Once again.....Ireland's Call....

Started by balladmaker, November 20, 2008, 12:27:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidelineKick

Its a bit of a joke in my opinion, but you can be sure the rugger buggers will tell you its just great.  I actually had an argument with my cousin about this when he said that it should replace the national anthem (entirely across the board not just rugby).  So it was very hard not to just floor him on the spot.

I have no problem listening to it, but I dont think in any circumstances a new anthem should be made just to please the minority.  As time goes on politcal correctness and the likes are just getting more and more ridiculous.  Im sure alot of the irish rugby players feel very sad that they cant sing the national anthem before ALL of their matches.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

balladmaker

QuoteAnd if there are two juristictions and so two anthems, how come only one gets played on away games - surely that is an insult to the majority juristiction.

For what its worth, I turn off the volume when that pathetic excuse of an anthem Irelands Call is played. It turns my stomach and does not represent me. I'd rather have no anthem than that.

Hit the nail on the head there Myles.

Gnevin

Not a massive fan of it but as a comprise it's ok.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

SidelineKick

Do you think that a compromise was needed?  I have protestant friends who attend GAA matches and I am sure they are not over the moon about having to stand for the national anthem but they dont mind because they know what to expect.

Reported.

balladmaker

I understand the compromise point i.e. play both....but what I don't like is the way the official National Anthem is dropped for all away games...surely something badly wrong with this.  How can it offend anyone at away games, when it isn't considered to be offensive at home games.

We should apologise to no one for the lyrical content of our Anthem which was written almost a century ago.

I think the point is not the fact that Ireland's Call exists, but why does the National Anthem not stand beside it with equality, irrespective of where the game is played.

SidelineKick

Quote from: balladmaker on November 20, 2008, 11:02:33 AM
I understand the compromise point i.e. play both....but what I don't like is the way the official National Anthem is dropped for all away games...surely something badly wrong with this.  How can it offend anyone at away games, when it isn't considered to be offensive at home games.

We should apologise to no one for the lyrical content of our Anthem which was written almost a century ago.

I think the point is not the fact that Ireland's Call exists, but why does the National Anthem not stand beside it with equality, irrespective of where the game is played.

Couldn't have put it better myself.  Totally agree.

Reported.

Gnevin

I think we should of picked a Nation Once Again for the anthem but that is a other issue .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Main Street

Quote from: Tankie on November 20, 2008, 10:24:58 AM
Quote from: Main Street on November 20, 2008, 01:25:18 AM
Quote from: Tankie on November 20, 2008, 12:36:43 AM
The reason the national anthem is played at home games is due to the fact that the president or the government may be at the game (well thats the excuse anyway). can people not just get over the Irelands call thing ff!
It might help some to get over it if you wrote something sensible.
The anthem is played and the flag is flown because the game is played in the jurisdiction of the Republic.

When the president is there in an official capacity, a short version of the anthem is also played. That is the presidential salute, played in her honour.

No your are incorrect, if that was the case they should have played GSTQ in Ravenhill last year as they were in NI. there is no obligation to play the national anthem in Ireland ahead of Irelands Call but it is seem as a compromise to play it in Ireland as it would upset too many people if it was not played!

Compromise Main Street, if the two traditions are ever to get on we will need more of it!!!!

What are you blabbering about now?
I corrected your nonsense about why the Irish anthem is played in Lansdowne.
That is the IRFU policy at Lansdowne. They can change that policy if they so decide according to the IRFU procedures.

Whatever happens at Ravenhill is another matter altogether and has nothing to do with why the ANbF is played at Lansdowne.

Tankie

Quote from: Main Street on November 20, 2008, 11:48:35 AM
The reason the national anthem is played at home games is due to the fact that the president or the government may be at the game (well thats the excuse anyway). can people not just get over the Irelands call thing ff!
The anthem is played and the flag is flown because the game is played in the jurisdiction of the Republic.

When the president is there in an official capacity, a short version of the anthem is also played. That is the presidential salute, played in her honour.

No your are incorrect, if that was the case they should have played GSTQ in Ravenhill last year as they were in NI. there is no obligation to play the national anthem in Ireland ahead of Irelands Call but it is seem as a compromise to play it in Ireland as it would upset too many people if it was not played!

Compromise Main Street, if the two traditions are ever to get on we will need more of it!!!!

That is the IRFU policy at Lansdowne. They can change that policy if they so decide according to the IRFU procedures.

Whatever happens at Ravenhill is another matter altogether and has nothing to do with why the ANbF is played at Lansdowne.

::) stop being so rude
Grand Slam Saturday!

45GoneShort

Quote from: Tankie on November 20, 2008, 11:51:59 AM

Maybe i've missed this somewhere - but at the last Ireland game in Ravenhill, what anthems were played??

armaghniac

Quoteis the fact that my son was taught it, and not taught his National Anthem in school.

I expect you wouldn't have seen that in Cullyhanna.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tankie

Quote from: SidelineKick on November 20, 2008, 10:39:35 AM
Its a bit of a joke in my opinion, but you can be sure the rugger buggers will tell you its just great.  I actually had an argument with my cousin about this when he said that it should replace the national anthem (entirely across the board not just rugby).  So it was very hard not to just floor him on the spot.

I have no problem listening to it, but I dont think in any circumstances a new anthem should be made just to please the minority.  As time goes on politcal correctness and the likes are just getting more and more ridiculous.  Im sure alot of the irish rugby players feel very sad that they cant sing the national anthem before ALL of their matches.

lads we must remember that this song was created because Unionist players were going to refuse to play for Ireland in the late 80's / early 90's. this would have left the IRFU with a choice to split or create this song. I am no big fan of this song but it is obvious that some players are just as anti Amhran na bhFiann as we are pro Amhrán na bhFiann so these people must be included.

Also this is a sporting event and I am in noway implying that we change our national anthem, but for the sake of a sporting team i think it is a fair compromise.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Tankie

Quote from: 45GoneShort on November 20, 2008, 11:54:32 AM

Maybe i've missed this somewhere - but at the last Ireland game in Ravenhill, what anthems were played??

Irelands Call was played
Grand Slam Saturday!

Roger

Main Street understands the situation.

The current situation is not the correct thing for the IRFU to do in my opinion and the IRFU's policy is inconsistent.  Playing of two songs before a game also takes the piss and is rude to opponents. But it is fairly typical of the IRFU to not want to upset the commonly misguided view that SS represents the island of Ireland in defiance of reality.

45GoneShort

Quote from: Tankie on November 20, 2008, 11:58:27 AM
Quote from: 45GoneShort on November 20, 2008, 11:54:32 AM

Irelands Call was played

No AnBF - i suppose the question is - when is a home game not a home game, but i suppose the IRFU have to try and please everyone. I don't really care what they play at their games as i have only passing interest in the Rugby as i don't see it as anywhere near a good a game to watch as Gaelic football never mind Hurling.