Mayo v Dubs 2 July

Started by The Hill is Blue, June 26, 2023, 05:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfquarter

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 02, 2023, 06:51:35 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 02, 2023, 06:43:22 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 02, 2023, 05:28:14 PM
This year was a rebuilding year for Mayo . A League win and a qf aren't too shabby. They also learnt how to time wins in the round robins.

The Mayo rebuilding was done under Horan in his last few years. McStay and his well stocked management knew this when they took on the job.  The real mess up for Mayo was in the group stage when they should have topped the group after beating Kerry away.  Only beating Louth by 1 point and losing to Cork. It was scoring difference that allowed Cork finish 2nd.

A semi final was probably as far as Mayo would have got though.  No defender/warriors likes Keegan,Boyle,Higgins,Barrett anymore. Midfield light on options now compare to loads of options 2013 to 2017 and while Tommy Conroy,Ryan O'Donoghue are decent forwards they are no Cillian O'Connor and Andy Moran at their peak.

As for Dublin they brought McCaffrey,Cluxton,Mannion back to win another AI and today like Kerry yesterday laid down a marker.

The damage was done in the Cork game alright. Three games on a row caught up with us. Even so a semi-final was going to be our ceiling.

Exactly.
Three away games on the trot in treee weeks , no team could survive that

Itchy

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 02, 2023, 09:21:47 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 02, 2023, 08:15:06 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 02, 2023, 06:22:13 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 02, 2023, 06:13:26 PM
I think it's clear now that Mayo are a team in decline. Dubs rolled back the years but I still see Kerry as well ahead of them.

Ah jez, decline? In decline from what? Where were this group to decline from?

In decline from a top 4 team, in decline from a team that was within a kick of the ball of winning sam.

This group were never a top 4 team or within a kick of winning Sam.

I know you're probably a bit cranky but I never mentioned "this group", I was referring to Mayo the football team being in decline ie slipping away from the heights they were once at.

highorlow

As predicted, too many games in a short space of time caught up with us.

This will sound like sour grapes but to expect this amount of games from amateur players is too much.

Could we not have an extra week so the QF matches would be a more level playing field. The team that goes straight through gets 3 weeks and the others 2 weeks. It'd just mean pushing the final out by a week.

Mayo have gone backwards anyone who says differently isn't watching our match's in full. We have forwards that don't show for the ball that are no use one on one. Nearly all our scores come from runners or overlaps. We are lacking a ball winning inside forward akin to Andy Moran.

Our midfield is non existent and what's worse when the chips are down they go into hiding. I'd have Hession in midfield, we need to find another.

Our defence is getting or will get a slating but when your overran at midfield it's good night Irene.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

highorlow

QuoteExactly.

Correct, even Monaghan only managed a draw, so no team won.

p.s., well done to Dublin great to see yer die hards back today blasting out Molly Malone and donning the "city that fought an empire" jerseys, the jacks are back.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

AustinPowers

Quote from: highorlow on July 02, 2023, 10:28:47 PM

This will sound like sour grapes but to expect this amount of games from amateur players is too much.

Could we not have an extra week so the QF matches would be a more level playing field. The team that goes straight through gets 3 weeks and the others 2 weeks. It'd just mean pushing the final out by a week.

Mayo have gone backwards anyone who says differently isn't watching our match's in full. We have forwards that don't show for the ball that are no use one on one. Nearly all our scores come from runners or overlaps. We are lacking a ball winning inside forward akin to Andy Moran.

Our midfield is non existent and what's worse when the chips are down they go into hiding. I'd have Hession in midfield, we need to find another.

Our defence is getting or will get a slating but when your overran at midfield it's good night Irene.

Yeah I'd  agree.  There  needs to be 3 weeks between the QF and semi, and between the semi and final.  This will allow for a replay in  QF and semis. To expect  Armagh  and Monaghan players to  go for 100 minutes, then penalties  was too much. A replay would have been appropriate

A fortnight  between the Hurling  and football  finals too. Neither  get the proper build up they deserve

Main Street

Quote from: highorlow on July 02, 2023, 10:30:37 PM
QuoteExactly.

Correct, even Monaghan only managed a draw, so no team won.
Only managed a draw,  extra time, a black card and a penalty shoot out. Only!!
Yes we were the only team to manage the only.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Itchy on July 02, 2023, 10:21:13 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 02, 2023, 09:21:47 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 02, 2023, 08:15:06 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 02, 2023, 06:22:13 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 02, 2023, 06:13:26 PM
I think it's clear now that Mayo are a team in decline. Dubs rolled back the years but I still see Kerry as well ahead of them.

Ah jez, decline? In decline from what? Where were this group to decline from?

In decline from a top 4 team, in decline from a team that was within a kick of the ball of winning sam.

This group were never a top 4 team or within a kick of winning Sam.

I know you're probably a bit cranky but I never mentioned "this group", I was referring to Mayo the football team being in decline ie slipping away from the heights they were once at.

Not cranky at all, You mentioned the word ''Team''. So I presumed you were talking about this group. Mayo are not in decline, you can't win a League title without something about you. You can't beat Kerry in Killarney without something about you. You Can't beat Galway in Salthill without something about you. Our consistency has been our problem. Following good results with god damn awful ones.

Todays performance was all about Mayo losing to Cork two weeks ago. Once that happened we were chasing our tails. A energy sapping match v Galway followed by a game 7 days later to a rested Dublin was always going to be a big ask.

Rossfan

Quote from: AustinPowers on July 02, 2023, 10:57:48 PM

Yeah I'd  agree.  There  needs to be 3 weeks between the QF and semi, and between the semi and final.  This will allow for a replay in  QF and semis. To expect  Armagh  and Monaghan players to  go for 100 minutes, then penalties  was too much. A replay would have been appropriate

A fortnight  between the Hurling  and football  finals too. Neither  get the proper build up they deserve

You'd have the AI Final in October at that rate and Co Finals on Christmas Eve
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AustinPowers

Quote from: Rossfan on July 02, 2023, 11:34:53 PM

The AI final is  6 or 7 weeks  earlier now , but the club county  finals  still aren't played any earlier

thewobbler

Why just 3 weeks? I mean it's clearly obvious that nobody is capable of performing in football unless they get a long rest. Let's put a full year between every match.

From the Bunker

Quote from: thewobbler on July 02, 2023, 11:54:12 PM

Why just 3 weeks? I mean it's clearly obvious that nobody is capable of performing in football unless they get a long rest. Let's put a full year between every match.

Counties like Leitrim and Waterford have fond memories of having a year between each championship match.

AustinPowers

Quote from: thewobbler on July 02, 2023, 11:54:12 PM

Good idea   ;)

screenexile

Bollocks lads the bottom line is the carrot has been there from the start that you win the group and get your rest. Mayo had it in their hands and they couldn't do it so faced the disadvantage today.

They were bad and then conceded that needless goal which took the game away from them:

Not sure where Mayo go from here!

Hound

It's nonsense (and sour grapes) to say it's unfair on Mayo they had to play 3 games in 3 weeks.

Everyone knew from the start of the championship it was important to win the group to get the advantage of the week's rest. Everyone had equal opportunity of winning their group.

But all these teams are capable of playing once a week, no problem, the issue would be managing injuries. It was the third quarter where Dublin took over, particularly around midfield, where Fenton and McCarthy completely got on top of Ruane (who also had a week off) and O'Connor (one of the fittest around).

But even then, Mayo missed the open goal that would have brought it back to 4 points with 20 minutes to go. After being pretty much obliterated for 15 minutes, to be only 4 points down would have been a huge impact on all players and fans. Anything could have happened after that. I was well aware during the game that Mayo have come back from similar before

seafoid

Quote from: AustinPowers on July 02, 2023, 11:51:34 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 02, 2023, 11:34:53 PM

The AI final is  6 or 7 weeks  earlier now , but the club county  finals  still aren't played any earlier
There would be enough time if the provincials were separated from the championships and county competitions were standardised.

https://youtu.be/1fajvqa50Jc