Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

Halfquarter

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on September 24, 2010, 10:43:27 PM
I would be in the anyone but Maughan camp as well. Pleased that it won't be him, I'd rather not get to a final than go into another one with him in charge knowing we haven't a hope in hell of winning because he'll bollox it up again somehow (Seriously like, Fergal feckin Kelly - i'll never forgive him for that one).

Not saying Lyons is the answer by any means though. The backroom team will be interesting if it happens, hopefully people with good knowledge within the county. No point having a go at him because of his spoofing on the Sunday Game, my main worry is that its a long time since he's done, well, anything really - its a total shot in the dark hiring him...suppose the same could have been said of Horan, McGarry or Kearney.

By the way on the mobile phone version of this site we're now past 200 pages on this topic..!

Normally players who don't have good games aren't singled out in the media for a butchering, and this is a good thing. It's fair enough in soccer, when the abuse comes with a paycheck, but for amateur players it should be out of the question.

It should be possible after 6 long years ,to get the point across without getting personal ..

boosabum

Quote from: m@yoman on September 25, 2010, 10:02:55 AM
I think someone said this on a previous post on this thread but we really are getting our just reward for what we did to Mickey Moran and John Morrison...I wonder what do they think of the current goings on?!
m & m were barely on speaking terms at the end of the 2006 all ireland and there was no guarantee that their second year ( they said they would only do two due to the travel involved) would still be a double act. In the mean time some guy who had won a few all irelands became available and the cb had to act. I believe firmly that the players dragged themselves to that ai final through shear will and were let down by m&m in the final. I have often heard it said that senior players approached m&m on the led up about handling donaghy and the response was to worry about it on the day. A few months later in the a railway cup game in ballyforan, jom played a sweeper in front of donaghy. I think conn. won that game

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Halfquarter on September 25, 2010, 01:14:58 PM
I would be in the anyone but Maughan camp as well. Pleased that it won't be him, I'd rather not get to a final than go into another one with him in charge knowing we haven't a hope in hell of winning because he'll bollox it up again somehow (Seriously like, Fergal feckin Kelly - i'll never forgive him for that one).

Not saying Lyons is the answer by any means though. The backroom team will be interesting if it happens, hopefully people with good knowledge within the county. No point having a go at him because of his spoofing on the Sunday Game, my main worry is that its a long time since he's done, well, anything really - its a total shot in the dark hiring him...suppose the same could have been said of Horan, McGarry or Kearney.

By the way on the mobile phone version of this site we're now past 200 pages on this topic..!

Normally players who don't have good games aren't singled out in the media for a butchering, and this is a good thing. It's fair enough in soccer, when the abuse comes with a paycheck, but for amateur players it should be out of the question.

It should be possible after 6 long years ,to get the point across without getting personal ..

I agree with you Halfquarter but I think, in fairness to poor Cosmo, the man he will never forgive is Maughan, not the player in question. It was just phrased badly.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: rosnarun on September 24, 2010, 06:18:52 PM
maughan III was a mirage  seen by posters here and so too is tommy lyons until/if he is appointed .
no one is betrayed the process is still ongoing.
and no just because 60(64) pages of waffle have been spouted here  it does not entitle any one to have any greater say. how deluded is that; the committee men for better or worse have and will always have the final say on who the next manager will be and the one after that.
as has been pointed out the only say we can have in that is by contacting you club delegate  and not by some cowardly anonymous boycott .
time to reconnect with reality here

I don't see why you see a boycott as particularly cowardly and anonymous Ros. What's cowardly about not going to a football game? What's brave about attending? How will I be any more anonymous if I'm not at game than if I am? No-one's ever taken my name at a ground.

The reason I mention a boycott is because I invest a lot of emotional capital in the Mayo football team and right now I feel lied to and betrayed. We were told there would be a process. That process has been ignored for reasons that do not seem to particularly chime with either the best interests of the team or the opinions of those poor dumb stupid anonymous bastards who go to games or post on message boards.

So what I'm wondering is if I and people like me shouldn't cop on and spend our Sundays more gainfully employed. If that makes me a coward then fair enough. Send the white feather. I'll send you back my jersey.

mayo51

this has always drove me crazy about alot of mayo fans,saying it is better to lose early in the championship than risk getting a drubbing later on.My motto has always been,no matter how bad we are, to win every game and see where it takes you.The only way we are going to win sam is by getting to a final and some day our luck may be in.Going off topic here but it was not the selection of Fergal Kelly that lost us the all ireland in 2004.we were just not good enough.I would agree that Brady should have been selected for the final but you would have to look at the reason he was dropped in the first place which was his display in the drawn game v fermanagh where he did not go for one ball all day .I probably should not have brought this up again as this thread will definatly hit 100 pages if we rehash that whole episode again :)

Barney

so the County Final will be between two mentioned candidates for the big job - Forde v Horan, both have done very impressive work.

Yet our Board won't be turning to either. I'm sure James will be given a chance elsewhere and be lost to Mayo as many others were.

mrhardyannual

No lover of the curent board here but one has to ask the question as to how James horan could so easily think of leaving Ballintubber as they face into a county final. i know that the Mayo job doesn't start immediately but perhaps it should. If I had a young team in my home club like JH has I would be looking to win county, provincial and All-Ireland titles, not jumping into county job. This is not to knock his credentials for the job. Anyway with the interview board stacked it's difficult to see what he can gain.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: mrhardyannual on September 26, 2010, 05:58:54 PM
No lover of the curent board here but one has to ask the question as to how James horan could so easily think of leaving Ballintubber as they face into a county final. i know that the Mayo job doesn't start immediately but perhaps it should. If I had a young team in my home club like JH has I would be looking to win county, provincial and All-Ireland titles, not jumping into county job. This is not to knock his credentials for the job. Anyway with the interview board stacked it's difficult to see what he can gain.

Pat O'Shea managed it in his first year as Kerry manager. Stayed over Dr Crokes all the way to St Patrick's Day.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

boosabum

Quote from: Barney on September 26, 2010, 05:28:02 PM
so the County Final will be between two mentioned candidates for the big job - Forde v Horan, both have done very impressive work.

Yet our Board won't be turning to either. I'm sure James will be given a chance elsewhere and be lost to Mayo as many others were.

how can you be so sure that horan will not get the nod. The interviews have to take place yet. The best way to console yourself would be to take advantage of the generous 1/8 odds being given on Lyons since he is such a sure thing.
Are you also 100% sure that no advances were ever made to forde

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

boosabum

Quote from: Jinxy on September 26, 2010, 08:25:15 PM
I hope Lyons gets it.
Just to get him off the telly.

pity someone didn't nominate brolly in that case

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

m@yoman

Quote from: Jinxy on September 26, 2010, 08:36:53 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 26, 2010, 08:26:52 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 26, 2010, 08:25:15 PM
I hope Lyons gets it.
Just to get him off the telly.

Sure why not give him the Meath job so?

We don't like outsiders.

Or insiders Jinxy judging by the last few years of Meath managers!  ;)

IolarCoisCuain