Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milltown row

Ok back to hurling. Skull/Max are youse worried about Ballycran? they have some old timers battling away in Savage and Braniff (both 40) and a few young ones. similar mix like yourselves.

Dungiven are now free to concentrate on the hurling also (should they beat S'neill)

Ulster finals have been close over the last few years and i expect this to be just as close

maxpower

We'd be idiots to not be concerned by either the winners of Derry or Ballycran, Ballycran should have beaten in the drawn game in 2007 and Kevin Lynchs claim they deserved to win the final that year also (though i would disagree)

Ballycran have serious pace amoung some of their forwards and although B McGourty is a loss for them they will still revel in the open spaces of Casement park.

I see the Shamrocks took a bit of a beating in the Antrim league yesterday, 4-11 to 1-9 against Ballycastle, does that condemn the Johnnies to Div2 and should make us favourites for the league this year.

Its a bit mad that Dunloy took a bit of stick this year and yet could win all the Antrim competitions they are involved in (Feis, League & Championship)
What happens next????

milltown row

but thats grand you kept your heads down and got on with the business of winning.

Dunloy always go out to win their matches. a winning mentality and all that.

your old foes Birr were beat at the weekend and it seems Portumna will be the team to beat.

who do the Ulster winners get this year? Munster last year

saffron sam2

Billy Best (RIP) who was buried in Carrickfergus on Saturday was, I believe the last surviving member of the Antrim squad that reached the All-Ireland hurling final in 1943.

He was 89 when he died.

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

milltown row

Condolences for his family.

what club did he play for Saff?

Minder

Quote from: milltown row on October 05, 2009, 02:37:23 PM
but thats grand you kept your heads down and got on with the business of winning.

your old foes Birr were beat at the weekend and it seems Portumna will be the team to beat.

Galway champions, in all probability Portumna, are straight through to AI Semi.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

saffron sam2

Originally O'Connell's. May have finished at Rossa.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

clootfromthe21

Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 05, 2009, 02:45:31 PM
Billy Best (RIP) who was buried in Carrickfergus on Saturday was, I believe the last surviving member of the Antrim squad that reached the All-Ireland hurling final in 1943.

He was 89 when he died.

Was there some (albeit maybe tenuous) link between Billy Best and Georgie Best???

I have some memory of a puff piece around the time of the 89 Final making some connection between the two.

maxpower

I'd say that mentality has helped us over the years alright

I see Birr had 12 Offaly Championships in the last 2 decades, thats some going together with 4 All Irelands, beat Dunloy in 2 AI finals (one after a replay) and 2 All Ireland Semi finals (one of which Dunloy could have won)

Portumna are a serious side alright, I'd love to see the odds for the AI at this stage as i'd say they are a shocking short price despite only being at the semi final stage of a serious Galway championship.  The Galway winner play the Ulster winners
What happens next????

milltown row

better meeting Portumna (if ya have to meet them) in the semi final.

hope its in Clones.

theskull1

Could we please stop counting chickens
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: maxpower on October 05, 2009, 04:25:51 PM

I'd say that mentality has helped us over the years alright

I see Birr had 12 Offaly Championships in the last 2 decades, thats some going together with 4 All Irelands, beat Dunloy in 2 AI finals (one after a replay) and 2 All Ireland Semi finals (one of which Dunloy could have won)

Portumna are a serious side alright, I'd love to see the odds for the AI at this stage as i'd say they are a shocking short price despite only being at the semi final stage of a serious Galway championship.  The Galway winner play the Ulster winners

that 95 final was definately the one that got away. 2 get back in the final in 96 was some achievement after that dissapointment. I had a lot of admiration for that particular team back then. I would love to see Dunloy win an AI Club, it would be long overdue. BUT, as has been stated, there will be no complecancy in Dunloy and Feb/March 2010 is a long way off.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

milltown row

Quote from: theskull1 on October 05, 2009, 04:44:09 PM

unfortunately that comes with the territory. the bookies have made our footballers favourites for Ulster, i would say that any of the teams in that competition would feel confident of winning Ulster.

not too many people view these sites Skull, especially the hurling thread, ok you get the odd numpty from Tyrone who throws in a comment or two (wouldn't know how to hold a stick) and the odd ban/burn the hurl city man who has a whine and off course ya have the footballer trapped in the wrong club.  its all good craic and everyone hopes that Dunloy make it through.

whats evident is Dunloy have a bench that if called upon can change a game. Cushendall will tell ya that outside of the great 15 (which in fairness would compete with the best in Ireland) they would struggle to bring on a real quality player.

all the best for Sunday

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: milltown row on October 05, 2009, 06:48:10 PM

unfortunately that comes with the territory. the bookies have made our footballers favourites for Ulster, i would say that any of the teams in that competition would feel confident of winning Ulster.

not too many people view these sites Skull, especially the hurling thread, ok you get the odd numpty from Tyrone who throws in a comment or two (wouldn't know how to hold a stick) and the odd ban/burn the hurl city man who has a whine and off course ya have the footballer trapped in the wrong club.  its all good craic and everyone hopes that Dunloy make it through.

whats evident is Dunloy have a bench that if called upon can change a game. Cushendall will tell ya that outside of the great 15 (which in fairness would compete with the best in Ireland) they would struggle to bring on a real quality player.

all the best for Sunday

if that's me you're talking about, then cheers. It's a long time since i was called a footballer  :D
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

milltown row

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on October 05, 2009, 07:54:15 PM
Quote from: milltown row on October 05, 2009, 06:48:10 PM

all the best for Sunday

if that's me you're talking about, then cheers. It's a long time since i was called a footballer  :D

No  hoof not you