Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackandAmber

Quote from: Gold on June 21, 2011, 06:34:45 PM
If Antrim beat Carlow are we in the 1/4 finals?

No.  See the following chart.  A win takes us to Phase III.  A win there takes us to QF

http://www.gaa.ie/content/downloads/wallcharts/hurling_wallchart_results_2011.pdf

AQMP

So we could play Wexford again in Phase III?

BlackandAmber

Quote from: AQMP on June 21, 2011, 07:37:20 PM

It says

"Subject to avoidance of repeat pairings, where feasible ....."

So if it isn't feasible to avoid repeat parings it's possible.   ;D

Gold

Quote from: BlackandAmber on June 21, 2011, 07:49:16 PM

It says

no 1/4 finals for us then so
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Forever Green

Quote from: Gold on June 21, 2011, 09:58:38 PM

It says

Keep praying anyway ;D

BlackandAmber

Quote from: Forever Green on June 21, 2011, 10:12:38 PM

It says

Keep praying anyway ;D

Pray? HUH !

Antrim County board have purchased an ox which will be sacrificed to the goddess Nike in the centre of Casement in a ceremony to take place 3 hours before throw in.  All pagans patrons required to attend

The ox will be slaughtered by an infamous hatchetman from the St Galls club now playing reserve hurling  :D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BlackandAmber on June 21, 2011, 10:57:42 PM
Quote from: Forever Green on June 21, 2011, 10:12:38 PM

It says

Keep praying anyway ;D

Pray? HUH !

Antrim County board have purchased an ox which will be sacrificed to the goddess Nike in the centre of Casement in a ceremony to take place 3 hours before throw in.  All pagans patrons required to attend

The ox will be slaughtered by an infamous hatchetman from the St Galls club now playing reserve hurling  :D

Hmmmm, I was never a hatchet man ;D ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

It says

Could end up with Offaly, Wexford, Clare. All of which we could beat if we were on song. The other teams would beat us
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Forever Green

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 21, 2011, 11:40:12 PM

It says

Could end up with Offaly, Wexford, Clare. All of which we could beat if we were on song. The other teams would beat us

I think we would struggle against Clare. They were very impressive against Tipperary apart from some dodgy defending. Offaly seem to be in a bit of a crisis and we might have beaten Wexford if it were not for a second half collapse so i think there is a strong possibility we could beat either of them but it depends on what Antrim team shows up

imtommygunn

We need to cut out the stupid mistakes. Offaly / Wexford or Clare would murder us for some of the mistakes we made on saturday.

I don't think we're currently at a level to beat Offaly / Wwexford / Clare. A lot of our team need to hit the weights - very easy brushed off the ball - and these boys would punish you for it. I think we could compete though but they're  abit above us at present. Westmeath were cutting through the middle of our defense far too easily too - we need to cut that out.

Not sure what Carlow are like this year. They will be sore from that defeat last year as they could and should have won it. One thing is for sure - the referee can't be as bad as that game last year. That was the worst refereeing performance I ever saw - one free in the first 25 minutes for antrim when there were at the very least half a dozen to a dozen fouls.

btdtgtt

Spot on Tommy Gunn. I think we are superior to Carlow & Westmeath on a level playing field.

A big performance would allow us to compete against Offaly and Wexford.

We cannot compete physically with Clare - and are way off the level of the rest.

I think the All_Ire series have developed into a procession of fixtures until the 1/4final stages.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 21, 2011, 11:40:12 PM

It says

As I understand it, the line ups at the minute are:

1. Antrim v Carlow (Phase 1 - our match against Westmeath was a preliminary match)

2. Cork v. Offaly (Phase 1)

3. Limerick v. Wexford (Phase 2)

4. Clare v. Galway (Phase 2)

Winners of Phase 1 play winners of Phase 2.

So assuming we beat Carlow, we play either the winners of Limerick v. Wexford or the winners of Clare v. Galway - we can't play the winners of Cork v. Offaly.

Given the idea is to avoid repeat pairings (ie Wexford), we will pay Limerick, Clare or Galway. In order of preference, I think i would want them in reverse order to the way I've just set them out.

Buswhacker

Who do we meet in the Final in September ?

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: btdtgtt on June 21, 2011, 09:50:02 AM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on June 19, 2011, 03:25:59 AM
Quote from: hardstation on June 18, 2011, 11:55:00 PM
Quote from: Seamroga in exile on June 18, 2011, 11:51:21 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 18, 2011, 12:48:11 AM
Houl on ffs, you've only just bettered Rossa and they have as many in football.
Yes, indeed. A proud moment for the Shamrocks. Rossa have a great tradition in Antrim hurling. I don't quite know what you mean by that. What's football got to do with anything? If we win a couple more championships we'll have won 19, top of the pile.
If...
Well, I wasn't going to say when, was I? We're much too modest for that in Loughgiel. It's inevitable really. Ballycastle and Rossa aren't going to win the championship anytime soon, more's the pity. And the near neighbours got close but the wheels are falling off the wagon over there. The white elephant is more important at the minute. Sure it's handy for us to use it in the winter.  It's good to get your priorities right though.  ;)

All I can see is Cushendall and Loughgiel sharing the championship for the next 5 or 6 years. It's a matter of time and one thing Shamrocks supporters have is patience. We will be top of the pile.

I think the point is that Rossa have managed to build up a big tally of championships despite being committed to dual codes. That is, BC and Sharwocks can concentrate on hurling over their history while Rossa effectively matched them with only half the resources/opportuinites as they committed to hurling also. What is more interesteing however is the current evidence show this is no longer possiible? Dual clubs are either dominant in one code, or mediocre in both! Although as a Belfast man myself note that the vast majority of dual clubs are Belfast based! Not half a clubs!
Well this is a hypothetical argument, of course. Being in so much as there was no real tradition of football in either Loughgiel or Ballycastle during those times. Who knows, maybe we'd be going for top of the pile in football as well if things had been different. And I'd have though being a city club Rossa would have had more players to choose from to play both codes.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Milltown Row2

I'd say Loughgiel would have a bigger membership than Rossa and most other city clubs!!