Started by Barney, June 06, 2010, 09:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you like to see as Mayo Manager in 2010

James Horan
Tommy Lyons
Anthony McGarry
John Maughan

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

INDIANA

Honestly unless Lyons has dramatically changed I cant see this being a good move for Mayo. His man-management with Dublin was awful.

rosnarun

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 25, 2010, 02:17:04 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on September 24, 2010, 06:18:52 PM
maughan III was a mirage  seen by posters here and so too is tommy lyons until/if he is appointed .
no one is betrayed the process is still ongoing.
and no just because 60(64) pages of waffle have been spouted here  it does not entitle any one to have any greater say. how deluded is that; the committee men for better or worse have and will always have the final say on who the next manager will be and the one after that.
as has been pointed out the only say we can have in that is by contacting you club delegate  and not by some cowardly anonymous boycott .
time to reconnect with reality here

I don't see why you see a boycott as particularly cowardly and anonymous Ros. What's cowardly about not going to a football game? What's brave about attending? How will I be any more anonymous if I'm not at game than if I am? No-one's ever taken my name at a ground.

The reason I mention a boycott is because I invest a lot of emotional capital in the Mayo football team and right now I feel lied to and betrayed. We were told there would be a process. That process has been ignored for reasons that do not seem to particularly chime with either the best interests of the team or the opinions of those poor dumb stupid anonymous b**tards who go to games or post on message boards.

So what I'm wondering is if I and people like me shouldn't cop on and spend our Sundays more gainfully employed. If that makes me a coward then fair enough. Send the white feather. I'll send you back my jersey.

your going to  boycott the mayo team because they changed the selection process?
Get a grip will ya.
Sure if your no longer interested dont go . But if your going to organise a boycott and attempt to spoil everyone elses fun then at least get a good reason
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

stephenite

ICC is one of the better posters on here but in this instance I feel he's incorrect.

The GAA has structures - for better or for worse that's the way things are run, and if you aren't part of that structure (as in a club member) you don't get to have a say, you're not entitled to an explanation and there you go.

I think a lot about the GAA, and I have my opinions, and whether I'm in Dublin or Sydney I don't feel that I have the right to have my opinions listened to whilst I'm not actively involved - the alternative to the way things are run now would involve the clubs not having a say, and whether or not your club cares about who the manager is that's the structure that needs to stay in place otherwise we're off down the road of CEO's and players agents a bit sooner than we need to be.

IolarCoisCuain

Unless I'm taking the boys up incorrectly, Ros is criticising me for sticking up for the clubs and Stephenite for not respecting the clubs' authority. I'm feeling a biteen cornered.

What bothers me is this notion that I've got in my head that is someone came along with a big enough bag of money the Board would appoint that loon that dresses up as St Patrick as manager - with Horan and Anthony McGarry as selectors, of course. Maybe I'm wrong. But we're damn well close enough to that now, aren't we?

Stephenite, if you don't feel like you've a right to have your opinions listened to, why post three thousand, seven hundred and thirty-nine of them here on the GAA Board?

I think everyone is entitled to an opinion, myself. And I like it even more when people talk about them openly, instead of cutting deals behind closed doors and then feeding a line of shite to the Great Unwashed. That's something I like less than honest opinions, honestly held.

Which club nominated Lyons anyway? When is this thing going to be decided?

JMohan

So when is this announcement due lads?

Sadly, if it is TL, I can't see TL being anything more than a smaller version of Joe Kernan.

stephenite

We can all blather away on a discussion board, in the pub, in work etc. Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, my point is that the only opinions that matter when the decision is made are those that are elected to represent the members of the clubs. Any other opinion doesn't really matter.... With the exception being that those with a big bag of money as you've pointed out.
I'm not saying it's right, it's just the way it is

RedandGreenSniper

Stephenite is right. The clubs are the medium through which the democracy of the GAA is supposed to operate. Sadly some people at board level have managed to manipulate things recently due to the indifference of some clubs and the cosy relationships with other delegates. Clubs delegates in Mayo? Their name is shit. And they have largely been the authors of that themselves. They have a chance this week when the fait acompli is put to them to, for once, show a bit of backbone and stand up for what they believe in. What they know is right and what they know is wrong. This is a pivotal moment in Mayo GAA. The entire county is against this move. If the club delegates back it, then it is they who should be named and shamed in terms of how they voted.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Barney

I agree this is a big moment in Mayo GAA. The attitude of the delegates to this one will decide whether we are to implode completely or give ourselves a chance to build ourselves up again.

