These New Rules are a joke

Started by BallyhaiseMan, January 03, 2009, 09:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: cavan4ever on January 05, 2009, 08:35:43 AM
Is that possible i though that two blacks resulted in a yellow!

Yep, two blacks = one yellow, and the replacement brought on, assuming the quota of substitues hasn't already been exhausted.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Hardy

They're turning the game into feckin snooker.

cornerback

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2009/0104/dalyp.html

The GAA's Head of Games, Pat Daly, is convinced the new disciplinary rules can help make Gaelic Games more exciting and entertaining.

Daly attended a number of ties in the pre-season competitions at the weekend, and was encouraged by what he witnessed.

After watching Queen's defeat Cavan by 3-13 to 0-12 at Breffni Park, Daly was upbeat about the experimental departure.

He was particularly enthused by the high scorelines which appear to have resulted from a reluctance on the part of the players to commit themselves to cynical, reckless or disruptive fouling.

'We were happy, basically there was more playing time, less frees, less cynicism and bigger scoring,' he said.

'I don't think anybody would have anticipated that kind of a scoreline from a McKenna Cup game.

'It will take the referees a bit of time to adjust, and it will take the players a bit of time to adjust to it.

'But the message will get through. The message here is on playing the ball, not on playing the man.'

Four players were sent off on yellow cards at the Cavan town venue.

The home side's Eddie Reilly lasted just 13 minutes, and he was followed to the dug-out by team-mates David Gibney and John McCutcheon, with QUB's Paul Courtney also making an early departure following a booking. All four players were replaced by substitutes.

'You don't want to see anybody sent off. The guys that went, the referee (Fermanagh's Martin Higgins) said he was pretty sure that they were neck-high tackles, they were deliberate fouls and the guys deserved to go, based on the rules of the day,' said Daly.

'It will take the perennial fouler a bit of time for it to sink in that "if I play my usual game here I won't be around playing it".'

But the Croke Park chief insisted that players, managers and referees will be given some leeway in the weeks ahead as they grow accustomed to the new rules, which will also apply to the National Leagues.

'I think everybody needs a bit of time, everybody needs a bit adjustment, but it was a good open game. It maybe died a bit after Queen's got their third goal, but I don't think they would have got the third goal under the old rules.

'Basically what we would be saying to referees, if the player is making a reasonable attempt to play the ball and conceded a free, just ignore that.

He added: 'It's not a black mark down against the player, and once referees get to understand that, that the guy is making a reasonable effort to play the ball and concedes a free, it doesn't come against him.

'It's only when he isn't making any effort to play the ball that he is penalised, and I think if all the referees are working on that wavelength when we get to the start of the National League, then that would be very good.'

And he cautioned fans that enjoy the less savoury aspects of the game that they are going to be disappointed in the weeks and months ahead.

'I think supporters come and expect to see a bit of digging, if I can put it that way. But if you come and expect to see a bit of digging, you'll be disappointed.

'You can't be ambivalent about the thing. You either play football, or you don't play football.'

cornerback

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/pdf/newrules_footballfouls.pdf

And from this link, it says that there are a few infractions that only warrant a 3rd black book & not a yellow card!

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: thejuice on January 04, 2009, 03:13:00 PM
1 meath player put off. Another was carded but didnt go off so the ref must have temporarily forgotten the rules

Fairly sure there was only the one yellow juice, deserved as well. Referee was fairly lenient, let a lot go and if the new rules were not in force there would have been more yellow and black cards imo. Less inclination for the ref to give a black card these days as he has to stop and get the players name, which holds up the play, wheras before he could wave his notebook in the players general direction and tick his number when he got the opportunity. Will reserve my opinion on the new rules till the league is underway...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Hardy

Yellow, black, red. Safety. One foot on the ground at all times. Football is turning into snooker, but without the rough and tumble.

The GAA

i hear the esteemed gerry kinneavy or whatever he's calling himself these days dished out 10 yellows over the course of 70 minutes yesterday?

good man gerry

BigJohnBrowne

I was at that game and I have to say that 5 Cards were deserved and 5 were OTT.  He went mad all together - have to question Ref's interpretation of the rules.  Tics or Black books would have been sufficient in most cases and a little warning.  It was frustrating coming home from Tuam after that spectacle and then watching Jonathan Mullin on about how well things went in Kildare v Wexford with clips of the Ref taking full control of the situation, TALKING to the players and ZERO yellow cards, complete OPPOSITE to Tuam sham.

kevmy

Quote from: The GAA on January 05, 2009, 12:38:41 PM

i hear the esteemed gerry kinneavy or whatever he's calling himself these days dished out 10 yellows over the course of 70 minutes yesterday?

good man gerry

He was always a letter of the law man rather than a common sense ref. Most of his calls are correct technically but he never seems to be able to separate the rule book from the actual game. Exactly the type of picky ref who will fcuk up the new rules

saffron sam2

Quote from: kevmy on January 05, 2009, 01:59:25 PM
Quote from: The GAA on January 05, 2009, 12:38:41 PM

good man gerry

He was always a letter of the law man rather than a common sense ref. Most of his calls are correct technically but he never seems to be able to separate the rule book from the actual game. Exactly the type of picky ref who will fcuk up the new rules

I remember the days when he would give out any number of yellow cards to an individual player and still not send him off. How times have changed.

The name in bold below always sends an aul chill down the spine. Would probably say therefore that anything from 0 to 1 of those four yellows would have been the correct call.

Quote from: cornerback on January 05, 2009, 11:53:12 AM

The GAA's Head of Games, Pat Daly, is convinced the new disciplinary rules can help make Gaelic Games more exciting and entertaining.

