Dermot Earley Snr RIP

Started by Dinny Breen, June 23, 2010, 01:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rossie mad

Actually didnt realise that when i posted about the museum commeration.
To describe reading back through this thread as a tad emotional would be an understatement.

ross matt

Quote from: ross4life on June 23, 2011, 03:33:07 PM
Yes first anniversary of Dermot's death today.

To quote the great man. "Your attitude is more important than your ability. your motives are more important than your methods. your courage is more important than your cleverness. And have your heart in the right place.

RIP

Nice one.
Also I always remember what he said about losing the '80 AI final.
"The fear of losing overtook the desire to win".

spectator

ross4life

Gorthaganny Community Council revealed the Dermot Earley monument today & a fitting piece to honour a great man

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

heffo

Very nice Ross...won't be the last I'd imagine.

ross matt

Quote from: ross4life on August 27, 2011, 03:54:35 PM
Gorthaganny Community Council revealed the Dermot Earley monument today & a fitting piece to honour a great man

Excellent.
Thanks for posting Ross.

Syferus

I went to the Dermot Earley memorial unveiling ceremony in Gorthaganny yesterday, there was a great turnout from around the county, Kildare and the army. Most of the 70's-80's team that played with Dermot where there, as was Micheal O'Muircheartaigh (who's an even greater man in the flesh than he is on radio) and even Kildare people, not least of which being Johnny Doyle and Kieran McGeeney.

The President unveiled the statue - of Dermot eternally in action for Roscommon - and gave a great speech, as did David Earley, Dermot's eldest son. It gave the people who grew up with him in Gorthaganny a chance to honour him and to say good-bye - my father had the honour of playing kick-about with Dermot when they were young as well as with him for Michael Glavey's - which was no mean feat given his stature. Few men are great enough to deserve a statue in their image but none could argue that Dermot's life and impact on so many didn't deserve one.

The memorial itself a very special place - right beside his family home, where his 91 year-old mother still lives, adjacent to the primary school that he went to (and the reason his father moved to Gorthaganny in the first place) and across the road is the field where he kicked his first football, so it's as fitting tribute as you could imagine to perhaps the greatest Roscommon player of all time, and easily one of the greatest men ever to be born on these isles. I don't think there's a single person who met him that doesn't have something good to say about him. On the field he was a true sportsman who always tried to be fair and honest and in turn was the heart that inspired the great Roscommon team of the 70's and 80's. He embodied everything good we want to see in ourselves and he is, rightfully, nothing short of a hero to the people of Roscommon.

The memories will live forever.

Louth Exile

There is also an excellent Dermot Earley exhibition in the GAA museum at the moment. I don't know how long it is there for, but I was impressed with it when I saw it during the week.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Syferus

Quote from: Louth Exile on August 28, 2011, 11:00:34 PM
There is also an excellent Dermot Earley exhibition in the GAA museum at the moment. I don't know how long it is there for, but I was impressed with it when I saw it during the week.

It's going to be there until March and it's a lovely collection of items from both sides of his life, sporting and the army. I made a point of getting Cusack Stand seats for the Tyrone match to see the exhibition and it was well worth the effort.

Donnellys Hollow

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Rossfan

Great day on Saturday.
Privilege to be there but I would much prefer if there hadnt been a need for it till about 2020 or 2030.  :'(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Just thought I'd throw up a few pictures of the monument as a whole and the plaques for anyone that's interested but not able to get there in the short-term:

mup

Syferus thanks for the pics. The monument looks very well done. Will deffo pay in a visit in the near future.

seafoid

I just came across this website. It's Glynn photography in Castlerea and they have a great selection of historical images from around the town and the county including a good few football ones.

http://historical.glynnsphotography.com/showcase/h3b906c4e#h22410d8f

Donnellys Hollow

Nice to see this thread back on the first page in the week when Sarsfields won their first county title since Dermot passed away.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?