Best Stand-up Comedian

Started by Orior, November 06, 2010, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orangemac

Dylan Moran, Frank Skinner, Sean Hughes, Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy in his day.

Have warmed to Michael McIntyre eventually.

Jimmy Carr is funny yet you could only listen to 1 liners for so long.

Ricky Gervais is completely overrated. Tommy Tiernan used to be good but sems to have got a bit lazy the last few years.

Aardal O'Hanlon is pretty poor also.

Canalman

Peter Kay the best imo by a country mile. Saw a guy callled Jason Manford ( I think) on the box last week ............ very good also.

Went to the Comedy Club in Dublin a month or so ago (on the Quays) and the comedians there were all very good also.

paco

Can't understand people finding Ricky Gervais funny. I've watched a few of his standups and they weren't funny at all, I also remember he directed and starred in an episode of The Simpsons a few years back and it was awful! Like Dylan Moran, old school Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor. What's the general opinion on Keith Lemon? Don't think he's been mentioned so far and I'm curious to see what everyone thinks.

ziggysego

Quote from: paco on November 08, 2010, 02:50:17 PM
Can't understand people finding Ricky Gervais funny. I've watched a few of his standups and they weren't funny at all, I also remember he directed and starred in an episode of The Simpsons a few years back and it was awful! Like Dylan Moran, old school Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor. What's the general opinion on Keith Lemon? Don't think he's been mentioned so far and I'm curious to see what everyone thinks.

I think Ricky's stand up is hilarious, but granted, The Simpson's episode he wrote was terrible.

Don't like old school Eddie Murphy. Too crude and ignorance for me. Richard Pryor is in a different league, all based on his life.

Keith Lemon's just a character ;) Annoying though, don't find it funny at all.
Testing Accessibility

screenexile

Quote from: paco on November 08, 2010, 02:50:17 PM

He may not be everyone's cup of tea but imo Gervais' standup shows have all been brilliant and up there with Eddie Murphy & Billy Connolly.

His material is extremely clever and unlike most comedians which use self deprecation and portray themselves as losers he goes completely against that and still manages to make it funny. I would love to see one of his live shows!

Billys Boots

Anyone who likes Dylan Moran should look at some of the Dave Allen stuff - he might as well be his child.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

The Iceman

Sinbad released a new show called "where you been"
some clips on youtube   - thought it was one of the best standups i'd seen in a long time. Clean as well, not one curse in the whole set.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

johnneycool

Keith Lemon and Jimmy Carr's humour is better suited to the comedy quiz type set up as they've someone or something to abuse or work with, don't think I could sit through and hour or so of either of them though.

I quite like the big scouser with the big teeth, John Bishop.

Doogie Browser

For comedians I have seen, Dara O'Briain and Kevin McAleer (really!) were both a great laugh.
Would really love to see Rich Hall as I think he is fantastic.

armagho9

Sean Locke is very good, jimmy caar and Frankie Boyle are also very good.  Probably not as well known as the rest but went to see PJ Gallagher in Armagh theatre last year.  He was brilliant, going to see him again just before Christmas this year in same venue.

lynchbhoy

I thought dara obhrian and jimeoin were superb when I saw them years ago, also that red head hector lookalike Owen (O'Neill?) was funny.
I like most commedians - only one I have seen live that wasnt funny was deirdre okane.
apart from jo brand I cant think of a female commedienne thats consistently good.
o'kane though was just sihte!
she's good in 'intermission' though

Hardy

Oh Christ, Deirdre O'Kane. I wasn't going to bother posting here. Why are people interested in what other people like?

Anyway, nearly all comedians make me laugh and it's very hard to measure how much harder you're laughing at one than another. It's much easier to list the ones that don't make you laugh at all and I wasn't going to bother doing that until yer wan was mentioned. I'd managed to forget she existed for a few years, but it would be wrong to miss an opportunity to say how unfunny she is. She's as unfunny as being told you have a year to live and then falling down the doctor's stairs and breaking your neck.

So, while I'm at it:
Ricky Gervais
Rhod Gilbert (if you haven't seen him, I've done you a favour; unless you enjoy people who confuse loud with funny)
Mayall/Edmondson and that crowd (as for Gilbert, but add infantile)
The Little Britain/League Of Gentlemen crowd
Jo Brand
Eddie Murphy (as for Gilbert, but replace “loud” with “motherfucker”)
Eddie Izzard
Peter Kay seems to me like an old tired comic in a young man’s body)
Lee Evans
Oh Jesus, I nearly forgot – Alan Carr. Deirdre O’Kane without the macho vibe.

Two Hands FFS

Seen abit of 'live at the Apollo' on comedy central on Sunday night & there was an Aussie comedian.. Can't remember his name, he had a plastic leg, he was pretty funny but I suppose it was edited  for the best bits.

Clown

The best - Lee Mack, Michael McIntyre, Billy Connolly

Worst - Paddy Kielty, Lee Evans