Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

milltown you'd probablly find that with regard to only certain members doing the work around facilities etc it's the same in most clubs. Unfortunate really as some / too many people in clubs are prepared to take a lot and not give a lot back!

theskull1

Quote from: milltown row on February 12, 2008, 03:55:20 PM
so Skull, can you remeber that game back must have been clos to 20 years ago?

I think it was Tipp milltown. Yeah Pat Fox and Nicky English were playing that day. My guess is that it was between 85 & 87, but can't remember a whole lot about the game other than tipp winning
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Baile an tuaigh

This is the last National league game that I remember in Dunloy. Was Babs first game in charge of Tipperary. Lets hope a good crowd turns out for Antrim. A long way for Wexford to travel should be worth at least four points to Antrim

slow corner back

I was at that match up in Dunloy, Antrim were going reasonably at the time but the match was in Div 2 I think. I remember being very confident about winning because a) I was young and stupid, B) Tipp had not done anything for about 15 years so I did not think they were a force. Needless to say by the time the game was over I had revised my opinion of both sides.
The only other thing I remember the match for was a brief appearance by a priest, Fr John O Donovan I think, who hurled for Lamh Dearg. He was a cork man who was the PP in Hannahstown and hurled for them. I had played against him earlier that year in the Junior Hurling Final when he had destroyed us by himself and earned a place on the Antrim panel. Funny to note that back then Lamh Dearg were a junior team and Armoys seconds could make a county junior final. Changed times now.

milltown row

i also played against that priest, in the south antrim league, dirty so an so. not a bad hurler, christ was it over 20 years ago? were does all the years go. think your right about it being a div 2 game. it was that priest that promoted hurling within the club.

PlayWithTheWind

from the county website:

NHL Antrim v Wexford - 17.02.08 Dunloy 13.00pm13 February 2008
The Antrim panel to play Wexford is as follows (this should not necessarily be ragrded as the starting 15):

1. Ryan  McGarry

2. Aaron Graffin
3. Neil McGarry
4. Sean Delargy

5. Ciaran Herron
6. Karl Mc Keegan
7. Kevin Elliott

8. Neil Mc Manus
9. Eddie  McCloskey

10. Michael Magill
11. Liam Watson
12. Paddy McGill

13. Karl Stewart
14. Cormac Donnelly
15. Simon McCrory

16. Ronan Kearney
17. Michael Kettle
18. Michael McCambridge
19. Shane McNaughton
20. Donal McNaughton
21. Cathal McAuley
22. Barry McFall
23. Darren Hamill
24. Mark McFadden
25. Philip Maguire
26. P.J O'Connell
27. Colm Duffin
28. Brendan Quinn
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

PlayWithTheWind

;D uve lost the plot  hardstation

PlayWithTheWind

will McFaul ever make the break through?

is this true hardstation or are you just bored and fancied a wee sing-a-long?

PlayWithTheWind

got a txt tonight, you will never guess who was at senior hurling training tonight in dunloy

wait for it..

Kevin McGourty

milltown row

Joint Antrim Senior Hurling managers, Terence McNaughton and Dominic McKinley have taken the unusual step of issuing a statement to head off potential widespread rumour and innuendo surrounding suggestions that former county senior footballer, Kevin McGourty has joined the senior hurling panel.

In a statement released this evening they have stated that "discussions with Kevin had taken place before his dismissal from the senior football football squad".

"We had spoken to Kevin on this issue a number of weeks ago. It is no secret that Antrim senior hurlers lack substantial strength in depth in terms of forwards. We are always looking to try to strengthen the panel".

"This has been compounded by the absence of the Dunloy contingent, particularly Paddy Richmond and Paul Shields who are on duty with their club in the All Ireland Club semi-final".

"The door to joining the senior hurling squad is never closed to anyone. We will continue to look at any player who may have something to contribute to this senior hurling set-up".

"Kevin McGourty is just one such player. He will be given a trial period during which we can assess whether his hurling abilities are good enough for him to join the squad. At this stage, that is all that has occurred".

Both managers were keen to stress that "other players have been given opportunities such as this by them, when they managed different teams".

"We recognise that the timing of this will raise a few eyebrows in certain quarters. However, we have a responsibility to ensure that we take whatever steps we feel are necessary to strengthen this squad".

"Kevin McGourty stared training with the hurlers this evening on a trial basis only. If he is good enough and demonstrates the total committment, discipline and dedication necessary to join this panel, then he will be invited to become part of the set-up".

"If he doesn't do that, then he wont. It's as simple as that". 

he told me last week about this,  i thought it was a wind up, i'm very confused

SouthArmaghBandit

So he hasn't time for football training but he has time for hurling training in Dunloy.  ???

theskull1

Jesus
Was just logging on and going to ask whether others thought that this could be a possibility? :o

I certainly think it's worth a punt due to his athletism, but his stickwork will be rusty as hell as he hasn't played for years (correct me if I'm wrong milltown)

...just read that statement milltown

If he is only there on a trial basis, I can't see him getting his stickwork sharpened up to the right level in such a short period of time. IMO he would need 3-4 months to get anything he had hurling wise back
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

milltown row

he would tell you himself that his stick work is atrocious, but with some training he could  get it at some level.

he played one game for the seniors last year a couple for the reserves and that was it. the year before he played a lot.

we've had 10 training sessions this year with 30 training and Kevin has not been to any. with all his commitments, i'm sure he finds it hard to get the time ;D

as i said before he told me this two friday's ago. they met at a cafe in belfast and discussed about playing hurling. i thought it was a wind up at the time

NAG

Lads

This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard coming from the hurling camp since S&W took charge and believe there has been som crap coming out of that camp. Now dont get me wrong this is nothing personal against Kevin in anyway, my personal feelings I have about him I will keep to myself.

But it needs to be said by someone that we are over looking players that are far far far better than him to be even giving him a trial period is a joke. He is a cracking athlete of that there is no doubt but anyone who has seen him actually holding a hurl and who knows anything about the game knows that he is never going to be good enough for senior county level.

What happened to the youth policy so vigourously followed by the managers, if we are going back on that let me throw a few names at you that are not part of the current panel and you can decide for yourselves whether Kevin could hold a candle to these guys Hurling wise:

Liam Richmond - Dunloy
Greg O'Kane - Dunloy
Ciaran Kelly - Ballycastle
Brian McFall - St Johns
Conor McCambridge - Cushendall
Aidan Delargy - Cushendall

need I go on, I am actualy more insulted by this rumour than anything else. Time for a rethink!

Glensman

NAG you do have a personal vendetta, not against McGourty but against S&W.

The names you have thrown in:
Liam Richmond - Dunloy              Not sure whether he would play even if called up and that would be AFTER Dunloy's involvement.
Greg O'Kane - Dunloy                 Retired. Super player.
Ciaran Kelly - Ballycastle                Not sure whether he has made the call himself and retired from intercounty hurling but although a great player and servant not sure he'll get back to that level.   
Brian McFall - St Johns                   Will be a super club player for a few years more but too slow for current county standards
Conor McCambridge - Cushendall     Retired from county. Great player.
Aidan Delargy - Cushendall              Left panel last year (I think). Agree he would deserve his place in the forwards.

Comparing The Messiah (my new name for McG as he resurrects himself more than than the good lord did himself) to those players is stupid and proves nothing.

Now the statement I am not so sure about, but at least S&W tackled the problem/comments to follow on The Messiah's inclusion head on. Adding an athletic, strong player to the panel will only help with training matches etc. He was a great underage hurler as well.
We hear of these closed doors, 15 aside training matches down in Kilkenny where "the standard is better than some intercounty hurling matches" we should go for them ourselves. Players could be called in who are impressing in the leagues for such games. Nothing would keep a county player on his toes like the fear of being dropped due to a bad game in one of these.

That S&W have laid out this policy is a very good thing in my opinion - for too long county panels have been closed doors. It means as I've said above should players impress in the leagues they have a chance.

One thing that would sit strangely with me is if I was a St Galls hurling player - training away this year and then the Messiah makes the county panel.

Dropped at the weekend and on the third day he rose again. We play Kilkenny on Easter Sunday I believe - I am expecting big things.

All you doubting Thomas(es) can sit back and watch.