Dermot Earley Snr RIP

Started by Dinny Breen, June 23, 2010, 01:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 24, 2012, 10:20:32 PM
Nice to see this thread back on the first page in the week when Sarsfields won their first county title since Dermot passed away.

And Michael Glavey's lost the junior final here last weekend..! Dermot would have been split in two last Sunday if he was still with us.

johnpower

Syferus

Arrah sure why wouldn't you sing about number 8? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J99Ql0QBfPo

And a recent article while I'm at it:

QuoteDermot Earley: An Officer and a Gentleman

TUESDAY, 11 JUNE 2013 12:34

A trip to Gorthaganny evokes Dermot Earley's memory

by Willie McHugh

CHAMPIONSHIP time. They live for days like this along a tract of land where Mayo and Roscommon share more than a nodding acquaintance. Football is the common denominator in a region where a pole points signs to places in both counties. Ballyhaunis and Ballaghaderreen, Castlerea and Kilkelly. Ballinlough, Coney Island and Loughglynn of the famed woodlands celebrated in song and story.

A healthy rivalry exists. Rival flags unfurl in neighbouring houses.  In places like Carrowbehy they flutter in the same front garden.

The Roscommon border crossing is just beyond the ball alley in Brackloon North. Travel a barrel of tar and a dumper load of blinding chips stretch of road and you're in Gorthaganny.  It was to here Mayo native Peadar Earley came to take up a teaching post in the local national school. Martin Walshe from Errew remembers the day of Peadar's arrival in the classroom because it also coincided with his first day at school.

Little could he or even the greatest visionary have envisaged all those moons ago the lasting legacy Peadar's son Dermot would bequeath to this tiny outpost. Gorthaganny became home to Dermot Earley, soldier and footballer. The young Dermot was a few classes ahead of Martin but it was in this school playground a friendship that lasted a lifetime was first forged.

After finishing secondary school in Saint Nathy's College in Ballaghaderreen, Dermot joined the Defence Forces in 1965. He rose through the ranks and served as a Military Observer with the United Nations Troop Supervision Organisation on the Golan Heights and later in the Sinai Desert.

Dermot's career path led him to the highest office and in February 2008 the young man from Gorthaganny was appointed Chief of Staff of the Defence Forces. In April 2010 he received the highest accolade of all when he was awarded a Distinguished Services Medal.

Following Dermot's untimely passing that same year, the people of Gorthaganny made a vow to honour the memory of their most famous son. They were true to their word.

But it wasn't in his military attire they dressed him in a statue of bronze in the front garden of his Gorthaganny home. They cast him togged in the jersey of his beloved Roscommon, the other uniform he wore with immense pride. It was in the primrose and gold he became a household name and an instantly recognisable sportsman, even in an era of limited media exposure.

Mention Roscommon in any football gathering and Dermot Earley's name instantly rolls off the tongue. When Roscommon appeared your eye was immediately drawn to him. He was their inspirational leader and the heart and soul of Roscommon football.  A tower of strength who always used but never abused his natural physicality in the pursuit of victory.

A sportsman to his fingertips and with Dermot Earley what you saw was what you got. The great fetch, the giant stride forward, the well-hit long-range frees regularly landing on target.  Dermot Earley could point a '45 even back in the day when they were 50's.

IN Gorthaganny this week Martin Walshe recalled days of summers past.

1985 when Mayo beat Roscommon in a Connacht Final in Hyde Park and an impromptu sporting gesture that will never be forgotten. At the final whistle Eugene Rooney, Martin Carney, TJ Kilgallon Willie Joe, Noel Durcan and the other Mayo stalwarts carried him shoulder high from the field.

The 1972 Connacht Final in McHale Park on a sweltering hot day was probably Dermot Earley's finest hour as he drove Roscommon to victory.

A cameo from the game was when he and John Morley of Mayo got their bootlaces tangled in a race for possession. As the outcome of a Connacht Final unspooled around them, Earley and Morley sitting on the pitch laughing as they unravelled their shackles is an abiding memory. And Martin Walshe has no hesitation in staying within Mayo and citing the late John Morley as probably the only player comparable with Earley in everything that's good about Gaelic football.

Dermot was Gorthaganny to the core. To the family home he came to rest on nights before championship encounters. His charismatic nature a magnetic attraction and Dermot always made time to stop and chat. And that unique hooking handshake that enveloped you with its sincerity.

When they were opening an extension to their school in 2009 it was to their most famous past-pupil they turned to perform the official function.  It was to be Dermot's last public function in Gorthaganny. In his usual captivating eloquent delivery he recalled times growing up in the village and playing club football with his beloved Michael Glavey's.

He remembered three former classmates that day; Joe Gorman, Michael Mahon and Tom Flanagan lost their lives at Ballyclare railway crossing beyond Ballymoe returning home from a Roscommon/Sligo championship match in Hyde Park in 1977.

In Tony McNulty's field in Gorthaganny, Dermot spent many an evening honing his football skills with those departed friends and other lads from the neighbouring townlands.

Gorthaganny has done his memory proud. Their project is a credit to the community and the spirit therein. Attention to detail was the priority. It had to be because it was Dermot's mantra in life. It's an image that snatches and transports you back to the playing fields of Roscommon, Tuam or Castlebar. It's a brilliant piece of craftsmanship by that great sculptor Seamus Connolly from Loop Head on the coastline of Clare. Set in the surrounds of Lacken stone, the famous footballer is ever aiming the free he's lining up towards a goalpost somewhere in Mayo.

In Gorthaganny they'll never forget one of their own who walked the road of life as an officer and a gentleman. But on days like this when the furze bush sports yellow flowerings and the whitethorn blossoms in bloom, it's Dermot the footballer they remember fondest of all.

He's among them forever and a day now set in stone in his own front garden. It's an almost lifelike image. Or as near as makes no difference.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17955:dermot-earley-an-officer-and-a-gentleman&catid=14&Itemid=100008

When ever a Rossie is feeling down they just need to think of Dermot and everything feels a little better. RIP big man.

time ticking away

canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

seafoid

It is a pity he is not around to see the Rossies this year

A memorial card handed out at the funeral outlined the five points of his Plan for Life:
1. Enjoy time with my family; 2. Give the best to my work; 3. Give back to my community; 4. Spend my leisure time well; 5. Make time for God in my life".

Syferus

Ah don't make me well up Seafoid. The way the team are playing football at the moment would make Dermot very proud.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on March 14, 2016, 02:24:01 PM
Ah don't make me well up Seafoid. The way the team are playing football at the moment would make Dermot very proud.
This is very good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdI5sEKGWtE&ebc

anyway Syf it is about time !

giveballaghback

Thanks for that seafoid, class.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on March 14, 2016, 02:15:33 PM
It is a pity he is not around to see the Rossies this year

A memorial card handed out at the funeral outlined the five points of his Plan for Life:
1. Enjoy time with my family; 2. Give the best to my work; 3. Give back to my community; 4. Spend my leisure time well; 5. Make time for God in my life".

If Dermot Earley was alive today i think he would be president of Ireland instead of Michael D Higgins.

heffo

What a legend, thanks for posting.

Beffs

He was some man for one man alright.

seafoid

A huge loss. But a great man to have as a reference now the young lads are playing a nice style of football. Ros aren't there every year but when they do find a good team they can be very good.

seafoid

What music would be appropriate  for the return of the rossies ?

I was thinking of this. Carolan was a Rossie. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBiTDLpTUxY

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on March 15, 2016, 09:53:20 AM
What music would be appropriate  for the return of the rossies ?

I was thinking of this. Carolan was a Rossie. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBiTDLpTUxY

surely 'Men of Roscommon'.

Men of Roscommon are marching again.