The Discussion Board Hits The Big Time

Started by Norf Tyrone, July 27, 2007, 08:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy Hill

QuoteWhat county is this guy Ronan from?

From Tyrone, possibly Gortin!
"Stercus accidit"

parttimeexile

Quote from: Sandy Hill on July 27, 2007, 11:58:27 AM
QuoteWhat county is this guy Ronan from?

From Tyrone, possibly Gortin!

Are you from the Sandy hill??

Aristotle Flynn

That would explain why he mentions those posters. Ziggy?? I would have thought O'Neill would have been mentioned.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Aristotle Flynn on July 27, 2007, 12:20:26 PM
That would explain why he mentions those posters. Ziggy?? I would have thought O'Neill would have been mentioned.

Is that you O'Neill ??  ;)
Tbc....

Gnevin

I agree this site has too much shit thrown directly into the fan ,intended to insult only to be explained away by saying sure it was only a joke .

2 cases in point
the one nb highlighted saying "99% of dubs are scumbags."
A other i heard  "Was the majority of dubs where scum , who are only interested in taking coke" .Both totally uncalled for,unneed and only added for the above reason

I also don't think the moderators should allow  players be called scum bags, where do we draw the line ,can we call the wife beaters? rapist? A line needs to be drawn in the sand . And WUM threads should not be allowed 
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

full back

Is it only anti-dub statements that should be outlawed gnevin?

his holiness nb

In fairness Fullback he said he didnt think ANY players should be called scumbags.

Ask me holy bollix

T Fearon

When Joe Brolly in his Gaelic Life column (presumably edited and affirmed by Mr Mc Sherry before going to print)states and I quote that "Conor Mortimer is no good anyway... Michael Mc Goldrick had him in his back pocket and fed him on farts all day", a comment which caused uproar amongst the Mayo County Board,then is the Gaelic Life/Mr Mc Sherry really in a position to lecture anyone with regards to responsibility and giving offence? :o

full back

Quote from: his holiness nb on July 27, 2007, 12:52:50 PM
In fairness Fullback he said he didnt think ANY players should be called scumbags.

I was referring to the 2 cases in point mentioned, holy man
Agree on the calling players point

baoithe

Quote from: T Fearon on July 27, 2007, 12:53:04 PM
When Joe Brolly in his Gaelic Life column (presumably edited and affirmed by Mr Mc Sherry before going to print)states and I quote that "Conor Mortimer is no good anyway... Michael Mc Goldrick had him in his back pocket and fed him on farts all day", a comment which caused uproar amongst the Mayo County Board,then is the Gaelic Life/Mr Mc Sherry really in a position to lecture anyone with regards to responsibility and giving offence? :o

Fair point. The words 'pots', 'kettles' and 'black' spring to mind.

neutral

And therein lies the crux... I wouldnt ever rule out discussion boards ever becoming more important than newspapers in terms of providing news, and i know I check the gaelic on here first.  Mc Sherry is fighting for his job here and the future of journalists everywhere.... he has led down an almost disimissive marker "almost if you are into that sort of thing" type comments.  Plus i always thought Ziggy hated  ;) him.
Whilst everyone here operates under a handle, I think it would be very interesting if the Irish times; BBC, Ulster herald, Gaelic Life and Tyrone times sports journos who are rampant on here, often stimulating debates that they can in turn write about, actually used their own names instead of orangeman; red nose red hand etc.  It could work 2 ways, ie leave them with a cult following or shatter their careers.     

Gnevin

Quote from: full back on July 27, 2007, 12:56:40 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on July 27, 2007, 12:52:50 PM

I was referring to the 2 cases in point mentioned, holy man
Agree on the calling players point
I'm sure that are plenty on examples being a dub i tend to remember the one's directed at me
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

his holiness nb

I agree, slagging is fine but stepping over the line with ANY players and ANY set of county fans is not on.
Ask me holy bollix

rrhf

I think we all are responsible for what we say or type.  Slagging does get tough and often bullshitty on here and I know I can be a wum at times, but i would like to think no one really takes offence even POG and Uladh etc. 

ziggysego

I feel honoured that I was mentioned. Ronan.... thank you. I shall take this new found fame with me and I shall use it responsibility.
Testing Accessibility