Kevin McStay: blind or biased?

Started by Leo, August 02, 2009, 10:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louth Exile

I thought someone would have posted about this already!!!!

I don't think that anyone could accuse Mc Stay of Mayo bias after last night's Sunday game. If anything he was biased towards the Royals! When eventually Dara brought up (with full justification) the seven point swing from mistakes by a range of officials, Mc Stay just brushed it under the carpet ???
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Son_of_Sam

Most Mayo people are just looking at this from the point of view of what we did wrong, not the Ref or God/Nature, no-one wants to go down the road of 1996 bitterness again. We just want to sort out our team, you can't worry about other things, you have no control over them. Fair play Meath, they won, they are playing Kerry. I'm sure as a Mayoman McStay is looking at it in the exact same way.

Louth Exile

Thats a fair point and there definitely were a number of Mayo deficiencies (missed goal chance, too slow to get the ball in, dropped their heads when Meath rallied). It is still fair to point out that barring a combination of terrible decisions from different officials, it would have been different.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: Louth Exile on August 10, 2009, 03:26:36 PM
Thats a fair point and there definitely were a number of Mayo deficiencies (missed goal chance, too slow to get the ball in, dropped their heads when Meath rallied). It is still fair to point out that barring a combination of terrible decisions from different officials, it would have been different.

True, but it might just hurt too much if we could blame anyone but ourselves. (Look at Liam McHale)

Jinxy

That works both ways though.
Conor Mortimer clearly touched the ball on the ground before laying it off to his brother who dropped it into the square for the Mayo goal.
Mayo also got a free for absolutely nothing straight in front of the posts in the 2nd half.
I genuinely don't think O'Rourke brought the ball across the line so then we are basically talking about a line-ball given to us incorrectly (from which we still had to work a goal) and a 45 which wasn't a 45.
So it all balances out.   ;)
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Farrandeelin

Which 45?? The one that set up your first score??
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Louth Exile

Quote from: Jinxy on August 10, 2009, 03:52:27 PM

Conor Mortimer clearly touched the ball on the ground before laying it off to his brother who dropped it into the square for the Mayo goal.
Mayo also got a free for absolutely nothing straight in front of the posts in the 2nd half.
I genuinely don't think O'Rourke brought the ball across the line so then we are basically talking about a line-ball given to us incorrectly (from which we still had to work a goal) and a 45 which wasn't a 45.

I'm sure that this debate is going on elsewhere on the board and I have deliberately tried to avoid it, but to say that Mr Mc Quillan and his comrades made as many bad calls against Meath as they did against Mayo is stretching it a bit. Actually, more than a bit.

johnneycool

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 10, 2009, 03:06:13 PM
Most Mayo people are just looking at this from the point of view of what we did wrong, not the Ref or God/Nature, no-one wants to go down the road of 1996 bitterness again. We just want to sort out our team, you can't worry about other things, you have no control over them. Fair play Meath, they won, they are playing Kerry. I'm sure as a Mayoman McStay is looking at it in the exact same way.

Except for Liam McHale, thought he let himself down a lot when interviewed along with Graham Gerahty before the game yesterday saying how he was still affected about the game which happened a dozen odd years ago and still wouldn't shake hands with Pat MacAneny after he was sent off.

Louth Exile

Quote from: johnneycool on August 10, 2009, 04:30:45 PM

Except for Liam McHale, thought he let himself down a lot when interviewed along with Graham Gerahty before the game yesterday saying how he was still affected about the game which happened a dozen odd years ago and still wouldn't shake hands with Pat MacAneny after he was sent off.

Mc Enaney said that, with review what decision would he have come to, he said that he would have sent four off and not just two

outthecountry

Quote from: Jinxy on August 10, 2009, 03:52:27 PM

No he didn't - look at it again.! That was one of the most legit scores of the day. The peno was  definately not one and O'Rourke certainly did take it over the line. These incidences were at crucial times of the game and each time it threw meath a lifeline when the game was ebbing away from them. And they needed these decisions as there was only 3 points at the end of the game. Anyway, besides all that - you could pick the best of both of these teams on display and Kerry would still hockey them. I would say mayo would prefer this to be meath as i don't think mayo would ever recover from a third drubbing from the kingdon. Time for someone else.

tyssam5

Quote from: orchardexile on August 05, 2009, 09:22:20 AM
Quote from: JMohan on August 04, 2009, 01:33:09 PM
Quote from: orchardexile on August 04, 2009, 01:28:45 PM
Did you hear McStay yesterday commenting that the Kerry handpassing was bordering on the edge  as the Dubs were getting hammered early on in the match 

I can't stand his comments. 

You can tell normally very early in the match which team he is going for !!!

What did he mean?

Well he hated Armagh anyway :)

He meant that their handpassing was close to illegal

Seemed like there were a few throws in there alright, depends on the ref I suppose, Deegan pulled them once or twice for illegal handpasses in the AI final last year.

JMohan

Quote from: Louth Exile on August 10, 2009, 04:39:25 PM

Mc Enaney said that, with review what decision would he have come to, he said that he would have sent four off and not just two
McHale should probably be getting over it at this stage I'd think

McEneaney was very young also to be reffing a match that important

Louth Exile

Quote from: JMohan on August 11, 2009, 07:10:15 AM
Quote from: Louth Exile on August 10, 2009, 04:39:25 PM

McHale should probably be getting over it at this stage I'd think

McEneaney was very young also to be reffing a match that important

Mc Enaney is the one argument I would put forward in relation to cloning, head an shoulders abover any other ref in the country