Congress Mass going ahead as planned

Started by shawshank, March 15, 2012, 03:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

It's actually a pagan festival Ostara, celebrating the rebirth of nature, like everything else it the Catholic world it was robbed and re-christened..

#newbridgeornowhere

haranguerer

St Patricks day is a pagan festival? How does that work?

Denn Forever

Quote from: haranguerer on March 17, 2012, 11:32:48 AM

What does 17th March commemorate?  His Birth, his Death, his arrival in Ireland the first time, his arrival back in Ireland?

Ostara sounds good to me.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

pintsofguinness

Quote from: hardstation on March 17, 2012, 12:05:16 AM
It's only a f**king mass, would yis wise the fcuk up.
Took the words out of my mouth and I say that as someone who has as much heed in mass as the man in the moon.
No one is going to be marched at gun point to it.

Myles, normally you're sensible but comparing a mass to the burning of flags, get a grip!
And if the IFA wanted to do something similar for a protestant service then fine by me. 

Would most of your clubs not hold yearly masses for deceased members or is that an Armagh thing?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

muppet

Clár Offigiúl:

0730: Wake up call, le céile.

0735. 5 minute snooze (because most lads like a snooze).

0737: Official collective brushing of the Association teeth (because well most members brush their teeth).

0740: Official collective showering of delegates (delegates are free to skip this if they are uncomfortable).

0801: Official walk of delegates for a chat (because well most delegates like a walk and a chat).

0830: Official breakfast of porridge (because well according to Congress sponsors Flahavans, most delegates like their porridge).

0930: Congress.

11.15 Official tea with milk and one sugar with Marietta (as, well, most lads like it that way...).

1130: Congress.

13.00 Dinner (because most lads like it in the middle of the dae). Bacon and cabbage with meat and two veg.

14.00 Official walk to the bookies because most lads like to have a punt.

14.15 Congress.

1630. End

To be perfectly honest I can't see where they get the time to fit in a mass.

N.B. not to be taken seriously
MWWSI 2017

haranguerer

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 17, 2012, 11:39:23 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on March 17, 2012, 11:32:48 AM

What does 17th March commemorate?  His Birth, his Death, his arrival in Ireland the first time, his arrival back in Ireland?

Ostara sounds good to me.

I didnt mention the 17th of March. I said St Patricks day. Whatever used to be celebrated at or around that time is of no relevance.

mylestheslasher

Pints - i didnt bring the burning of flags into this. I compared it to the ifa having a protestant service at their agm.

Maguire01

Quote from: haranguerer on March 17, 2012, 10:47:36 AM
Why isnt there such a fuss over the GAA and numerous other 'non-sectarian' organisations promoting St Patricks day, an undoubtedly Christian festival?
I'd imagine most people see St Patrick's day as being the country's national day. It's probably further removed from religion than Christmas at this stage.

J70

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 17, 2012, 04:30:31 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on March 17, 2012, 10:47:36 AM
Why isnt there such a fuss over the GAA and numerous other 'non-sectarian' organisations promoting St Patricks day, an undoubtedly Christian festival?
I'd imagine most people see St Patrick's day as being the country's national day. It's probably further removed from religion than Christmas at this stage.

Indeed. In the states its like Halloween at this stage with all the dressing up in the silly leprechaun costumes, green hats, green and orange beards and moustaches and all the rest of it. Throw in the green beer and the corned beef and cabbage and soda bread. Religion doesn't really enter into the picture. Its all about Irishness.

As for the topic of the thread, at this stage the GAA should be divorcing itself from the catholic church if we seriously claim to be a sporting organization welcoming people from all backgrounds.

J70

Quote from: The Iceman on March 15, 2012, 05:29:16 PM
The NY Jets have a Mass every week before games for those who want to attend.....

This is getting ridiculous...... it's funny the only discrimination tolerated is to be anti-catholic......

FFS Iceman, you never miss a chance to complain about the victim status of the downtrodden catholic or christian!

You're not being persecuted or discriminated against here either! All the issues you're complaining about are equivalent to unionists complaining that they're victims because their former dominant role has been reduced to one of mere equality!

Grow up!

The Boy Wonder

Somehow I don't expect to see too many people protesting against sectarianism outside GAA Congress or the Mass in local Church. Then again some Harryville veterans might be available.

TacadoirArdMhacha

I think the logic of Hardy's position is difficult to escape. It seems like a tradition which is a relic ffrom a time when the Catholic Church held an unhealthy role in Irish society and held particular sway within the GAA (and I say that as a practicising Catholic).

While this example would seem to be outwith the letter of the rule to which Hardy refers, are all such traditions offending the rule's spirit? Should our local club end the tradition of having a Mass each year in memory of the deceased members of the club? As an aside, I seem to recall that the stand in Crossmaglen was blessed during a multi-denominational ceremony however I suspect that the local priest alone fulfills a similar role in other pitches / stadiums throughout the county.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Jinxy

We'll all be saying 'Happy holidays' before long.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

fitzroyalty

f**king hell. Some boys will rare up over anything...

Only now am I having my eyes opened to the widespread sectarianism in the GAA.

The two clubs named after the Catholic parishes in my town, will surely have to rename themselves, blatant sectarianism there.

The pitch/clubhouse/changing rooms etc dedications and blessings, they need stopped, more official acts of sectarianism.

Honourary positions for clergymen, that also needs to stop.

Mass for deceased club members, more sectarianism.

Sure the Our Father at the start of the AGM every year, that'll go too.

Two of the biggest institutions in Ireland are obviously going to intertwine now and again and how something as insignificant as a frigging mass has got ten pages is beyond me. Not like we have the u8s doing decades of the rosary before training every  Sunday morning.

Hardy

Et tu Jinxy. I despair. This is so removed from the politically correct agenda I despise. We can't have "mass" on the agenda if we're trying to pretend the GAA is for everybody. Is that not obvious?