?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Josey Wales

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 28, 2019, 10:05:30 AM
Quote from: Josey Wales on August 28, 2019, 09:45:42 AM
Clubs strung along again and people wonder why there is such apathy around the Clubs towards the County setup.  The only way to turn things around was to give clubs a say but it has actually now alienated them more.  I don't expect anything less from a County board who goes down to congress and votes against motions opposite to the way clubs have instructed them to do.

Rory Gallagher - He will really get the fans flocking to watch his brand of football.

First part of what you say, I agree to a certain extent. However, some clubs would never be happy with the county setup no matter what so it's not as black and white as you say, IMO.

As for Gallagher, what ever you think of his "brand" of football, of the potentials listed, he has the most experience and been involved with an AI winning team.
I think it's funny that we get people trying to pick and choose the type of football we will play, for me the players you have and the type of football they are used to playing will dictate the type of football you play. If you don't have the attacking talent, you must make yourself hard to beat by playing defensively and countering.

How many club teams in Derry play an all out attack minded free flowing brand of football? And how many play defensively?
There's not many managers in Derry who don't play a defensive brand of football so I can't understand the comments deriding the brand of football Gallagher would bring. It would just be an extension of the club scene, IMO.

I take on board what you are saying about the forwards but i disagree.  You just have to go and look at the club football and you will see the high scoring games week in week out.  Very rare you see a team scoring under 10pts.

I also think we have the attacking talent in the county - already there such as Cassidy and ones coming through in the next year or two.  I honestly believe when they have went to the county they have had no proper coaching/instruction on how to complement each other.  Our county forwards have played like 6 individuals and that has happened for at least 5 years.  That will never work at county level. 

Keyser soze

Clubs strung along again and people wonder why there is such apathy around the Clubs towards the County setup.  The only way to turn things around was to give clubs a say but it has actually now alienated them more.  I don't expect anything less from a County board who goes down to congress and votes against motions opposite to the way clubs have instructed them to do.

Rory Gallagher - He will really get the fans flocking to watch his brand of football.

First part of what you say, I agree to a certain extent. However, some clubs would never be happy with the county setup no matter what so it's not as black and white as you say, IMO.

As for Gallagher, what ever you think of his "brand" of football, of the potentials listed, he has the most experience and been involved with an AI winning team.
I think it's funny that we get people trying to pick and choose the type of football we will play, for me the players you have and the type of football they are used to playing will dictate the type of football you play. If you don't have the attacking talent, you must make yourself hard to beat by playing defensively and countering.

How many club teams in Derry play an all out attack minded free flowing brand of football? And how many play defensively?
There's not many managers in Derry who don't play a defensive brand of football so I can't understand the comments deriding the brand of football Gallagher would bring. It would just be an extension of the club scene, IMO.

That's nonsense, other than Screen cant think of a defensive team in top 2 divisions.

tbrick18

Quote from: Keyser soze on August 28, 2019, 10:20:57 AM

That's nonsense, other than Screen cant think of a defensive team in top 2 divisions.

So no teams play with sweepers or on the counter attack apart from Screen? That sounds like nonsense to me!
To be fair, I wouldn't have too much knowledge outside of the top division...and some would argue I wouldn't have too much knowledge full stop. But, its my opinion.

Outside of Slaughtneil the standard of club football is not particularly high and the county side reflects this. Competitive yes, because there are 5-6 teams that are all similar level, but competitiveness does not equate to quality. We just don't have it.
We've had some sparks of hope with Glen minors, St. Pats and the county minors in recent years but it takes time for those players to filter through and in reality we've already lost some of that quality with Glass gone to Oz, followed by Brown and Anton Tohill.

uimhr ocht

We will be playing in a second tier championship soon and need an experienced manager at county level to get us up to div 2 asap,o rourke was the ideal candidate but isnt available gallagher would be a positive appointment,if derry win an ulster title winning ugly i would take that all day long,as for dwindling crowds lol our support is a joke we could be playing attacking brand of gaelic football ever seen there would still be more at a club championship match.

Derry Optimist

Regardless of who the new Derry manager is, he must ensure that all  of our best players are selected if they make themselves available.Unfortunately it is extremely difficult for any manager to make his team competitive if some of the better county players do not commit to the cause.

This is especially true in a county which is not endowed with many above average quality players. Derry needs players like Niall Loughlin,Danny Heavron,Kevin Johnston et al to be available and willing to commit themselves fully.

toby47

Us Derry folk play the 'AFL' card too much.

Conor Glass was a complete standout player, guaranteed to have a long inter county career.
Callum Brown didn't start for his own age group at u20's. However I think he had the potential to become a good inter county footballer.
Anton Tohill didn't start for his club senior team, St Pats MacRory team or his county minor team.

Glass for me is the only guaranteed massive loss out of the 3. Callum Brown definitely had big potential, but loads of 18-20 year olds have had the same potential in the past 10 years and never ended up being county footballers.

Glenman93

[/quote

I'm confused. Do the GAA rules say that counties have to appoint somebody proposed by clubs?

Smurfy123

Poor football on show next year in Celtic Park
Is McIvor the only man who doesn't know why Gallagher got chased out of Fermanagh

BuzzKill (Version II)

So only Screen play defensive football? Most teams play sweeper. Some even play multiple sweeper systems.

Coleraine play a passing game with sometime 14 men behind the ball. Done them no harm as they are current champions.
Magherafelt game against Slaughneil in championship last year.
Lavey/Loup/Dungiven have played defensive football at time this year.

uimhr ocht

Took fermanagh to an ulster final gained promotion also then chased?he probably decided to implement a style of play based on what players quality wise were in fermanagh,it might be a hard watch but he made them competetive,i dont think it was just as bad when he was donegal manager.

Will it ever end

Quote from: Smurfy123 on August 28, 2019, 12:09:21 PM
Poor football on show next year in Celtic Park
Is McIvor the only man who doesn't know why Gallagher got chased out of Fermanagh

Seems to be quite a bit of commentary around some reason for leaving but no one actually saying what it is - care to elaborate?

Keyser soze

Quote from: BuzzKill (Version II) on August 28, 2019, 12:43:09 PM

So only Screen play defensive football? Most teams play sweeper. Some even play multiple sweeper systems.

Coleraine play a passing game with sometime 14 men behind the ball. Done them no harm as they are current champions.
Magherafelt game against Slaughneil in championship last year.
Lavey/Loup/Dungiven have played defensive football at time this year.

All teams play defensive when they don't have the ball of course. But this conversation is in the context of the very defensive system employed by RG over the past 2 seasons with Fermanagh and IMO no team in derry sets up in this fashion or anywhere near it.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: toby47 on August 28, 2019, 11:40:32 AM

Conor Glass was a complete standout player, guaranteed to have a long inter county career.
Callum Brown didn't start for his own age group at u20's. However I think he had the potential to become a good inter county footballer.
Anton Tohill didn't start for his club senior team, St Pats MacRory team or his county minor team.

Glass for me is the only guaranteed massive loss out of the 3. Callum Brown definitely had big potential, but loads of 18-20 year olds have had the same potential in the past 10 years and never ended up being county footballers.

Is that true?

Seems really odd.

Will it ever end

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 28, 2019, 04:50:14 PM
Quote from: toby47 on August 28, 2019, 11:40:32 AM

Is that true?

Seems really odd.

Would agree with those points Toby.

Wildweasel74

Funny I seen Anton Tohill playing full forward in a few games. I think whether he com in as sub am not sure. The Derry Senior team has lack size and hopefully they will in 3or 4yrs these lads return in better physical condition