Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milltown raver

I'm near sure there was more than 4 that left the pane!!
It will maybe give other guys a chance to get county experience against weaker counties.
the fact is even last year in the run up to the TM cup there was only 7 or 8 at trainings as club became every players priority. so for these guys to pull out of the panel, i dont think is a big deal as im sure more will follow. 

NAG

Milltown raver

can i clarify that you said experience against weaker counties?

where in under god do we get off calling anyone weaker than us, at least these players had the bottle to come out and say it.

I maintain scrap the county team for now, no training pick a team for the games and get them played.

Mickey Linden

Fermgeal is right, Antrim wont start challenging for honours at senior grade until they sort their underage setup out. Given the size and population of the county it is worrying that they have no school playing A grade football! Antrim need to get someone with experience and know how to look after minor or even U16 football. At the minute there does not seem to be any pride amongst the senior players and the fact that players often drop off the panel shows that many of the players do not realise how big of an honour it is to represent their county! This pride needs to be instilled in young players from an early age. 

milltown raver

Fair point Nag  ???   but the likes of kilkenny and london are seriously S**t.

Think your right, back to the clubs, and start from scratch looking for potential players.
I've never seen Jody in Milltown!!!

NAG

I never actually seen him at a club game and I would be at most of the big games and some of the crap games but with maybe a couple of potential players.

Im not slating him and saying he never goes, but i dont think there would be anything wrong with casting the net a bit wider. Anyway back to the clubs and let them work away.

ONeill

SS is close to the mark there on his cryptic analysis of what ails Antrim football. I was asked on a Monday morning by a brother of a famous footballer what would I suggest as the way forward for Antrim. I was unable to answer that question without insulting the Antrim brethren in attendance.

Jody Gormley was almost there in terms of his ethos concerning non-committment etc. However, I think it'll take someone with a bit more authority and presence to see it through.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

milltown raver

I would say YES these boys will be back playing next year, and i'm sure they will be as committed as ever. I personal think they've been too honest, but maybe it will highlight the joke, that is our county teams preparation for this competition. These four lads of whom I have no great love for, as Milltown row will tell ya, never stop training they will train prob harder in the next 3 months with there club than they have in the last 6 with the county, so why should they commit to a shambles of a setup where you arent guaranteed more than 10 at a session, esp as ch'ship approaches more boys will drift back to club. they've give there all and come up short. Rem the week after the waterford game there was 10 at training, the four people that are being slated here, were there. At least they've had the guts to stand up and say what they thought, lets see how many real good training sessions the county has in the next few months

PlayWithTheWind

can understand why the boys have decided to leave, but it doesnt say much when your captain leaves. Expect more from him.

what about Brady, Niblock and McLean?
cant see the likes of Magill hanging around either

who will replace these boys?
Its not over til the fat lady sings!

milltown row

sure there is loads of footballers in Antrim we've 6 leagues!!!!!! this Sunday there most be at least 800 players on show for the county to have a look at. people on complaining about Naomh Gall having too many footballers on the county team ya can't win.

have a look at the lower leagues your bound to pick up a cracker

milkman mk II

best news ive heard, is about gallagher leaving! shame about kelly, meant to be antrim diehard and bring player commitment to a new level, aye right! yous leave when antrim needs yous most. disappointed with mcgourty! still, life goes on without them, hope young burkey gets a chance, as well as hasson for midfield!

imtommygunn

There's an awful lot of criticism of Gallagher. If some other boys had even half the work rate of Gallagher then we'd be in a much better position.

Who said about St Galls having too many players on the team - sure Cargin had more...

Couldn't see Portglenone even challenging st galls - remember last year's final? Don't get me wrong Portglenone could be the third best team in the county however there's a massive gap between Cargin St Galls and everyone else - massive. Cargin's indiscipline is the only thing that let's them get beat by anyone but St Galls. St Galls don't have that problem.

We have county players in the top 3 divsions. Anything beneath that is to a large extent second teams so hardly going to happen.

Thought Terry O'Neill was very harshly dropped against Cavan after being one of the better players in the league so maybe not totally surprised about him. Not surprised about McGourty. I am a bit surprised about Kelly and Gallagher though but these two boys have put in a lot over the last few years so can't completely begrudge them.

I'd like to see more of a fit Kieran Close, Tomas McCann, Benny Hasson and maybe a Paddy Cunningham who'll bother his a**se showing for the ball in the TM. We need to uncover some tight marking defenders in this TM - we're seriously lacking them.

FermGael

I wonder what happens with the grant, sorry i mean expenses, payments for these 4?
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

milltown row

they wont be getting them, these guys weren't in it for the money

Minder

Dont like to pinpoint players but Aidso Gallagher gets a lot of stick on here but if all the players had his workrate and determination Antrim footballers would not be in the state it is, he is not going to get you 0-6 from play but he is a great ball winner and winner of dirty ball.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

milltown row

Hard station you obviously don't know Sean Kelly otherwise you would not put on such a post nor do you know Terry O'Neill.

i for one was at the game on sunday and these guys tried to win the match, they are winners such attitude has got them to Croke Park and three Ulster finals. they train on their own and with the team to condition themselves for the Championship games. they are also play all their club games hurling and football train kids at he club also. If you think they are not committed to Antrim then your way off the mark.