Savings ACC

Started by Onion Bag, April 02, 2008, 10:25:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onion Bag

Getting marrried next year, and me and her indoors are going to have to start putting some dough away. anyone got any suggestions on a good high interest savings ACC that would do the trick,
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

take_yer_points

Quote from: Onion Bag on April 02, 2008, 10:25:32 AM
Getting marrried next year, and me and her indoors are going to have to start putting some dough away. anyone got any suggestions on a good high interest savings ACC that would do the trick,

The Abbey do an "Abbey Super ISA" in the north - 6.25% for 13 months and then you go onto the variable rate after that. Not sure if its any good but I'm in it anyway

http://www.abbey-products.com/product/direct-isa-squirrel/

wherefromreferee?

Will be keeping an eye on this thread as I know very little about the whole banking industry.  I was also wondering with the high interest accounts, do you have to start with a large amount (£3000?) to open the account.
In your Endo!

Onion Bag

Quote from: take_yer_points on April 02, 2008, 10:30:46 AM
Quote from: Onion Bag on April 02, 2008, 10:25:32 AM

The Abbey do an "Abbey Super ISA" in the north - 6.25% for 13 months and then you go onto the variable rate after that. Not sure if its any good but I'm in it anyway

http://www.abbey-products.com/product/direct-isa-squirrel/

Thats great cheers, All the banks seem to throw all these different accs and interest rates at you and its hard to know which to go for, They are all crooks, hate the b*****ds

illdecide

Make sure you have a we account of you're own without her knowing because if you don't she'll clean you out man ;) :D. I suppose it's up to you if you're that type of person to share everything and she knows where every last cent/pence goes but i have my account and my wife has hers and thats that. I'm not being sneaky or anything to hide thats just the way it is.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

stevo-08

I presume you're from the north and are looking for a sterling bank a/c, in which case I aint too sure. But for what its worth, the best high interest a/cs down this side of the country are with AIB (7.3%), First Active (7.15%), EBS & Anglo (both 7%). Depending on who you save with, can lodge between €300-€1,000 per month.

although to make some real savings, make sure you put the foot down good & early, making sure herself doesnt get carried away by it all. Trust me, thats easier said than done.  ;)

the Deel Rover

Just wondering how much is it costing to get hitched these days ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Onion Bag

Quote from: illdecide on April 02, 2008, 11:06:46 AM
Make sure you have a we account of you're own without her knowing because if you don't she'll clean you out man ;) :D. I suppose it's up to you if you're that type of person to share everything and she knows where every last cent/pence goes but i have my account and my wife has hers and thats that. I'm not being sneaky or anything to hide thats just the way it is.

Sorry lads maybe i didnt make it clear enough, Its just a few pounds for the actual wedding, after that it will be separate accs,

Onion Bag

Quote from: the Deel Rover on April 02, 2008, 11:14:09 AM

As the old question goes, "how long is a piece of string"? all depends on what she wants, because at the end of the day it has f**k all to do with you, all you got to do is turn up, but i will give you a good indication, your meal will be around €40---€50 a head and evrything else after that is around £1000, Im from the north but getting married in the south, Bands, Photgraphers, video, Flowers, Dresses, Suits, etc. And then you have to go and look about a honeymoon, havent even done that yet

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Onion Bag on April 02, 2008, 11:21:44 AM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on April 02, 2008, 11:14:09 AM

As the old question goes, "how long is a piece of string"? all depends on what she wants, because at the end of the day it has f**k all to do with you, all you got to do is turn up, but i will give you a good indication, your meal will be around €40---€50 a head and evrything else after that is around £1000, Im from the north but getting married in the south, Bands, Photgraphers, video, Flowers, Dresses, Suits, etc. And then you have to go and look about a honeymoon, havent even done that yet

i got married a few years ago but crikey the prices have gone up :o, the next time i get married :P i'll fcuk off to some warm country with my family and closest friends and have one hell of a do.  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

imtommygunn

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/

Check out this site. It's the business for all things money related and there should be a comparison of savings accounts.

stevo-08

all depends on what she wants
see my post above. size 12s need to be planted to the floor.

Im from the north but getting married in the south
So is the wife to be from the south then? If so, then you might be able to use the original savings a/cs i mentioned.

Bands, Photgraphers, video, Flowers, Dresses, Suits, etc. And then you have to go and look about a honeymoon, havent even done that yet
Ask every single one of them for a discount/their best offer. All they can say is no. And when they give you the final price, ask how much discount will they give if you pay cash..

Bensars

Alliance and leicester were offering an account at 12% AER for new customers  for the first year only.

Onion Bag

Quote from: stevo-08 on April 02, 2008, 11:42:03 AM
all depends on what she wants
see my post above. size 12s need to be planted to the floor.

Im from the north but getting married in the south
So is the wife to be from the south then? If so, then you might be able to use the original savings a/cs i mentioned.

Bands, Photgraphers, video, Flowers, Dresses, Suits, etc. And then you have to go and look about a honeymoon, havent even done that yet
Ask every single one of them for a discount/their best offer. All they can say is no. And when they give you the final price, ask how much discount will they give if you pay cash..

Nah, both of us are Nordies, we will just have to tighten the old belts and believe me, No matter where i go, I always ask for the old discount and best for cash offers,

Onion Bag

Quote from: Bensars on April 02, 2008, 11:48:20 AM
Alliance and leicester were offering an account at 12% AER for new customers  for the first year only.

That sounds good, Might give them a shout and ask them to send me out some forms