Congress Mass going ahead as planned

Started by shawshank, March 15, 2012, 03:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: The Iceman on March 16, 2012, 02:37:48 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on March 16, 2012, 01:27:46 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on March 16, 2012, 01:24:55 PM
There is nothing wrong with including God in anything the GAA does.

Which God are we talking about now?

The God who has been worshiped in Ireland for centuries.

???  Banba!!!
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

The Iceman

Also the God of Saint Patrick who you can't wait to celebrate tomorrow......
Hypocrite on multiple levels.....

Let me put up a picture so my arguments carry more weight....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

The Iceman

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 16, 2012, 04:34:41 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on March 16, 2012, 03:14:46 PM
What we're seeing is a systematic effort by a minority of people to remove God from everything and anything.....
The world they are striving for I believe wouldn't be a great place for any of us.

This has nothing to do with the GAA or the Congress, this is about a small group of people's hate for God and religion.....

surely this goes against the rule about revealing poster's identities?
;)
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: The Iceman on March 16, 2012, 04:44:12 PM
Also the God of Saint Patrick who you can't wait to celebrate tomorrow......
Hypocrite on multiple levels.....

Let me put up a picture so my arguments carry more weight....

You forgot the picture :D Go on and add it retrospectively. I already answered you on Paddy's Day.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Rossfan

Quote from: Hardy on March 16, 2012, 04:25:24 PM
Other communities can easily request that a team of their own can play simultaneously as the protestant NI team.

The opportunity is there for other groups so don't knock the IFA if the opportunity isn't taken.

No sectarianism at all.

It's not even the IFA promoting the interests of one community, it's just showing respect for them (currently only loyalism is taking up the slot - there could easily be more) .
Time to stop all those Catholic Soccer players blessing themselves before they enter the fray. Disgraceful sectarian behaviour  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hardy

Quote from: Rossfan on March 16, 2012, 04:53:09 PM
Other communities can easily request that a team of their own can play simultaneously as the protestant NI team.

The opportunity is there for other groups so don't knock the IFA if the opportunity isn't taken.

No sectarianism at all.

It's not even the IFA promoting the interests of one community, it's just showing respect for them (currently only loyalism is taking up the slot - there could easily be more) .
Time to stop all those Catholic Soccer players blessing themselves before they enter the fray. Disgraceful sectarian behaviour  ::)

OK - let me see if I understand this game. Is it your go now to say something and mine to respond with something unrelated? I mightn't be here, so here's my response in advance:

The cuckoos should be stopped from laying their eggs in other birds' nests.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 16, 2012, 07:34:04 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 16, 2012, 02:44:53 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 16, 2012, 12:15:06 AM
If people really believe the mass is sectarian, would these people not be with-drawing their support for the organisation and indeed membership.

Translation: "Anyone who isn't a practicing catholic or who has a problem with the GAA officially endorsing a specifically catholic act of worship can f*** away off and leave the association. It's for catholics only."

where did I say any of that?

You said:

"If people really believe the mass is sectarian, would these people not be with-drawing their support for the organisation and indeed membership. "

QuoteI'm just trying to follow a bit of logic.
Keep trying.

You believe this action is sectarian, and it's obviously endorsed by the GAA heirarchy. Therefore this makes the GAA sectarian? Simple yes or no?
The rule book says it isn't, but some of its practices say it is. I say it's time for it to stick to its own rule book.

QuoteIf yes, then how why would you continue to support a sectarian organisation?

The rule book says it isn't sectarian, but some of its practices say it is. I say it's time for it to stick to its own rule book.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: camanchero on March 16, 2012, 04:15:28 PM
It's not even the Gaa promoting religion, it's showing respect for them ( currently only Catholicism that's taking up the slot right now- there could easily be more) .

It is the GAA promoting religion. Mass is listed on the clar as if it's part of official GAA business. It's an endorsement of one particular religious sect by an organization whose membership is supposed to be open to all. It sends out a message that this organization has a distinctively catholic identity which, as well as violating the official guide, undermines the hard work of the Ulster Council in reaching out to northern protestants who would feel alienated or stand-offish about getting involved in Gaelic games because of what they perceive, rightly or wrongly, as an organization with a political agenda and a religious affiliation to the catholic church.

Maguire01

Quote from: camanchero on March 16, 2012, 04:15:28 PM
It's not even the Gaa promoting religion, it's showing respect for them (currently only Catholicism that's taking up the slot right now- there could easily be more) .
If the clár had no business on the Sunday until lunchtime in order to facilitate those who wish to attend a religious service, that would be showing respect. Having a religious service as part of the clár is promoting it.

