Gavin Duffy Joins Mayo Panel

Started by Syferus, May 14, 2014, 11:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

QuoteFormer Connacht and Ireland full-back Gavin Duffy in training with Mayo

Former Connacht and Ireland star Gavin Duffy has started training with the Mayo senior footballers and, according to former Mayo star David Brady, he has been impressing.

Brady told Off The Ball on Newstalk this evening that Duffy, who failed to win a contract with Connacht for next season, took part in his first session with James Horan's men last night.

"I think [James Horan] has made a master move by bringing in Gavin Duffy, the ex-Irish international rugby player and long-time Connacht player into the Mayo panel. At the age of 32 or 33, I think it's a great move," Brady said.

"Someone said to me that he didn't just fit in, he stood out.

"Look at the experience he has and I think it will only add to the Mayo setup."

Duffy played a huge role in Mayo's path to a All-Ireland minor final in Croke Park in 1999, where they were beaten by a Benny Coulter inspired Down team.

Lining out at midfield during that campaign, Duffy gained a reputation as brilliant fielder of the ball which must of helped him when he embarked on a successful career at full-back in rugby union.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/former-connacht-and-ireland-fullback-gavin-duffy-in-training-with-mayo-30275640.html

Glad to see Mayo have another big, strong lad who is good at jumping up and catching balls.

He does look a bit old, though:

Wildweasel74

ha you never lose it, i remember what this lad at minors, he be up to the fitness through the rugby, long time out though, mayo are overlaid with midfielders but it be interesting if he can be converted for cover at Fullback

orangeman

GalwayBayBoy

Have a season ticket with Connacht and from a rugby perspective anyway, Gavin has sadly looked over the hill for the past 18 months. Great player for Connacht but his form really nosedived once he started losing a bit of pace. Think he started doubting himself then in a position where you have to be decisive (full-back).

Haven't a clue what his football is like these days. Best of luck to him anyway.

Never beat the deeler

Not sure if this will be a major coup de gras or a detracting sideshow - possibly somewhere in between.

BTW - who wrote that article? 'must of' FFS
Hasta la victoria siempre

Jinxy

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 14, 2014, 11:38:12 PM
ha you never lose it, i remember what this lad at minors, he be up to the fitness through the rugby, long time out though, mayo are overlaid with midfielders but it be interesting if he can be converted for cover at Fullback

He'll be big and strong.
He needs to be agile and quick though.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jinxy

Ger Brady was playing plenty of football back then.
Duffy has been exclusively playing a completely different sport for the last 10+ years and is returning to gaelic football at an age when most gaelic footballers are retiring.

Lone Shark

I'd suspect myself this is a lot more about the positive influence he can have on a squad in terms of the professional athlete's lifestyle and so on, rather than a reflection of James Horan feeling that he'll be a great man to throw into the fray against Dublin or Kerry with fifteen minutes to go. In that regard inviting him into the squad could be a very good move.

Jinxy

He's already well used to not winning stuff anyway.

heffo

Quote from: Jinxy on May 15, 2014, 01:07:52 AM

He'll be big and strong.

I remember Eric Miller lumbering around full forward (like the Mayo midfield last September) for a couple of games nearly ten years ago post-rugby

Walter Cronc

Quote from: heffo on May 15, 2014, 08:50:10 AM

He'll be big and strong.

I remember Eric Miller lumbering around full forward (like the Mayo midfield last September) for a couple of games nearly ten years ago post-rugby

Big difference in the movement of a modern day fullback and a flanker. Besides Miller was never the fittest player!

ballinaman

Quote from: heffo on May 15, 2014, 08:50:10 AM

He'll be big and strong.

Miller was converting.
Duffy has always been regarded as being a better footballer than rugby player before turning professional.
6'1....15 stone on the Connacht website. Brilliant character to have around the team even if he doesn't kick a ball.

Jinxy

regal

It's hardly a midfielder mayo need. They badly need a centre half back / centre half forward though

Jinxy

Quote from: ballinaman on May 15, 2014, 09:25:13 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 15, 2014, 09:23:09 AM
I honestly don't get that.
That's ok.

What exactly are the Mayo players going to learn from a guy that played for the weakest provincial rugby team in the country?
You should train properly and look after yourself?
Don't mind this lad, get Ciaran McDonald back.