Mayo v Dubs 2 July

Started by The Hill is Blue, June 26, 2023, 05:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CK_Redhand on July 02, 2023, 05:44:33 PM
Quote from: straightred on July 02, 2023, 05:42:41 PM
Quote from: Schkite on July 02, 2023, 05:37:44 PM
Kerry and Dublin have shown this weekend to be a real level above the rest. Derry/Monaghan are going to need to do something extraordinary to prevent a Kerry v Dublin AI final
You're probably right but we should also say that both Mayo and Tyrone were really poor this weekend
3/4 teams who played last weekend were put out. 3 weeks in a row took its toll.  Definitely looked like a bit of fatigue in Mayo and Tyrone. Makes Monaghan win even more impressive.

There was nothing impressive about Monaghan performance though, Armagh were brutal too, everyone will be looking to get Monaghan in fairness
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

full moon

Pathetic display by Mayo in second half. Two very disappointing games today. If its not anti football snoozefest like the first match , it's a team being annihilated in an uncompetitive match.

Dunno how long  they can squeeze paying fans for this rubbish

Schkite

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 02, 2023, 05:47:10 PM
Kerry and Dublin have shown this weekend to be a real level above the rest. Derry/Monaghan are going to need to do something extraordinary to prevent a Kerry v Dublin AI final
You're probably right but we should also say that both Mayo and Tyrone were really poor this weekend
3/4 teams who played last weekend were put out. 3 weeks in a row took its toll.  Definitely looked like a bit of fatigue in Mayo and Tyrone. Makes Monaghan win even more impressive.

There was nothing impressive about Monaghan performance though, Armagh were brutal too, everyone will be looking to get Monaghan in fairness

I doubt either Kerry or Dublin will really give a shite whether they get Derry or Monaghan in all fairness. For teams like that it's not a huge concern as they can't meet each other til the final

J70

Upbeat and philosophical from McStay.

And why not?

Mario

Quote from: Rudi on July 02, 2023, 05:46:28 PM

It's a silly advantage for the 4 group winners. All teams need a 2 week break.
I disagree, if you want the break win your group. All the people complaining that the groups are pointless, look at what 3 group winners did and Armagh unlucky not to join them in semis

From the Bunker

Quote from: J70 on July 02, 2023, 05:52:06 PM
Upbeat and philosophical from McStay.

And why not?

He knows how to play the game. He has worked in media for years.

Hound

Quote from: Mario on July 02, 2023, 05:52:25 PM

I disagree, if you want the break win your group. All the people complaining that the groups are pointless, look at what 3 group winners did and Armagh unlucky not to join them in semis
Absolutely. People moaning about meaningless games during the group phase, but turns out they weren't meaningless (as many on here were pointing out the importance of finishing top).
You'd wonder how things would have turned out had Mayo not dropped the ball v Cork

full moon

For such a media hyped rivalry you'd think Mayo might actually win a match against Dublin and not once a decade!

But then again they need something to sell the game, the actual spectacle is so negative and boring on the pitch. And when the medals are handed out it's business as usual Dublin and Kerry.

Rossfan

It's Sunday so I'll do the Christian thing....
Hard luck Mayowestros!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

full moon

I also thought Mayo's subs and changes were strange, O'Shea was winning lots of ball and he was benched when they needed a ball winner. There was at least 8 others that could have been subbed before him, most of their team was anonymous or poor. Even though O'Hora was getting done by Basquel at least he could make positive runs forward and energy. Others offered nothing. Many Mayo players you'd barely know they played their names weren't mentioned at all.

seafoid

3 qualifiers means the qfs are biased towards group winners.

thewobbler

Quote from: full moon on July 02, 2023, 06:02:35 PM
I also thought Mayo's subs and changes were strange, O'Shea was winning lots of ball and he was benched when they needed a ball winner. There was at least 8 others that could have been subbed before him, most of their team was anonymous or poor. Even though O'Hora was getting done by Basquel at least he could make positive runs forward and energy. Others offered nothing. Many Mayo players you'd barely know they played their names weren't mentioned at all.

Agreed. Mayo didn't have the physical strength to win clean ball at midfield or break lines, and had no target man to change things up. Even a tired AOS would have been a better option for those roles than anyone who came on.

Itchy

I think it's clear now that Mayo are a team in decline. Dubs rolled back the years but I still see Kerry as well ahead of them.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Itchy on July 02, 2023, 06:13:26 PM
I think it's clear now that Mayo are a team in decline. Dubs rolled back the years but I still see Kerry as well ahead of them.

Ah jez, decline? In decline from what? Where were this group to decline from?

straightred

Quote from: thewobbler on July 02, 2023, 06:08:15 PM
Quote from: full moon on July 02, 2023, 06:02:35 PM

Agreed. Mayo didn't have the physical strength to win clean ball at midfield or break lines, and had no target man to change things up. Even a tired AOS would have been a better option for those roles than anyone who came on.
they were the disappointment of the weekend. I honestly thought they had more about them than that. Might be time to move from OSe. They've never worked out how to use him and at this stage are unlikely to ever do so