Daly attended a number of ties in the pre-season competitions at the weekend, and was encouraged by what he witnessed.

After watching Queen's defeat Cavan by 3-13 to 0-12 at Breffni Park, Daly was upbeat about the experimental departure.

He was particularly enthused by the high scorelines which appear to have resulted from a reluctance on the part of the players to commit themselves to cynical, reckless or disruptive fouling.

'We were happy, basically there was more playing time, less frees, less cynicism and bigger scoring,' he said.

'I don't think anybody would have anticipated that kind of a scoreline from a McKenna Cup game.

'It will take the referees a bit of time to adjust, and it will take the players a bit of time to adjust to it.

'But the message will get through. The message here is on playing the ball, not on playing the man.'

Four players were sent off on yellow cards at the Cavan town venue.

The home side's Eddie Reilly lasted just 13 minutes, and he was followed to the dug-out by team-mates David Gibney and John McCutcheon, with QUB's Paul Courtney also making an early departure following a booking. All four players were replaced by substitutes.

'You don't want to see anybody sent off. The guys that went, the referee (Fermanagh's Martin Higgins) said he was pretty sure that they were neck-high tackles, they were deliberate fouls and the guys deserved to go, based on the rules of the day,' said Daly.

'It will take the perennial fouler a bit of time for it to sink in that "if I play my usual game here I won't be around playing it".'

But the Croke Park chief insisted that players, managers and referees will be given some leeway in the weeks ahead as they grow accustomed to the new rules, which will also apply to the National Leagues.

'I think everybody needs a bit of time, everybody needs a bit adjustment, but it was a good open game. It maybe died a bit after Queen's got their third goal, but I don't think they would have got the third goal under the old rules.

'Basically what we would be saying to referees, if the player is making a reasonable attempt to play the ball and conceded a free, just ignore that.

He added: 'It's not a black mark down against the player, and once referees get to understand that, that the guy is making a reasonable effort to play the ball and concedes a free, it doesn't come against him.

'It's only when he isn't making any effort to play the ball that he is penalised, and I think if all the referees are working on that wavelength when we get to the start of the National League, then that would be very good.

And he cautioned fans that enjoy the less savoury aspects of the game that they are going to be disappointed in the weeks and months ahead.

'I think supporters come and expect to see a bit of digging, if I can put it that way. But if you come and expect to see a bit of digging, you'll be disappointed.

'You can't be ambivalent about the thing. You either play football, or you don't play football.'

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

magpie seanie

Reading what Pat Daly is saying has me wondering am I grossly out of touch with the game of Gaelic Football. Maybe I'm a fan of this cynical, reckless and disruptive fouling and don't appreciate the beauty of watching a forward run through unimpeded on goal. Shame on me.

saffron sam2

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 05, 2009, 02:10:19 PM
Reading what Pat Daly is saying has me wondering am I grossly out of touch with the game of Gaelic Football. Maybe I'm a fan of this cynical, reckless and disruptive fouling and don't appreciate the beauty of watching a forward run through unimpeded on goal. Shame on me.

Having claimed Tyrone as your second team, then yes maybe you are.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Hardy

Spot on Seanie. Also, the assumption that high scoring automatically means good game is juvenile and further increases my fear that the game is now being redefined and potentially destroyed  by people who lack any real feeling for it or true understanding of it.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: cornerback on January 05, 2009, 11:53:12 AM

'It's only when he isn't making any effort to play the ball that he is penalised, and I think if all the referees are working on that wavelength when we get to the start of the National League, then that would be very good.'

See this is the point at which it becomes inpossible for referees. Not only do they have to apply the rules of the game, but now, according to Mr Daly, they have to engage in some sort of pyschological analysis of a player to work out what his intentions were when he went to make the tackle. Is intention even in the rulebook. My understanding was that every personal foul was supposed to result in a black book with 2 fouls meaning yellow and 3 red (though obviously this tends not to happen as 7 a side is best left to Kilmacud.)

My opinion of the match I was at yesterday was that the new rules contributed to the game lacked physicality with players afraid to make challenges. I don't like to see disruptive cynical fouling even though I'd freely admit that my own county has often been guilty of it but I do enjoy seeing good physical games of football with hard honest tackling and it seems as though these new rules are designed to ensure that that sort of thing disappears.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

guevara

I was at a game yesterday were a number of guys were yellow carded for two tackles, not professional fouls or third man tackles but FOULS!!!
The GAA are a joke last year it seemed that no matter what you did after one foul you got Black book then yellow no matter the nature of the offences.
I would love to see the stats over last few years Id say the amount of cards being shown is through the roof!
This whole thing is to keep some muppet in a job! Safety my A**e. People love the game for big fair hits & hard football not the stop start American Football game its becoming.
Instead of the players these days being the main event the referee seems to be & quite a few seem to be loving it!
Why not give each county a set of clearly defined rules at start of league that arent over complicated. Whats allowed & what aint!
For example:
(1) Any third man tackles is automatic Yellow card
(2)Any striking off the ball whether seen by referee, umpire or media (tv, photographer) results in ban.
(3) Bring in points system like soccer were your yellows & reds add up to points  over season eg 2 yellow 5 for red go over certain mark & you get the associated ban. This would cut out the ability of teams to play thugs who will do anything to stop teams playmakers eg Gooch etc.
(4) Have one disciplinary comittee that are the be all & end all! No bullshit appeals to get players off offences they deserved punished for! If they can be proven guilty/ or innocent by media outlets use it!
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan