Best Stand-up Comedian

Started by Orior, November 06, 2010, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: ziggysego on March 03, 2011, 11:49:21 PM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 06, 2010, 08:53:53 AM
Cant believe no-one mentioned John Bishop

I've got tickets to see John Bishop in Belfast this June. Can't wait.

I went to see John Bishop before Christmas and was pretty underwhelmed! He is very quick witted on TV performances. But his stand up routine had me actually bored and I've been to see alot of stand ups now and John Bishop is definitely the most disappointing! If anyone is interested, Ed Byrne was far and away the most surprisingly good! I'd highly recommend!
That was never a square ball!!

EagleLord

Ricky Gervais, hasnt missed yet, everything of his that I've seen, I've loved it. Not just his stand-up, but his other TV work, Extras Christmas Special was one of the best bits of TV ever, it really is accurate in taking the piss out of todays socalled celebs, I would urge everyone to watch it.

Don Johnson

Kevin Bridges is great.

Simon Amstell's DVD from Christmas there was very, very good. Live from Dublin.

Saw Russell Howard in the Odyssey there, was a 6.5/10, his earlier DVDs are both solid 8s though.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ziggysego on March 03, 2011, 11:49:21 PM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 06, 2010, 08:53:53 AM
Cant believe no-one mentioned John Bishop

I've got tickets to see John Bishop in Belfast this June. Can't wait.
Really don't see the attraction of Bishop. Mildly amusing at best imo.

Fella on Graham Norton show last week had him beat by teasing the great working-class Liverpudlian about drinking win and living in Cheshire!

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: ziggysego on November 08, 2010, 03:27:50 PM
Quote from: paco on November 08, 2010, 02:50:17 PM
Can't understand people finding Ricky Gervais funny. I've watched a few of his standups and they weren't funny at all, I also remember he directed and starred in an episode of The Simpsons a few years back and it was awful! Like Dylan Moran, old school Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor. What's the general opinion on Keith Lemon? Don't think he's been mentioned so far and I'm curious to see what everyone thinks.

I think Ricky's stand up is hilarious, but granted, The Simpson's episode he wrote was terrible.

Don't like old school Eddie Murphy. Too crude and ignorance for me. Richard Pryor is in a different league, all based on his life.

Keith Lemon's just a character ;) Annoying though, don't find it funny at all.

Pryor was excellent....Dave Chapelle is the closest to him in the Modern era

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ3dk6KAvQM

his TV show was very good as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHFUH_frhBw

Never beat the deeler

Although I havent seen him live yet, I love the Tim Minchin clips ive seen
Hasta la victoria siempre

Lecale2

Denn Forever

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on March 05, 2011, 01:00:49 PM
Although I havent seen him live yet, I love the Tim Minchin clips ive seen

Is he Australian?  Plays the piano and signs clever songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVN_0qvuhhw&feature=relmfu
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

omagh_gael

Quote from: EagleLord on March 04, 2011, 05:51:24 PM
Ricky Gervais, hasnt missed yet, everything of his that I've seen, I've loved it. Not just his stand-up, but his other TV work, Extras Christmas Special was one of the best bits of TV ever, it really is accurate in taking the piss out of todays socalled celebs, I would urge everyone to watch it.

Hear Hear on the extras Christmas special call, possibly my favourite tv episode of all time. Very emotional stuff, especially the Maggie character.

nifan

Saw Stewart Lee on the weekend. Thought he was very good.

Did a bit about al quieda and why they where needed - load of nostalgia for the IRA, the golden era of terrorism.

ziggysego

Quote from: nifan on May 10, 2011, 05:34:43 PM

Did a bit about al quieda and why they where needed - load of nostalgia for the IRA, the golden era of terrorism.

My brother-in-law saw him live last year. Says he's the best comedian he's seen live.
Testing Accessibility

gallsman

I think I;ve seen Paddy Kielty on TV before doing something similar.

Don Johnson

He did his IRA bit in his show on BBC2 last night.

Have been watching a lot of Lee lately on Youtube, ordered all his stuff from Amazon there, about £45.

Here's the iPlayer link to the four episodes from Series two so far:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0112b65/episodes/player

Tony Baloney

He's very good. The antithesis of wankers like McIntyre, Russell Howard etc. He roasted Howard and Adrian Chiles in an earlier episode - great dead pan delivery.

Norf Tyrone

Seen Ardal O'Hanlon on Sunday evening there. Rubbish.

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone