Best Stand-up Comedian

Started by Orior, November 06, 2010, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Oh good one comedians I hate are:

Michael McIntyre (If you think jumping around a lot with floppy hair is funny)
Eddie Izzard (went to see him last year in Belfast, just completely unfunny)
Andy Parsons (just don't like him at all)
Russell Brand (speaks for itself really)
Colm Murphy (c**k)
Anybody off of Give My Head Peace ESPECIALLY that Tim McGarry twat!!
Jimmy Cricket
May McFetridge
Our Jimmy
Paddy McGuinness
Lennie Henry
Alan Carr
Dane Cook
Ardal O'Hanlon
Any Female Comedian except Joan Rivers so that includes the likes of Deirdre, Sarah Millican, Joe Brand, Maeve Higgins etc. etc.

hectorsheroes

Bill Hicks was the best by a country mile.

Honourable mentions for Jimeoin, Dylan Moran and Lee Mack who is excellent

armagho9

Quote from: screenexile on November 09, 2010, 11:40:57 AM
Oh good one comedians I hate are:

Michael McIntyre (If you think jumping around a lot with floppy hair is funny)
Eddie Izzard (went to see him last year in Belfast, just completely unfunny)
Andy Parsons (just don't like him at all)
Russell Brand (speaks for itself really)
Colm Murphy (c**k)
Anybody off of Give My Head Peace ESPECIALLY that Tim McGarry t**t!!
Jimmy Cricket
May McFetridge
Our Jimmy
Paddy McGuinness
Lennie Henry
Alan Carr
Dane Cook
Ardal O'Hanlon
Any Female Comedian except Joan Rivers so that includes the likes of Deirdre, Sarah Millican, Joe Brand, Maeve Higgins etc. etc.

agree with every single one except Colin Murphy, think he is pretty s***e on those panel shows but thought he was actually very good when i went to see him in stand up

johnneycool

Quote from: Clown on November 09, 2010, 11:35:45 AM
The best - Lee Mack, Michael McIntyre, Billy Connolly

Worst - Paddy Kielty, Lee Evans

I stumbled across a 'celebrity roast' of Davina McCall on C4 recently with Kielty on it and he was absolutely rubbish.

I think the pretense of the show was to show your admiration for the subject was to comically abuse them, Kilety failed in the comedy aspect of it.

armagho9

Kielty was on 8 out of 10 cats one night, he made a joke at the start of the show which sort of got a bit of a polite laugh (but it seemed like they were going what the **** is he on about)from the other comedians.  Basically never opened his mouth the rest of the show.  He is rubbish

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: hectorsheroes on November 09, 2010, 12:09:25 PM
Bill Hicks was the best by a country mile.

Honourable mentions for Jimeoin, Dylan Moran and Lee Mack who is excellent
+1. Amazing how little he's been mentioned on here. Genius. Comedy with a message and more relevant today than he was when he was alive.
There are a lot of reasonably funny comedians now but I find the Irish generally quite poor. McIntyre is very funny but he's starting to depend on his constant head bobbing a lot.

Norf Tyrone

Meant to say.

I booked 5 localish comedians to do a night in our GAA club a few weeks back, and was not expecting much to be honest. However the night went really well, and we made a decent we sum off the bar that night.

Just if someone is looking for something different  in their clubrooms. The fellas were from Cookstown, Omagh, Dublin, and Letterkenny so geography shouldn't be a barrier.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

David McKeown

Was at Dara O'Briain tonight and thought he was brilliant.  Id been to see him earlier this year and didnt realise it was the same tour until I got there, despite that I still didnt stop laughing all night as he had clearly refined his material.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Doogie Browser on November 08, 2010, 05:11:28 PM
Would really love to see Rich Hall as I think he is fantastic.

Seen Rich Hall about 3 times. He's brilliant. Definitely worth going to see.

ziggysego

Quote from: David McKeown on November 10, 2010, 12:14:35 AM
Was at Dara O'Briain tonight and thought he was brilliant.  Id been to see him earlier this year and didnt realise it was the same tour until I got there, despite that I still didnt stop laughing all night as he had clearly refined his material.

The thing about Dara is, he works off the audience. So whilst he may have a set piece on a tour, he isn't afraid to go off in a tangent, if he's struck a core with the audience.
Testing Accessibility

ross4life

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 10, 2010, 01:37:17 AM

I first seen Rich Hall on don't feed the gondolas would say he's a good Stand-up Comedian.

What does people here make of the other Irish Comedians not mentioned yet.. Brendan Grace,Jason Byrne,Karl Spain,PJ Gallagher,Pat Shortt,Dave McSavage,Jon Kenny & Niall Tóibín

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ballinaman

Quote from: ross4life on November 10, 2010, 01:53:58 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 10, 2010, 01:37:17 AM

I first seen Rich Hall on don't feed the gondolas would say he's a good Stand-up Comedian.

What does people here make of the other Irish Comedians not mentioned yet.. Brendan Grace,Jason Byrne,Karl Spain,PJ Gallagher,Pat Shortt,Dave McSavage,Jon Kenny & Niall Tóibín
Brendan Grace - Appeals to the older crowd, find some of his stuff quite funny...other bits cringe worthy
Jason Byrne - Annoying bollox.....
Karl Spain - Shite, only so many look at me I'm a fat man jokes that can be done.
Dave McSavage - Happened to see him outside St Stephens green, ripping the piss out of people.Hilarious, not every ones type of humour as he toes the line a good bit.
Jon Kenny/Patt Shortt -D'unbelievables were class, shite since they've gone solo.

ludermor

A few very good newish irish lads ( though you would need to leave it at least a year before you see them between gigs)
Andrew Stanley ( forget about I Dare Ya, he is class stand up)
Fred Cooke
Bernard O'Shea
John Lynn

fitzroyalty

Went to Russell Howard this week. I wasn't a big fan beforehand, however he put on a good show and didn't bore me to tears as I had assumed he would. He certainly appeals to the younger crowd and some of his stories were actually quite funny.

ziggysego

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 06, 2010, 08:53:53 AM
Cant believe no-one mentioned John Bishop

I've got tickets to see John Bishop in Belfast this June. Can't wait.
Testing Accessibility