Wimbledon 23rd June- 6th July

Started by anportmorforjfc, June 18, 2008, 11:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nic

Think Murray needs to keep working on those muscles

wherefromreferee?

To be fair to him nic, he's in much better shape than he was last yr.  Nadal is a machine though
In your Endo!

nic

Yea but not much craic bout him- i miss becker, mc enroe and the boys, bit of banter with them and the umpire/crowd

wherefromreferee?

Aye, but back in those days, it wasn't all about power and serve, the way it is now.  I'd imagine it'll be a Federer v Nadal final, with Federer the victor.
In your Endo!

nic

Would like Nadal to win but think you might be right

Minder

Would you say Federer was all power and serve? Nadal is a tremendous athlete but is also a brilliant player
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

wherefromreferee?

I was just actually talking about how the game has developed over the years.  Without thinking, there is definitely more to his game than just power and serve, but I do think it plays a huge role Minder.
Not just Fererer, pretty much the top 5 or 10 players.
In your Endo!

screenexile

Murray grossly outclassed by a stronger, fitter and technically superior player all round really.

He thought it was his strength that was holding him back yet the amount of unforced errors he hit was absolutely criminal! He has a long way to go to even come close to a Federer or a Nadal.

Poor Nadal after the match "Good win but what about Andy? Was he tired? Do you think he's good? What does he need to do do you think Rafa?" Why the fcuk should Nadal care about Murray and what Murray has to do... pure joke!

wherefromreferee?

Ah, the wonderful British meedja.  I thought Nadal was superb tonight, but maybe Murray didn't even test him.  His (Nadal) drop shots were class.  You're right Screen, he was simply technically superior.
In your Endo!

Minder

I wonder did Murray even have a break point tonight, Nadal was holding his serve easily whereas Murray was struggling to hold his. Nadal worked the balls off Murray, he had him out wide so many times. Nadal is some player alright, usually a player with his clay court pedigree wouldnt get past the 2nd or 3rd round at Wimbledon & there was a time top clay players didnt even bother going to Wimbledon. The progress he has made on grass has been remarkable. He is a fantastic athlete but some of the shots he plays Federer would be proud of.

Bogball XV

Quote from: hardstation on July 02, 2008, 08:02:19 PM
Jeez, Murray is dung.
He really is dire, as screen said the unforced errors were absolutely criminal.  Nadal is the real deal, I reckon he'll take Fed this year too, Fed's star has been on the wane big time this year and he's there to be beat.  Federer is 27 and I reckon he doesn't have much tennis left (in that he'll retire in the next three 3yrs) so you never know, if Murray learns to serve he could threaten here in the future.

I saw the last 2 sets and Murray did get to love-30 in one game on Nadal's serve (2 2nd serves).

Minder

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 02, 2008, 09:31:19 PM
Jeez, Murray is dung.
He really is dire, as screen said the unforced errors were absolutely criminal.  Nadal is the real deal, I reckon he'll take Fed this year too, Fed's star has been on the wane big time this year and he's there to be beat.  Federer is 27 and I reckon he doesn't have much tennis left (in that he'll retire in the next three 3yrs) so you never know, if Murray learns to serve he could threaten here in the future.

The thing is tennis is a youngmans game and as Murray progresses there will be more young punks arriving on the scene.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Minder on July 02, 2008, 09:33:01 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on July 02, 2008, 09:31:19 PM
Jeez, Murray is dung.

The thing is tennis is a youngmans game and as Murray progresses there will be more young punks arriving on the scene.
not so much as women's tennis is, in the mens game I thought they tend to peak in or around the mid twenties, that'd give murray a few years, but of course you've always got lads coming in to challenge, if it hadn't been for nadal, fed would probably have the last 2 french opens etc....

Yes I Would

Thats it over for another year thank god!! Nadal in that form tonight will give Fed a hell of a battle!!

hitzelsperger

Murray is no where near top 5 material, Nadal and Federer are absolutely in a class of thei own, some of Nadals passing shots are unreal, i would love to see him beat Roger but i dont think he will, the swiss man is just too good