The Discussion Board Hits The Big Time

Started by Norf Tyrone, July 27, 2007, 08:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

southdown

A good example would be Joe Brolly's comments about Mortimer.

It has been discussed on the board all week, yet only apeared in the Irish News yesterday.

5 Sams

Quote from: Star Spangler on July 27, 2007, 03:10:13 PM
Quoteand pints of porter to stay quite.

Why do so many posters from the west and south-west use the word "quite" when they mean "quiet"?  I might sound pedantic on this, but it's really starting to annoy the shit out of me!!

And don't get me started on using the word "loose" instead of "lose"......

Fcuk it Spangler I thought it was only me!!! I'm with you on this one.....another one is "leave people down".......I saw the passionate interview John Mullane did when he got sent off a year or two ago and he was talking about not wanting to "leave people down"....it's "LET people down....fcukin LET down" >:( >:(

Ahhhh......that feels better now. ;)
The Aristocrat Years

rrhf

I must admit I like his writings also.

Kerry Mike

QuoteWhy do so many posters from the west and south-west use the word "quite" when they mean "quiet"?  I might sound pedantic on this, but it's really starting to annoy the shit out of me!!

Its the lack of Grammar Schools down South...
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Tubberman

QuoteQuote
and pints of porter to stay quite.

Why do so many posters from the west and south-west use the word "quite" when they mean "quiet"?  I might sound pedantic on this, but it's really starting to annoy the shit out of me!!

Fcuk it Spangler I thought it was only me!!! I'm with you on this one.....another one is "leave people down".......I saw the passionate interview John Mullane did when he got sent off a year or two ago and he was talking about not wanting to "leave people down"....it's "LET people down....fcukin LET down" 

And the way people from the North keep saying "I mind the time..." It's "I REMEMBER the time..."   God, learn the language people  :D ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

rrhf

And southerners shouting out as we walk down the street: turkish travertine 15.99

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

Sandy Hill

QuoteGod, learn the language people 

..... and let's get rid of the ubiquitou's apostrophe's; they drive me cracker's!!!!!!!!!!!
"Stercus accidit"

Rossfan

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 27, 2007, 03:06:41 PM
Silke is some f**ker for doing that.

Agreed - but without the "for doing that" bit  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thebandit

Quote from: Gnevin on July 27, 2007, 02:37:11 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on July 27, 2007, 02:19:50 PM
I agree, slagging is fine but stepping over the line with ANY players and ANY set of county fans is not on.
Apparently there is no line as that picture is still on the board

What picture is that?

ziggysego

Quote from: Rossfan on July 27, 2007, 05:16:45 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 27, 2007, 03:06:41 PM
Silke is some f**ker for doing that.

Agreed - but without the "for doing that" bit  :D

That made me chuckle  :D
Testing Accessibility

Hardy

Silke (if what's been said here is true) is not the only journalist to have stolen material from here and presented it as his own.

I agree with those who are driven mad by misplaced apostrophes, etc. And I have to live with "leave" for "let" all the time down here and it'd give you a toothache. Especially when they get it wrong the other way around as well - "let me alone"! Can I also protest at Northerners here saying "I seen that". It's "I saw", OK? And "I have seen". It's not hard. And what does the adverb "while" mean? "It was while long" ? ? ? ?

(I'm pissed off that I didn't get a grumpy nomination).

mc_grens

Ah leave us be, I've seen worse than what's on here.

You're a while man Hardy

Ball Hopper

From the article:  "The likes of Setanta and Aisake Ó hAilpin, Jim Stynes, Tagh Kennelly, Colm Begley and most recently Martin Clarke have been carving out marvelous careers for themselves in Aussie Rules football..."

Comment:  Of all the names ever created, I would expect our Northern friends to get the spelling of "Tadgh" correct.