10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: braveheart on August 25, 2019, 08:39:25 PM
Quote from: Will it ever end on August 25, 2019, 06:37:10 PM
Quote from: braveheart on August 25, 2019, 05:32:58 PM
Are Quigan relegated to junior football?

Yes - but I think will play in the intermediate championship next year.
Gaelic football is extremely odd ATM. From being in an Intermediate final to dropping to junior football in 1 season. Kilrea dropped to the intermediate league last year and Dungiven have dropped to intermediate this year.
Has it changed now and it is the top 3 teams in division 1B and the intermediate championship winners that play senior championship next year ?

braveheart

Quote from: Peter john on August 25, 2019, 11:04:44 PM
Can't understand how Paddy Downey still gets jobs,a mercenary
Be Careful now. He's a blue through and through. He's up there with the Cassidy brothers. He is doing it for the love of the game.

Rawhide

Braveheart I don't think we're in a position to complain as someone could describe us as a mercenary club, with Enda McGinley taking our football seniors and Conor Gillian taking our senior Camogie.
cccc is a true supporter lol

braveheart

Quote from: Rawhide on August 26, 2019, 02:36:56 PM
Braveheart I don't think we're in a position to complain as someone could describe us as a mercenary club, with Enda McGinley taking our football seniors and Conor Gillian taking our senior Camogie.
There are very few clubs who haven't someone in a paid role. Slaughtneil have a fellow from Tyrone training them. Maghera have a fellow from Kilcoo. Bellaghy have a fellow in. Lavey have a fellow from Tyrone. Draperstown have Baker. Magherafelt have Cush. Dungiven have Fat Mick. Banagher have men in. Other than Ballinderry I don't think many clubs are free from paying for something

lenny

Quote from: Silver hill on August 25, 2019, 10:16:03 PM
rawhide, Jonny was involved with fermanagh along with Malachy o'rourke. He was successful with Galbally despite what you say. He's Derry to his core and will bring a level of integrity and professionalism. More importantly, as a people manager, he has a presence. It is utterly inconceivable that we are even thinking about taking in a mercenary that fermanagh cast adrift.

Johnny Mcbride might turn out to be a great choice but he would be a massive gamble because of his inexperience in management. The last time I heard the phrase "he has great ideas about how the game should be played " was when Kenny Dalglish was general manager of Celtic and he appointed John Barnes as head coach. We all know how that turned out. You also say he's Derry to the core yet he must be retired from county football for at least 12 years and to my knowledge he hasn't been involved in development squads, minor, u20 or u21. He has taken galbally and Loup for short spells. I think a real problem in Derry football is the ego of ex players who don't want to serve any kind of apprenticeship to bring teams through to senior. Micky Harte, Jim gavin, Jim mcguinness and Peter Keane are all examples of quality senior county managers who have it in the hard yards and served their apprenticeship. Having said all that if he's appointed I'll wish him good luck and support him.

greenlight

Quote from: lenny on August 26, 2019, 05:18:12 PM
Quote from: Silver hill on August 25, 2019, 10:16:03 PM
rawhide, Jonny was involved with fermanagh along with Malachy o'rourke. He was successful with Galbally despite what you say. He's Derry to his core and will bring a level of integrity and professionalism. More importantly, as a people manager, he has a presence. It is utterly inconceivable that we are even thinking about taking in a mercenary that fermanagh cast adrift.

Johnny Mcbride might turn out to be a great choice but he would be a massive gamble because of his inexperience in management. The last time I heard the phrase "he has great ideas about how the game should be played " was when Kenny Dalglish was general manager of Celtic and he appointed John Barnes as head coach. We all know how that turned out. You also say he's Derry to the core yet he must be retired from county football for at least 12 years and to my knowledge he hasn't been involved in development squads, minor, u20 or u21. He has taken galbally and Loup for short spells. I think a real problem in Derry football is the ego of ex players who don't want to serve any kind of apprenticeship to bring teams through to senior. Micky Harte, Jim gavin, Jim mcguinness and Peter Keane are all examples of quality senior county managers who have it in the hard yards and served their apprenticeship. Having said all that if he's appointed I'll wish him good luck and support him.

Barnes was manager of Celtic for 29 games, winning 19. A win ratio of 65%. Before Henrik Larson got injured that season they'd won 13 out of 14 games, scoring 43 goals and conceding only 3.

So I'd wager it would have "turned out" a lot better had the best player ever to play for Celtic been fit for the full season. Your analysis is maybe better in the EPL.

Derry's last two managers have got us relegated consecutive divisions. Given what's gone before him, I'd take a win ratio of 65%, wouldn't you?

Silver hill

Does Rory Gallagher really care about how Derry do.?will defeats cut him and keep him awake at night? I don't think so. Mcbride should get it because he's one of us, he wants it and most importantly, he's the most capable. Experience is irrelevant if the ability is there

Rawhide

Silverhill I just don't see what you are seeing, infact what u are seeing is based on your gut feeling and nothing to do with facts. If taking a club to a county final is your barometer we can put a few in their, ie Muldoon, he WON an intermediate championship, Paddy Bradley who won an intermediate championship, still none of them like McBride have proven themselves a higher level. McGoldrick and Doherty well above the threshold you are promoting. Massive gamble. Gallagher, I need to think about that after seeing the paper. His record is well beyond McBrides. If we can confirm that he doesn't get to sleep if his team looses will that do
cccc is a true supporter lol

Glenman93

One man is hugely experienced at senior county level.
One man is fairly experienced at youth county level.
One man is hugely experienced at club level.
One man is fairly experienced at club level.
First two are not from Derry. Other two are.
Interviews are not often based on emotion or passion. 

Silver hill

Rawhide, the facts are that Muldoon and Bradley have not put their names forward for this role so your argument there is redundant . I'm dealing with the people who have been nominated by the clubs, and then the other two, who were nominated by Mcivor and Smith. I suppose it does boil down to your individual football philosophy and how you think the game should be played. Then you add in the ethos of our association and what we want representing us. Maybe I'm old school, but I would like to see this Derry team punch above their weight (like Monaghan) with players giving everything for the jersey with a manager who is actually of us. Sitting in Owenbeg looking down at Gallagher, playing 15 behind the ball and knowing he's bankrupting us into the bargain, no thanks.

tbrick18

Does anyone have a full list of nominations?
I wouldn't be against any of the names I've seen mentioned in the last few posts.
We are a div3 side and are not going to get a div1 manager as a result.
Sean Mcgoldrick isn't a bad option. Would have some knowledge of the club scene in Derry and might be the type of man who can galvanise a squad.
Has over achieved probably with Coleraine so who knows what he could do with a county team.

Champion The Wonder Horse

He could hopefully get his clubmen to commit

theticklemister

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 27, 2019, 02:11:10 PM
I wouldn't be against any of the names I've seen mentioned in the last few posts.
Sean Mcgoldrick isn't a bad option. Would have some knowledge of the club scene in Derry and might be the type of man who can galvanise a squad.
Has over achieved probably with Coleraine so who knows what he could do with a county team.

Four

-Gallagher

-Mickey Donnelly

-Johnny McBride

-Peter Doherty/Sean's mcGoldrick

tbrick18

Quote from: theticklemister on August 27, 2019, 02:28:47 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on August 27, 2019, 02:11:10 PM

Four

-Gallagher

-Mickey Donnelly

-Johnny McBride

-Peter Doherty/Sean's mcGoldrick

Cheers Tickle.
All very different managers and all with their pro's and cons in terms of experience or lack of.
For me, a toss up between Gallagher and McGoldrick.
We need to be hard to beat before anything else, and I think both managers would make defence and possession a priority.
Gallagher has it on experience, but McGoldrick I think would get a lot of respect from the players within the county.
Tough call.

JohnDenver

Was Peter Doherty not let go by a few clubs fairly early, or am I thinking of somebody else?