2013 All Ireland Final: Mayo v Dublin

Started by All of a Sludden, August 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mano

Mayo were excellent from 1 to 10 apart from AOS who was very poor. forwards let them down yet again - only 2 out of the 9 forwards that played for Mayo scored. Well done to Moran who took the chances that came his way. Taking Freeman off was strange and bringing Varley on is just ridiculous. He's not of the level required.
Surely the first criteria when selecting a forward to start and be part of the squad is that he can take a score. Hard working should be secondary

mouview

Quote from: Aaron Boone on September 22, 2013, 07:13:50 PM
The team who beats Kerry usually wins the All-Ireland, this year it happened.

'98, '01?  ;)

cicfada

From a Connacht point of view, I am disappointed today. I thought mayo would win but I obviously underestimated the pace and fitness of the dubs. Only one of the mayo forwards functioned from a scoring point of view ( which is what they're there for) and that's just not good enough . For the second game in a row, Aidan o Shea was poor but yet his more effective brother was taken off ?? Mayo may come back but it may not be next year. Twill take a huge effort to get to yet another final and are there the forwards that are needed in the county I wonder ? Hard to know who will win next year, but you would have to be putting the dubs , Kerry , Donegal , cork, Tyrone and mayo, if they find forwards in the mix . A reasonable year in Gaelic football but the best team won, that's for sure! Scary thing is, they might even get stronger with the experience their young players got this year!!

Itchy

Why was o Connor left on, to take frees? He was a passenger and all he scored were 20m frees. Freeman took off way to early. It was a poor final and seems the Sunday game pundits were unable to call it as it was as they had expended so much effort hyping the two teams up. There was as much cynical stuff and shire hand passing as in any game this year yet not a peep out of the "experts". Saying all that Dublin were the best team this year and fair play to them.

rodney trotter

Cluxton being able to pick out a free player from nearly ever kick out was another strange one. Surely that was stuff Mayo would have known about.

Syferus

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 22, 2013, 09:03:07 PM
Cluxton being able to pick out a free player from nearly ever kick out was another strange one. Surely that was stuff Mayo would have known about.

AOS is no quick mover but being so loose on another walking tank like Bastick was unforgivable. AOS is the most talented midfielder in the sport but it's no under-estimation to say his inability to stick to his man presented Cluxton with many of the easy kick-outs. Mayo's midfield was almost entirely by-passed today.

Orangemac

Think they were so primed to stop short kick outs they neglected space further out the field.

would agree o'connor was passenger,missed a couple of early frees when Mayo were on top.Mayo forwards bar Moran went missing in 2nd half when game was up for grabs.

Mayo will be close again next year but will need to unearth some new blood in forwards along the lines of McBrearty when he came into Donegal team.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

IolarCoisCuain

Fair play to Dublin, they were the better team. Hope good men like Indiana, the Squire, Canalman and Hound enjoy tonight (even thought Indiana seems to be currently shackled by The Man).

People are wondering how Mayo will come back. Well, the same way we always do, I guess. It's not like we haven't had to do it before. See you in the FBD.

yellowcard

Brogan, Higgins and Cian O'Sullivan would be my 3 nominations for MOTM but for a player whose temperament has proven suspect in the past I thought that ultimately Brogans scores were the difference and he probably done enough to shade it.

Cluxtons accuracy from kick outs was outstanding today particularly as the game wore on. He is the best GAA goalkeeper I've ever seen and will be irreplaceable for them. Will he now bow out at the pinnacle?

anglocelt39

One conclusion I have come to from today is that while you might have some chance of analysing relatively pedestrian sports like soccer/rugby/chess while watching it on the box there is too much going on in a game like today's to come to any conclusions without being there. Watching it on the TV over the first 25 minutes it looked like Mayo were going to leather them off the park. Clearly something was going on off camera where Mayo were absolutely flaking themselves into the ground to maintain their level. First goal for the Dubs was a major development. Will Horan be able to motivate these lads to go at it again, bi call....
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Wildweasel74

Goalkeeper like him could play into his late 30`s if he wanted too

INDIANA

Quote from: yellowcard on September 22, 2013, 09:18:45 PM
Brogan, Higgins and Cian O'Sullivan would be my 3 nominations for MOTM but for a player whose temperament has proven suspect in the past I thought that ultimately Brogans scores were the difference and he probably done enough to shade it.

Cluxtons accuracy from kick outs was outstanding today particularly as the game wore on. He is the best GAA goalkeeper I've ever seen and will be irreplaceable for them. Will he now bow out at the pinnacle?

Lee Keegan was outstanding.  Second only to brogan. Best wing back in Ireland by a mile.

lenny

Quote from: yellowcard on September 22, 2013, 09:18:45 PM

Badly at fault for the mayo goal though.

Jinxy

Congrats to Dublin, fully deserved the win.
Would someone not have a word in that caveman O'Garas ear and tell him to give up the macho man routine?
The amount of times he fouled a Mayo player and then stood over him preventing him getting up was ridiculous.
If you were any use you'd be playing.