By your logic, if there was a slot on the clár for Fianna Fail to take the platform, that wouldn't be promotion, but showing respect for Fianna Fail supporters.

Party politics has no place in the GAA or on the clár, and neither does religion.

Maguire01

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 16, 2012, 03:05:33 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on March 15, 2012, 07:28:38 PM
I didn't realise this was practice. Does this mean that Jack Boothman had to sit through Mass when he was President?

I have no problem with people going to Mass, but I don't see why it should be part of the programme for a secular organisation. And i'd say the same if the IFA or Ulster Rugby were having a Service for one of the Protestant denominations as part of their congress (or equivalent). The GAA is not a Catholic organisation, it's an Irish sporting and cultural organisation.
Exactly it has no mandate to be multi cuktural.
Where have I asked it to be multi-cultural? I haven't. But where is its mandate to be Catholic?

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 16, 2012, 03:05:33 PM
I think if more people attended religious services, whether mass or other Ireland would be a better place.
Well we all know exactly what happened when Ireland was under the thumb of the Church. It had its own unique take on morality. I wouldn't call that a 'better place', or one that many would like to go back to.

muppet

Who said the following:

But the priests did not stop here, and their commands were, 'Have nothing to do with these heretics—curse them, hoot at them, spit in their faces—cut the sign of the cross in the air when you meet them, as you would against devils—throw stones at them—pitch them, when you have opportunity, into the bog holes—nay more than that, do injury to yourselves in order to injure them—don't work for them, though they pay in ready money—nay, don't take any medicine from their heretic doctor [Neason Adams], rather die first'.

http://www.historyireland.com/volumes/volume8/issue3/features/?id=239

An Irish Priest to his starving congregation.
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Quote from: Hardy on March 16, 2012, 05:09:18 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 16, 2012, 04:53:09 PM

No sectarianism at all.

OK - let me see if I understand this game. Is it your go now to say something and mine to respond with something unrelated? .

YOU  ;)brought up soccer on a GAA/Catholic issue. I responded about a Catholic/Soccer habit.
You are the one bringing up unrelated things. :P
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trueblue1234

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 16, 2012, 05:13:04 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 16, 2012, 07:34:04 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 16, 2012, 02:44:53 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 16, 2012, 12:15:06 AM
If people really believe the mass is sectarian, would these people not be with-drawing their support for the organisation and indeed membership.

Translation: "Anyone who isn't a practicing catholic or who has a problem with the GAA officially endorsing a specifically catholic act of worship can f*** away off and leave the association. It's for catholics only."

where did I say any of that?

You said:

"If people really believe the mass is sectarian, would these people not be with-drawing their support for the organisation and indeed membership. "

QuoteI'm just trying to follow a bit of logic.
Keep trying.

You believe this action is sectarian, and it's obviously endorsed by the GAA heirarchy. Therefore this makes the GAA sectarian? Simple yes or no?
The rule book says it isn't, but some of its practices say it is. I say it's time for it to stick to its own rule book.

QuoteIf yes, then how why would you continue to support a sectarian organisation?

The rule book says it isn't sectarian, but some of its practices say it is. I say it's time for it to stick to its own rule book.

you Havently really cleared anything up there. My quote says nothing about the GAA being pro catholic. So again I'm not sure where your getting that rant from.
I'm just making the point that if you feel this is sectarian by the GAA and it's obviously endorsed by the GAA heirarchy people could regard the organisation as being sectarian regardless of it's rulebook. Some people would see more from an organisations actions rather than it's words as to whether or not it's sectarian.   
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Eamonnca1

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 16, 2012, 07:26:55 PM
you Havently really cleared anything up there. My quote says nothing about the GAA being pro catholic. So again I'm not sure where your getting that rant from.
I'm just making the point that if you feel this is sectarian by the GAA and it's obviously endorsed by the GAA heirarchy people could regard the organisation as being sectarian regardless of it's rulebook. Some people would see more from an organisations actions rather than it's words as to whether or not it's sectarian.

No, I have answered your question. I just haven't answered it  to your satisfaction. The rule book says that the organization is not sectarian.  By promoting one specific religion at an official level then it is acting in a sectarian manner.

I've answered the question as I see fit, not from a limited set of replies deemed acceptable by you.

trueblue1234

Well I agree it's not answered to my satifaction. Cause to me it seems that your happy that the GAA is not sectarian because of a few lines in it's rulebook rather than by the actions it takes. And I admit that's not logic I follow but each to their own.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit