These New Rules are a joke

Started by BallyhaiseMan, January 03, 2009, 09:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

It's not the GAA's fault that cynical play has reached new levels, it's not the GAA's fault that county teams started appealing every sending off, often without any real justification. It wasn't the GAA who bitched and moaned when the sin bin was introduced, it was never the GAA who physically assaulted refs, it's not the GAA who roll around the ground holding their faces when no contact has been made. It is the GAA who have to deal with this however so I hope the GAA face down all ye moaners like they should have with the sin bin. I don't think these new rules are the best way forward but for Jesus sake give them a chance, once players get used to them it might actually achieve something. And anyone who thinks the rules are fine is deluding themselves, cynical play is a cancer on football and needs to be tackled.

guevara

so tell me this Zulu? who's fault is it?
The new system is just some mad idea that further slows up the game! The black card has simply replaced the yellow & now instead of being sent off for Red you go for a Yellow! Bet it took ages to think up that one! The new system actually promotes cynical play as instead of were you would've been a man down last year you can basically get 5 meant sent off & replace every one of them!!!!
And every problem you listed was in fact created by the GAA. I they had 1 disciplinary body there would be no issues instead we have 3/4.
The playacting thats entering the game has come about because players have realised it goes unpunished. If for example you got a 2 game ban for deliberately trying to get an opponent sent off & it was enforced you wouldn't see incidents like this!!
The GAA is its own worse enemy as much as I love the game it seems head office is dreaming up Crazy ways to pollute the game with farcical situations that only make us a laughing stock!!!
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

ONeill

There was a deliberate ploy by the HQ to send out a message that the new rules 'worked' this weekend with a few journalists involved, no matter what happened. Red Squirrel told me. Shame on them. Thanks for the whisky. 
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Zulu

It's all our fault, you only have to look at this site and see lads defending the indefensible when one of their own is involved. Like I've already said I'm not sure this new system is the way to go but I'm willing to give it a chance to see how it develops, there isn't a perfect system and any system you, I or anyone else suggests would have holes in it. So we need to give this a chance and not simply complain at the first opportunity, the sin bin was rejected out of hand after only 3 weeks, had we given it a chance it might have changed the game for ever. This time we need to face down the knee jerk reactionaries and let the new rules take there course, if they clearly don't work we can drop them and nothing will be lost but at least give them a chance.

It will take time to bed down and once it does we can judge whether it is effective or not but I don't accept these new rules are as bad as some of ye are making out. And I certainly don't accept you can judge based on one weekend of games, all the players know what fouls will get them booked so I think we could very well see less of these types of fouls and that must be a good thing.

guevara

Well I was at a game yesterday that saw a guy make two tackles (one of which was borderline foul, neither malicious or deliberate & he's sitting in the stand. Nonesense!!
Just mark my words if this is the way forward you just watch how some of the more cynical teams like Armagh & Tyrone exploit it with the taking out of key men on oppositions team knowing fine well if their man does go he can be replaced yet the other team may well lose their best player to "INJURY"  >:(
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

Gnevin

I heard on newstalk there was 80 yellow cards in 28 games !
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

mountainboii

Quote from: guevara on January 05, 2009, 08:53:44 PM
Well I was at a game yesterday that saw a guy make two tackles (one of which was borderline foul, neither malicious or deliberate & he's sitting in the stand. Nonesense!!
Just mark my words if this is the way forward you just watch how some of the more cynical teams like Armagh & Tyrone exploit it with the taking out of key men on oppositions team knowing fine well if their man does go he can be replaced yet the other team may well lose their best player to "INJURY"  >:(

Would that be the same Armagh that didn't receive any yellows in their game yesterday?

Don't spoil your argument with lazy, cliched, Spillane inspired shite.

Zulu

But the point is there has always been a problem in football with the tackle and now there is a problem with feigning injury. This is an attempt to tackle these problems, it may not work, in fact it may turn out to be worse but at least give it a few months to settle down and see what transpires. To do anything else is ridiculous IMO, there is nothing to be gained from scrapping these rules before they are given a chance.

INDIANA

Zulu it favours the stronger counties who can choose to hold back a few players and let a lesser known player "soften up" an opponent and actually be in a stronger position 20 minutes in. Thats the one flaw with it and with the cyncism employed by county teams these days we'd be naive to think that its not a possibility.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: guevara on January 05, 2009, 08:53:44 PM

Do you know the rules at all? Red card infringements are still red card infringements, so if it's that bad a tackle there won't be a replacement. Ya bitter Mexican ya, oh sorry, I forgot that Kerry are so angelic on the pitch!  :P
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

guevara

AFS

I have an opinion of my own Idont need Spillane or any other media commentator to dictate what way that opinion should Go you numpty!
Just you watch if these rules are used in the Championship I gaurantee you now Armagh & Tyrone will be the biggest  rule benders in terms of the yellow card system. Both teams have adapted a style of play that involvess doing anything within (and outside) the rules to annoy antagonise and beat your opponent!
Ciaran McKeever , Francie Bellew enough said!

Michael Jordan

INDIANA

9 times out of 10 fear, an incident will only get a yellow card. you don't have to take someone out to "soften" someone up. what games have you been watching?

Zulu

Indiana I don't think teams will employ that tactic myself but I agree it is a possibility, however lets see if they do, lets see how it pans out - good, bad or indifferent. To scrap these new rules before they are even given a chance is the height of stupidity IMO, there are a number of fouls that are listed as bookable fouls and as usual refs will get these wrong on occasion but they also often get it right. So if your team gets 6 players booked for these fouls and the opposition get 4 sent off it is probably fair to say the ref got 6/7 of these right so it is the players fault not the refs. Once players get used to it I think we will see fewer fouls and fewer bookings, but the main point I'd make is all of us are only speculating so rather than scrapping the rules and never finding out if they are good or bad, give them a chance. It's the only way to know if ye are right and others are wrong.

Fear ón Srath Bán

All about degrees INDIANA, if it's a bad enough tackle to injure someone (genuinely), then that should be a red every time. Roughing up has always been an element of the game, that's not to say that I condone that aspect of it, but it is a physical game. Regarding the cynical deployment of players, well, we'll just have to see how that materialises, because it's still a high risk strategy -- if the transgression is severe enough to genuinely rough someone up, there's a chance it'll be a red, and there will always be that chance. And not to mention that you'll be severely depleting your substitute resources in the event of injuries.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

INDIANA

I think the new rules are worth a shot but with the amount of analysis teams do on each other, thats an unfortunate potential consequence.