Mayo v Dubs 2 July

Started by The Hill is Blue, June 26, 2023, 05:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

It was a new format and many of us thought that you had no chance of winning an All Ireland unless you topped the group or got a bit of a luck with the draw, it transpires that is true. I've seen Ray Boyne's stats at full time, suspect it was a lot more even at half time. Dublin though were very impressive especially in that opening 7 minutes of the 2nd half; Eoghan McLaughlin though has not improved his footballing skills since he came on the scene, might even have gone backwards and he's got to score that.

Dublin and Kerry can sleepwalk their way through their province whilst nobody else has that luxury, look its not their fault but we really need a stronger Cork, Kildare & Meath.

Halfquarter

Quote from: Hound on July 03, 2023, 08:19:23 AM
It's nonsense (and sour grapes) to say it's unfair on Mayo they had to play 3 games in 3 weeks.

Everyone knew from the start of the championship it was important to win the group to get the advantage of the week's rest. Everyone had equal opportunity of winning their group.

But all these teams are capable of playing once a week, no problem, the issue would be managing injuries. It was the third quarter where Dublin took over, particularly around midfield, where Fenton and McCarthy completely got on top of Ruane (who also had a week off) and O'Connor (one of the fittest around).

But even then, Mayo missed the open goal that would have brought it back to 4 points with 20 minutes to go. After being pretty much obliterated for 15 minutes, to be only 4 points down would have been a huge impact on all players and fans. Anything could have happened after that. I was well aware during the game that Mayo have come back from similar before

Certainly not nonsense, dress it up any way you want to, three away matches in three weeks is too much.
Now ,saying Ruane had a week off is nonsense !!!! 26 Dublin players had two weeks off and didn't have to leave their own back yard .

Rossfan

Dublin must love playing against McStay managed teams..
4-24, 2-32, 2-26, 2-17.....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

highorlow

QuoteIt's nonsense (and sour grapes) to say it's unfair on Mayo they had to play 3 games in 3 weeks.

QuoteEveryone knew from the start of the championship it was important to win the group to get the advantage of the week's rest. Everyone had equal opportunity of winning their group.

Hound read it as you wish. A Monaghan lad on here went daft with me on another Fact I stated as well. You will see in the build up to this match on here that I didn't hold up much hope as I sensed the back to back to back to back games would get us. Larryin89 also stated the same. I still think it's unfair on amateurs who put in a massive dedication to our sports to have a pile up of games when there is no real need.

If Galway were on the field yesterday in place of us it'd have been a demolition job as well.

Anyhow, best of luck to Dublin and I hope it's either yourselves or Monaghan that do it this year.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Shamrock Shore

Dubs did it for Christy Dignam

Hoor was never off The Hill.

full moon

O'Shea being substituted was the wrong call in my view. He was one of Mayo's better players, won lots of ball. He's an easy scapegoat, lots of others offered nothing.

Blowitupref

Don't think Mayo need to be told they wasted their big chance to top their group once they beat Kerry away in round 1. That's not the point of the argument though, most supporters especially neutrals watching wants to see competitive All Ireland Quarter finals the likelihood of that ever happening when one Quarter finalists is playing their 3rd match in 14 days and the other is rested for a week was slim.

GAA have already looked at getting rid of pre-season comps and league finals. I would expect common sense to prevail for next year with a two week gap between the Prem Quarter final and the AI Quarter final.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Quote from: screenexile on July 03, 2023, 01:06:01 AM
Bollocks lads the bottom line is the carrot has been there from the start that you win the group and get your rest. Mayo had it in their hands and they couldn't do it so faced the disadvantage today.

They were bad and then conceded that needless goal which took the game away from them:

Not sure where Mayo go from here!
If you have to win your group and 3 out of 4 provincial winners did, that is no better than the 1990s knockout
version when the provincial winners  were the semifinalists. 

From the Bunker

Did the Mayo players stay in Dublin the (Saturday) night before

full moon

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 03, 2023, 03:09:44 PM
Don't think Mayo need to be told they wasted their big chance to top their group once they beat Kerry away in round 1. That's not the point of the argument though, most supporters especially neutrals watching wants to see competitive All Ireland Quarter finals the likelihood of that ever happening when one Quarter finalists is playing their 3rd match in 14 days and the other is rested for a week was slim.

GAA have already looked at getting rid of pre-season comps and league finals. I would expect common sense to prevail for next year with a two week gap between the Prem Quarter final and the AI Quarter final.

Or maybe the best teams topped each group and went on to win their QFs as they were the better teams. That happened in 3/4 of the games anyway. I don't buy the break stuff, others were talking up the momentum they had. Tyrone and Mayo were thoroughly outclassed by far superior opposition.

When will people and media that Dublin are on a different planet to most teams and the only team that can even compete with them are Kerry and thats because of Clifford.  You only have to look at the Dublin bench yesterday, Kilkenny, McCaffrey, Rock, Small. Even a guy like Craig Dias one of the best club players in the country in recent years, is lucky to make their bench at times and doesn't get a kick. They have the population, funding, coaching and clubs that means they will be at the top for a long long time. 14 semi finals in a row.

highorlow

QuoteDid the Mayo players stay in Dublin the (Saturday) night before

Don't know. All the players (from all the counties still in the competition) the last few weeks must've got time off from their employers? Does it work that way ?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Blowitupref

Quote from: full moon on July 03, 2023, 04:47:48 PM

Or maybe the best teams topped each group and went on to win their QFs as they were the better teams. That happened in 3/4 of the games anyway. I don't buy the break stuff, others were talking up the momentum they had. Tyrone and Mayo were thoroughly outclassed by far superior opposition.

When will people and media that Dublin are on a different planet to most teams and the only team that can even compete with them are Kerry and thats because of Clifford.  You only have to look at the Dublin bench yesterday, Kilkenny, McCaffrey, Rock, Small. Even a guy like Craig Dias one of the best club players in the country in recent years, is lucky to make their bench at times and doesn't get a kick. They have the population, funding, coaching and clubs that means they will be at the top for a long long time. 14 semi finals in a row.

Both Dublin and Kerry easily could have finished 2nd in their groups. Had Roscommon won in round 1 instead of drawing with Dublin (had a free with the last play of the game to win) and had Mayo held onto their lead and won against Cork.

Best teams will win the All Ireland quarter finals but that's not the point made here. Few people want to see in the last 8 of any competition having mis-matches as we seen the 2nd half of the Kerry and Dublin games and the 3 matches in 14 days for Tyrone and Mayo most certainly played a part in that.   

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

WhoDat

Quote from: full moon on July 03, 2023, 02:49:26 PM
O'Shea being substituted was the wrong call in my view. He was one of Mayo's better players, won lots of ball. He's an easy scapegoat, lots of others offered nothing.

agree. couldn't understand that decision.

Eire90

your punishment for not winning group was having to play an extra game   should have won your group if you wanted a rest.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: WhoDat on July 03, 2023, 06:07:50 PM
Quote from: full moon on July 03, 2023, 02:49:26 PM

agree. couldn't understand that decision.

Given his age and weight he probably hadn't more than 50 minutes in him yesterday? all players are monitored with trackers nowadays and could well have been beeping for Aidan O'Shea given the amount of work he put in first half.