Savings ACC

Started by Onion Bag, April 02, 2008, 10:25:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: the Deel Rover on April 02, 2008, 11:14:09 AM
Just wondering how much is it costing to get hitched these days ?

Getting married is the cheap part - it's the period after that costs the most !  ;D ;D ;D

Muzz

Quote from: Onion Bag on April 02, 2008, 12:47:26 PM
Quote from: Bensars on April 02, 2008, 11:48:20 AM
Alliance and leicester were offering an account at 12% AER for new customers  for the first year only.

That sounds good, Might give them a shout and ask them to send me out some forms

Im in this savings account - you wont have access to the money for the year.  The most you can save a month is £250.  But have to lodge a minimum of £500. 

Onion Bag

Quote from: Muzz on April 02, 2008, 01:23:33 PM
Quote from: Onion Bag on April 02, 2008, 12:47:26 PM
Quote from: Bensars on April 02, 2008, 11:48:20 AM
Alliance and leicester were offering an account at 12% AER for new customers  for the first year only.

That sounds good, Might give them a shout and ask them to send me out some forms

Im in this savings account - you wont have access to the money for the year.  The most you can save a month is £250.  But have to lodge a minimum of £500. 

f**k that for a game of darts
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Lar Naparka

Down south, RaboDirect would be as good as can be got with the sort of money you're talking about.

However, here's an idea that might interest you:
I imagine you are referring to a regular savings account, the sort you stick a few quid into at regular intervals. You really won't earn much anywhere, if it's only going to be for a short period and you are starting off from scratch.
Now if you do happen to have a sum already saved, why not use that to stick into a Fixed Term Deposit account (3 months, 6 months or whatever.) You'll get a higher rate of interest and this interest rate starts off on deposit. You can then divert your regular savings into the account you took the deposit from.
I know the big catch is that you need to have a thousand or more already saved as you can't top up a fixed term deposit and you need to leave it in for the duration of the term but the interest rate will be far better
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Onion Bag on April 02, 2008, 11:17:18 AM
Sorry lads maybe i didnt make it clear enough, Its just a few pounds for the actual wedding, after that it will be separate accs,
another easliy led lamb to the slaughter ..... ;) :o

seperate accounts, did you get that in writing.
I had a quiet few months (picture no sound) after I brought up the mention of 'pre-nuptial agreement'.

Rabobank were/are good down here and have the highest rating in whatever the feck it is - meaning they are the least likely to go bust (a la northern rock)
so money is safe

eddie hobbs was on tv a few weeks ago talking abou this. Its prob on his web site and his latest money magazine apparantly carried all this info. I saw the programme so didnt need to buy it.

best of luck with the savings.
Wedding can be exp.
Car hire , suit hire, cake, wedding dress, bridemaids dress, wine, champagne, corkage, food, favours (the posh name for wee sweets or chocs), band, disco, invitations, flowers for the church,flowers for the mothers/grannies, paying priest and alterboys and sacristan, photographer, wedding singers, honeymoon
think thats it. Mine cost me £15000 approx in 2001. The honeymoon was an extra 8k.
But prices are diff in NI plus this was nearly 7 years ago - i'd sy you;'ll pay more now!

the Deel Rover

did you get the pre nup signed Lynchboy ;) and they said the kerry boys were cute
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

lynchbhoy

Quote from: the Deel Rover on April 03, 2008, 04:28:34 PM
did you get the pre nup signed Lynchboy ;) and they said the kerry boys were cute
no didnt go with it in the end..
love conquers all ! :)

the Deel Rover

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 03, 2008, 04:40:06 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on April 03, 2008, 04:28:34 PM
no didnt go with it in the end..
love conquers all ! :)

your some boyo  :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

rosnarun

or else she was earninng more than him.
stick with the joint account women alway seem to be able to pull money outta some where . We could be broke one night. the woman goes for a few pints to console herself and whatdo you money problems gone by the morning.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

pintsofguinness

QuoteWedding can be exp.
Car hire , suit hire, cake, wedding dress, bridemaids dress, wine, champagne, corkage, food, favours (the posh name for wee sweets or chocs), band, disco, invitations, flowers for the church,flowers for the mothers/grannies, paying priest and alterboys and sacristan, photographer, wedding singers, honeymoon
think thats it. Mine cost me £15000 approx in 2001. The honeymoon was an extra 8k.
But prices are diff in NI plus this was nearly 7 years ago - i'd sy you;'ll pay more now!

That's just insane!
I don't understand the need people have to spend that type of money on one day, is it for show or what? 
Are you not better putting money like that into a house?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Bensars

15 k  Stg  is about right. However this takes in account everything.

I know my own wedding paid for itself with a nice wee lump sum left over. The same applies to my friends who have got married in the last 5 years.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Bensars on April 03, 2008, 08:16:08 PM

I know my own wedding paid for itself with a nice wee lump sum left over. The same applies to my friends who have got married in the last 5 years.

Oh it's a business opportunity? I see.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

full back

Quote from: rosnarun on April 03, 2008, 05:00:37 PM
or else she was earninng more than him.
stick with the joint account women alway seem to be able to pull money outta some where . We could be broke one night. the woman goes for a few pints to console herself and whatdo you money problems gone by the morning.

I think she may have consumed more than a few pints ros  ;)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 03, 2008, 07:05:26 PM
That's just insane!
I don't understand the need people have to spend that type of money on one day, is it for show or what? 
Are you not better putting money like that into a house?

I know - it was a bit of a killer alright, but thats weddings down here , and I am glad I dont have to pay for the same now
its got way worse since then

I think they are hiring swans and all that f**king shite now - its not a show, ist now a competition.
I couldnt give a fcuk after I got the agreement to get hitched in a catholic church - missus would be apathetic to religion, so I got my way and the 'show' was effectively a compromise.
Its like this, when yer this ugly, you have to do a lot to get a woman to marry you !

Anyhow, I have feck all of a mortgage, and dont need much money to live since I stopped going mad on booze a number of years ago (its amazing the big holidays you can take with the money you save by not spending on drink).

(Ros - naw I was a contractor back then and times were good, although she would have run me close !)
:)

Bensars

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 03, 2008, 08:59:30 PM
Quote from: Bensars on April 03, 2008, 08:16:08 PM

Oh it's a business opportunity? I see.

Who said anything about a business oppurtunity. I made a matter of fact remark that agreed with a previous statement of another poster.

Dont  always try to be the smart arse pints !!