Dublin v Galway

Started by INDIANA, March 24, 2010, 11:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Very disappointing from Dublin. Less said the better. Good start but faded. Say more on it  in the coming days

Galway well worth there win. They've a long way to go but they play an enterprising brand of defending and attacking football and seem to have the balance right with Sice as the sweeper. Bradshaw is a gem though. Pretty sure I earmarked him 12 months ago for stardom.

Galway will be very good when they get the 3 lads back. Kernan has them in his pocket now and that can only be good for Galway football. Might take  acouple of seasons though

Unfortunately though overall I doubt either side will be at the business end of the all-ireland this year. we certainly won't be anyway.

Hound

A game the Dubs definitely should have won IMO.

Absolutely rampant at the start, but missing the two gilt edged goal chances came back to haunt us, and we brought Galway into the game by giving away stupid frees.

How de fack do our lads not understand the handpass rule. Feckin eejits. Galway were only caught once or twice, we were caught out a heap of times, and in crucial areas - twice in front of their posts and once right in front of ours. 3 points down the drain in a flash. (seeing the Gooch not pulled up for the blatant palm for the Kerry goal in the other match added to the frustration!)

Very refreshing to see us playing proper attacking football at the start (though it didnt last). Hubbard was very good in the corner, but I still think he's a waste of space out the field. Bonner and Flynn were the worst two players on the field in the first half, so not surprised Bonner didnt return for the 2nd. Amazed that Flynn lasted the 70 given he didnt improve. Hubbard lasting till 65 was silly too, he wasnt in it in the 2nd half. McAuley was very good in the 2nd half, but needs to be more composed when in possession. I get really frustrated with Cian O'Sullivan - super footballer, but makes far too many silly mistakes, which more often than not lead to scores. All down to lack of concetration. If he can sort that out he'll be great. Until then he should be a wing back, with Cahill at 6.

Not sure what happened us when the scores went level and they went a man down. Whoever wanted it more was going to win it at that stage, and Galway grabbed the initiative while we went to sleep.

Great performance by Bernard. Surprised Alan didnt come on, he was warming up on the touchline.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it. I don't believe for one second that Gilroy targeted a league final this year. The aim was to beat Kerry in the first game, then wholesale experiment and not get relegated. The reason we were top for a while was wholly down to poor opposition and bit of luck. Hard to believe Gilroy wouldnt want the benefit of a league final in front of a packed Croker, but I think 3rd place will do him just fine.

INDIANA

Quote from: Hound on March 28, 2010, 09:00:40 AM

Absolutely rampant at the start, but missing the two gilt edged goal chances came back to haunt us, and we brought Galway into the game by giving away stupid frees.

How de fack do our lads not understand the handpass rule. Feckin eejits. Galway were only caught once or twice, we were caught out a heap of times, and in crucial areas - twice in front of their posts and once right in front of ours. 3 points down the drain in a flash. (seeing the Gooch not pulled up for the blatant palm for the Kerry goal in the other match added to the frustration!)

Very refreshing to see us playing proper attacking football at the start (though it didnt last). Hubbard was very good in the corner, but I still think he's a waste of space out the field. Bonner and Flynn were the worst two players on the field in the first half, so not surprised Bonner didnt return for the 2nd. Amazed that Flynn lasted the 70 given he didnt improve. Hubbard lasting till 65 was silly too, he wasnt in it in the 2nd half. McAuley was very good in the 2nd half, but needs to be more composed when in possession. I get really frustrated with Cian O'Sullivan - super footballer, but makes far too many silly mistakes, which more often than not lead to scores. All down to lack of concetration. If he can sort that out he'll be great. Until then he should be a wing back, with Cahill at 6.

Not sure what happened us when the scores went level and they went a man down. Whoever wanted it more was going to win it at that stage, and Galway grabbed the initiative while we went to sleep.

Great performance by Bernard. Surprised Alan didnt come on, he was warming up on the touchline.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it. I don't believe for one second that Gilroy targeted a league final this year. The aim was to beat Kerry in the first game, then wholesale experiment and not get relegated. The reason we were top for a while was wholly down to poor opposition and bit of luck. Hard to believe Gilroy wouldnt want the benefit of a league final in front of a packed Croker, but I think 3rd place will do him just fine.

I don't think being humiliated by Cork in a league final is what is needed Hound. Think we are as well off out of it. Massive barney between Gilroy and Fennell at the end of the first half. We don't have a midfield that can field the ball. Mc Auley is the only option we have and he was dropped.
It is impossible Hound for a half forward line to function when your midfield can't win aerial ball or have a variety of breaking ball systems that the likes of Tyrone have. When you play on your own 45 line like we do- i'd hate to be a half forward on the Dublin team.
Right off to the Neller to watch the hurlers!

Hound

Quote from: INDIANA on March 28, 2010, 01:45:56 PM

I don't think being humiliated by Cork in a league final is what is needed Hound. Think we are as well off out of it. Massive barney between Gilroy and Fennell at the end of the first half. We don't have a midfield that can field the ball. Mc Auley is the only option we have and he was dropped.
It is impossible Hound for a half forward line to function when your midfield can't win aerial ball or have a variety of breaking ball systems that the likes of Tyrone have. When you play on your own 45 line like we do- i'd hate to be a half forward on the Dublin team.
Midfield had nothing to do with the non-performance of the half forwards Indy. Its was an odd game in that both midfields were mediocre and there was no dominant fielder.

Playing against a proper team in Croker would be very beneficial in my view. The rest of Leinster are as bad as us, and we'd learn more in a league final than we will in the whole Leinster championship.

INDIANA

Quote from: Hound on March 28, 2010, 04:22:45 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on March 28, 2010, 01:45:56 PM

Midfield had nothing to do with the non-performance of the half forwards Indy. Its was an odd game in that both midfields were mediocre and there was no dominant fielder.

Playing against a proper team in Croker would be very beneficial in my view. The rest of Leinster are as bad as us, and we'd learn more in a league final than we will in the whole Leinster championship.

I disagree. A 10 point hiding by Cork is the last thing we need. We're not equipped to play Cork and Co this season. If you midfield don't even carry the threat of catching the ball the opposition half backs will piss up and down the pitch all day long. I've never seen us so poor in that area.

Hound

Nevertheless a league final would be the best preparation we had for a non-Leinster championship knockout match that we've had in at least 5 years.

Boozehell

After a great perfrormance by Down gettin promoted to Div 1 enjoyed a laugh looking at the Dublin result losing AGAIN.  The All Ireland is in the bag for ye lads. PMSL
Down GAA to the last.

INDIANA

Quote from: Boozehell on March 29, 2010, 12:20:15 PM
After a great perfrormance by Down gettin promoted to Div 1 enjoyed a laugh looking at the Dublin result losing AGAIN.  The All Ireland is in the bag for ye lads. PMSL

Sorry Down? Can't beat Fermanagh in the championship. Yep really a team to fear. Lets face it div 2 is a pretty woeful standard this year.

Hound

Quote from: INDIANA on March 29, 2010, 12:27:27 PM
Quote from: Boozehell on March 29, 2010, 12:20:15 PM

Sorry Down? Can't beat Fermanagh in the championship. Yep really a team to fear. Lets face it div 2 is a pretty woeful standard this year.
Ah, to be fair, Down have the All Ireland sown up this year. Sure it'd pointless for anyone else to turn up. PMSL.

Boozehell

The Leinster Championship is that poor a good U-10 team could win it and when you do you think you are world beaters and spout how you are gonna win the All Ireland but actually choke when it comes to the big games.
Down GAA to the last.

Hound

Quote from: Boozehell on March 29, 2010, 12:44:44 PM
The Leinster Championship is that poor a good U-10 team could win it and when you do you think you are world beaters and spout how you are gonna win the All Ireland but actually choke when it comes to the big games.
A big game?

Jeez, its a long time since Down played in one alright.

BTW, please show us some of these posts where Dubs claim we're going to win the All Ireland? That would show that you are not actually a complete tool.

heffo

Good Lord, perhaps if Down don't get knocked out by a Div 3 team this year you might the opportunity to show everyone else how Down never choke on the big day.

myball22

Great result from a Galway point of view. I think there were a number of positives to be taken from the game.

We were 5-1 down and coughed up a couple of goal chances, I thiught we were going to be on the end of a hammering. The long ball in wasn't working and Dublin were using the blanket defence to good effect. Then Galway realised that when the Dublin half-foward line was pushed back into defence and the full-foward line holding their positions. Then Galway could try to attack up one side of the pitch, if it wasn't working out they could retreat to the half back line, regroup and attack again. I couldn't understand how Dublin let this continue!!!

There was a definite increase in Galway's intensity and workrate after the first 15 minutes. Also we were pushing pressure on Dublin high up the pitch and turning over possession in good areas. Also it has to be said the ref gave us a few handy frees as any good Meathman would  ;)

There were big performances from Fitzy, Declan Meehan until his sening off, Conroy after his introduction, Sice ad Bradshaw. Also we didn't bottle it when Dublin equalised and we went down to 14 men, but fought hard to get the win. Hopefully we are developing a bit of backbone we've been lacking in recent years. We're still coughing up too many easy frees in defence, and winning ball in midfield is still an issue but I think we're progressing.

For Dublin, Bernard Brogan played well as did Keaney when he came on and I though McConnell had good spells during the game but they need a lot of work like Galway. 

micka the dub

did you come up with that all by yourself,go on out and play before your ma takes your computer off you .

AZOffaly

Quote from: heffo on March 29, 2010, 01:00:53 PM

Good Lord, perhaps if Down don't get knocked out by a Div 3 team this year you might the opportunity to show everyone else how Down never choke on the big day.

Did Wicklow not beat Down last year? I'm sure they did. Along with 2 other Ulster counties if I recall correctly. And Wicklow are in Leinster, and Division 4 I believe.

Some bunch of under 10s in fairness.