These New Rules are a joke

Started by BallyhaiseMan, January 03, 2009, 09:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: bigpaul on January 03, 2009, 11:23:19 PM
A referee's inept performance should not be used to condemn rules! I think that something should be done to change the situation where yellow cards effectively mean nothing. As the situation stood a player could pick up cautions and, as long as he was disciplined enough, there was no further sanction, or if a player picked up a yellow he was at the mercy of a cute player who could contrive to have him dismissed. I know there are holes that can be picked in this but I would be open minded about it and am happy to give it a chance in both the Mc Kenna Cup and National League.

Bigpaul your premise is right and that the current system would seem to be flawed as there can be 9 yellow cards handed out to a team and no sanction. However the main problem with this is the lack of conviction and consistency from our referees! Rather than taking players off for genuine challenges there should be a rule like 3 yellow cards for a team results in a penalty or we probably should have stuck with the sin bin system which did result in farcical matches 12v12 at first but if it had been given time I believe players would have come to terms with it and it wouldn't penalise lads who were just unlucky with certain tackles for a whole game... these new sanctions cannot work and we should be putting more effort into properly training our referees and then we can have an objective look at how to clean up our games.

paddypastit

I'm completely with Co Dery post here. There was bugger all wrong with the rules as they were / are, if they were applied properly and... consistently [the BIG if].  This lunacy of being sent off for a yellow was tried five or six years ago and was binned for the stupidity that it was. This is all about Brennan trying to save a chaotic presidency that has no legacy, unlike his predecesor (even if at least half the organisation hate him for it. In the regime before Kelly (McCague), discipline was actually OK althoiugh credit for that has to go to Duffy who was Chair of GAC at the time.  It was in that period that they tried the 'off for yellow' trick before and had the sense to abandon it. 
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

bridgegael

can't see these new rules lasting.  as someone said earlier,  refs tick everytime there is a freekick given,  they are very tick/card happy.  players have to take some responsiblity but this will just turn the game into a farce!! 

i'm going for 13 'sending offs' in mckenna cup games today.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Tyrone Dreamer

Its going to be very tough on the players who put a lot of effort into preparing for the games. One slightly mis timed challenge 5 minutes into the game and they could be looking at getting sent off. The more I think about it it is crazy especially with some of the card friendly referees about.

thejuice

1 meath player put off. Another was carded but didnt go off so the ref must have temporarily forgotten the rules
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Our Nail Loney

Listening to the Armagh match here, sounds like there is a lot of confusion regarding the new rules, the commentator doesn't have a clue!

jodyb

Quote from: bridgegael on January 04, 2009, 09:39:06 AM
can't see these new rules lasting.  as someone said earlier,  refs tick everytime there is a freekick given,  they are very tick/card happy.  players have to take some responsiblity but this will just turn the game into a farce!! 

i'm going for 13 'sending offs' in mckenna cup games today.
Any word what the tally was?

tyssam5

Still lads something has to be done to the rules. Can't have the likes of Tyrone winning the All-Ireland. They must have cheated, rule change required!

screenexile

Quote from: tyssam5 on January 04, 2009, 07:34:48 PM
Still lads something has to be done to the rules. Can't have the likes of Tyrone winning the All-Ireland. They must have cheated, rule change required!

::) ::) ::) ::)

Yes the GAA and indeed the world revolves around Tyrone!

kevmy

I think the new rules could work if they were slightly modified.

I think too many fouls will result in yellow cards. For example I agree with the wrestling on the ground, the remonstrating with officials and high tackles resulting in a yellow but not sure about the rest.

Also the fact that 2 blacks can very quickly result in a yellow is a little ott.

If refs let more fouls go as just frees instead of black cards then the rules could work

under the bar

There was nothing wrong with the rules they stood, just that the referees didnt have the balls to apply them.  The new rules makes it easier for the ref to 'dismiss' if a man can come on.   

Since they tried these new rules a few years back it seems this is more than an experiment and they are here for good this time.

Gnevin

Back from the Dublin V Offaly game where 4 walked and i don't think any player deserved to be off the pitch.

What is wrong with the Sin Bin ?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

bigpaul

Quote from: kevmy on January 04, 2009, 09:15:30 PM

I think too many fouls will result in yellow cards. For example I agree with the wrestling on the ground, the remonstrating with officials and high tackles resulting in a yellow but not sure about the rest.

Also the fact that 2 blacks can very quickly result in a yellow is a little ott.

If refs let more fouls go as just frees instead of black cards then the rules could work

As the rules stand,as I understand, three blacks result in a dismissal with no replacement !Surely that is even more ott! I think that referees were using the black as a cop out to avoid sending players off. We all need to go and properly understand the 'old rules' before dishing out too much criticism. I was standing in front of a few fellas today and when the referee awarded a free to Armagh, when an Antrim player took a free that didn't travel 14 mtrs, they came to the conclusion that the 'hop ball' rule must have been changed too!

cavan4ever

Quote from: bigpaul on January 05, 2009, 12:39:11 AM
Quote from: kevmy on January 04, 2009, 09:15:30 PM

As the rules stand,as I understand, three blacks result in a dismissal with no replacement !Surely that is even more ott! I think that referees were using the black as a cop out to avoid sending players off. We all need to go and properly understand the 'old rules' before dishing out too much criticism. I was standing in front of a few fellas today and when the referee awarded a free to Armagh, when an Antrim player took a free that didn't travel 14 mtrs, they came to the conclusion that the 'hop ball' rule must have been changed too!

Is that possible i though that two blacks resulted in a yellow!

Orior

If the rules are a joke, then this thread should be moved to a Corny One for Friday.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians