Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Antrim

Prob will boil down to Dunloy, Cushendall and Shamrocks.....will make for interesting stuff com september time!!!

johnneycool

Quote from: the colonel on May 29, 2007, 02:11:09 PM
dunloy and the dall to be there as winners. the bodies to choke as usual

The bodies choke in finals. If somehow both Cushendall and Dunloy falter before the final then I'd expect the bodies to have too much for anyone else even with their choking tag.

Problem is i don't see anyone else putting one over on either of the other two contenders. Maybe Ballycastle on a bog of a pitch on a real crap day!!

North Antrim

Poor aul Loughgiel.........they have buit up sum reputation over the last few years ;D ;D However there is sumthin nagging away inside saying this will be there year!! Dont know wot it is but there sumthing. It wud kill me but i just had to get that off my chest!!!

girt_giggler

Quote from: North Antrim on May 29, 2007, 10:35:55 AM
Fair enough comment alrite. IMO i think that if they dont deliver this year they are FINISHED!! ;D

Skull - Dunloy seem to be raking up big scores - Shane Eliiot, Gary O'Kane must be doing something right although you were very poor in Feis Cup. Who is training you this year??

Dunloy- Shane Elliot, Gary O'Kane,  trainer ??
Cushendall - Delargys Dad, trainer = McCambridge??
Ballycastle - Humpy, Dessie D, Olcan Laverty, Trainer = Michael McShane
Loughguile - Hooker Connelly, Dew McCmullan, trainer = Joe Cassidy
Glenariffe - Dominic Kearns, trainer ???
Carey - Micky Dallat, trainer = Noel Brick
Armoy - Ding Gillan

Any one know anybody else

Who is this Dew McMullan we speak of in the shamrocks camp?  ???

North Antrim

Not sure think he played in Antrim team of 89. I stand to be corrected. Well Giggler your a shamrock then, you tell me! Dont deny it cos im pretty sure you are. How are things going then up in bodie land?

Syd

Quote from: the colonel on May 29, 2007, 03:25:15 PM
loughgiel all depends on what liam watson turns up.

were you from north antrim?

North Antrim is from the land of the Lammas Fair.......

North Antrim

and the aul yellow man!! Im a member but wudnt say im a die hard supporter - more a fair weather!! Dont live in the town either. Have been out of it for about 6 years.......wudnt want to say where i live now as it wud definitely give my idenity away ;D

girt_giggler

Not a shamrock, hence why I asked my last question!  :-\  I am from the sea-side

Glensman

The Ding Gillan is is over Armoy? Which Ding Gillan...not the young one?

Shame to see that that still goes on - the tackle on Liam Richmond. Absolute sc**bag would do that.
When I was on the minor county panel a good 20 minutes of a training session was dedicated to one mentor advising us to take any possible opportunity to get a man's hands...if he sticks his hand up without protection then it was open season to break his hand...and that is almost a quote.
If we were to skelp a man's hand on the stick protecting his catching hand well then no harm done.

Absolute joke. When we got down south we were stuffed off the park...and were nowhere near any of the southern teams hands to be hitting them! Great the stuff we were concentrating on.

Tony Baloney

QuoteIf we were to skelp a man's hand on the stick protecting his catching hand well then no harm done.

Sure has that not been part of the mindset in club hurling especially at minor or reserve level that even if you didn't win the match you still had to nail somebody to have something to talk about in the pub afterwards.

North Antrim

Glensman - prob the reason why were so far behind.....our county is littered with rubbish men mascurading as coaches!!! The list is endless. Bar possibly woody & sambo i think the county minor set-up has been a total farce for years. As for underage - well sum men i see taking teams doesnt bear thinking about. Ah know they give up there time etc etc, but my word its incredible. I personally feel Humpy is the best underage coach around......He struggles with seniors but with underage where the real coaching is done he is the best about. His record with the town camogs is remarable. and believe me it is all down to his hard work and coaching. Remember there was no pedigree to start with...he takes raw talent and develops it. I feel county should employ him (go out of there way to fget him on board) as a full-time coach in the primary schools and with U-12, U-14's. I know seamus elliot was decent but his day is gone. Humpy is an absolute legend

theskull1

Quote from: North Antrim on May 29, 2007, 10:03:37 PM
I know seamus elliot was decent but his day is gone. Humpy is an absolute legend

talk about downplaying what seamus has acheived coaching underage (and senior) teams over the past 30 years  :-\. I think there are more appropriate words to describe this than "decent" don't you?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

Quote from: North Antrim on May 29, 2007, 10:03:37 PM
Glensman - prob the reason why were so far behind.....our county is littered with rubbish men mascurading as coaches!!! The list is endless. Bar possibly woody & sambo i think the county minor set-up has been a total farce for years. As for underage - well sum men i see taking teams doesnt bear thinking about. Ah know they give up there time etc etc, but my word its incredible. I personally feel Humpy is the best underage coach around......He struggles with seniors but with underage where the real coaching is done he is the best about. His record with the town camogs is remarable. and believe me it is all down to his hard work and coaching. Remember there was no pedigree to start with...he takes raw talent and develops it. I feel county should employ him (go out of there way to fget him on board) as a full-time coach in the primary schools and with U-12, U-14's. I know seamus elliot was decent but his day is gone. Humpy is an absolute legend

I'd of thought Seamus Elliott's record as a manager and a coach is second to none in Antrim and beyond. We had him down with us for a few weekends and he's as good as anyone who came through the gate and I'm including Nicky English and Johnny Dooley in that category.

As a matter of interest, who are the full time hurling coaches in Antrim? Is Seamus one of them?

In Down we've the bould John Crossey who for all his faults is a fairly good coach (poor manager) going round the primary schools, he must be able to switch vocabularies all the same :)

North Antrim

Skull, apologies made. I accept i didnt give seamus elliot the credit he derserves. He done a brilliant job over the last 15 years with underage coaching in the county - developing many successful venture as the Indoor Leagues, Clareway and opening up Hurling to many young people than ever before. He is himself a true legend in Hurling circles. The point i was trying to make, was seamus is now getting on in years and new fresh face with plenty of ehtusiasm as Humpy would be a great ambassador for coaching in Antrim.......Would you not agree??

Syd

Skull would i be off the mark with this opinion of Seamus Elliott that i have heard from several people? "He wouldnt take a s*ite without looking paid" Its just something i always hear when his name comes up.......