If Tommy Lyons is the nominated man and is rejected we will be left with nobody to take over. I am sure in those circumstances Horan or McGarry will not make themselves available. Maughan is not in the running. Nor is Micko, Forde or Connelly. The danger is strong leadership would be needed to avoid a Limerick type scenario.

James Horan is having his interview today. I don't know whether McGarry and Lyons have had theirs.

The question is this - if James or Anthony were to get the nod would you be happy or giving out? Not simply as a "not Tommy Lyons" candidate, but rather as the new manager in their own right.

Barney

This is now officially the longest ever "Mayo" thread - just taking over from Mayo v Meath last year.

Also the longest "New Manager" thread - taking over from Armagh.

On the first page of GAABoard views and posts! And we yet have to get a decision.

Farrandeelin

I would be happy Barney if Horan got the job because having looked at Down and Kildare (OK neither of them won Sam) but they had young modern managers who took a modern approach. I've always wanted Horan from the out-set even though I may have voted Dempsey on here but that was before he ruled himself out of the job. As well as that, if Lyons does get it, I think we're screwed - hopefully the club delegates will get some bit of sense and reject him.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on September 27, 2010, 01:32:59 PM
Stephenite is right. The clubs are the medium through which the democracy of the GAA is supposed to operate. Sadly some people at board level have managed to manipulate things recently due to the indifference of some clubs and the cosy relationships with other delegates. Clubs delegates in Mayo? Their name is shit. And they have largely been the authors of that themselves. They have a chance this week when the fait acompli is put to them to, for once, show a bit of backbone and stand up for what they believe in. What they know is right and what they know is wrong. This is a pivotal moment in Mayo GAA. The entire county is against this move. If the club delegates back it, then it is they who should be named and shamed in terms of how they voted.

I think the word "democracy" may be relative when it comes to the county board. Its obvious that some delegates would be more inclined to vote the way they are told to vote rather than the way they should be voting for the benefit of Gaelic football in Mayo. Its very sad but true.

Lyons is the latest golden boy for certain members of the county board as he is coming at no cost and is apraently rich enough to cover his own expenses. Its a tough carrot for the county board not to follow with the current state of finances.

But its a huge can of worms as I heard through the grapevine that the players wont play for Lyons and wont stand for him being nominated as manager, which leaves the county board and indeed Lyons in strange situation.

I think myself that the county board should stay impartial and not push for Lyons as hard as they have as the other candidates wont exactly cost an arm and a leg either.

Its a sad state of affairs if, as a county we sell ourselves out

RedandGreenSniper

I think it may have been you Barney that said every candidate at this stage has a negative against them. That's still the case. But I would be much more happy to take a chance on James Horan's youth and enthusiaism and Anthony McGarry's steadyness and good backroom team rather than Tommy Lyons who is a spoofer and hasn't even bothered to seek his own selectors but reckons the county board can pick them for him. And I do think both Horan and McGarry can do well. Sure, they're not dream candidates. But I think both can be very good if given the role. We'll have to wait and see if anyone shows a bit of militance.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Farrandeelin

I was talking to a co player at the weekend and he was shaking his head in disbelief at what was going on. :(
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Barney

QuoteI think it may have been you Barney that said every candidate at this stage has a negative against them.

The point I was making was that every candidate had had some form of negative comment made against them here on the Board. An outsider reading this topic would feel that there is nobody that we would consider good enough to look after our team.

If the players come into play here well then it is a whole new ball game. Mind you there are no fellas guaranteed to be playing for Mayo in 2010. It is down to the manager to select a new panel and somebody could come in and do a "Justin".

It really is a mess but have the Officers the wisdom to read the signs. I am sure there is somebody on the Committee who will not allow themselves to be duped. It looks like another very interesting week in Mayo GAA. But we are fighting for our future direction. Financially we are destroyed. In football terms we are on the ground but can get ourselves out of the hole.