Started by Lone Shark, February 23, 2015, 10:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 24, 2015, 04:07:02 PM
Quote from: Sidney on February 24, 2015, 12:05:32 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on February 24, 2015, 11:06:09 AM
Quote from: deiseach on February 24, 2015, 11:03:22 AM
Quote from: Unlaoised on February 24, 2015, 10:38:25 AM
Also why do most county teams wear white shorts when they don't match....

I think (open to correction on this) everyone wore white shorts to begin with because players would bring their own shorts to games.

I think you're right. Down started the non white togs craze in 1968...I think.
Down first wore black shorts in the 1963 National League semi-final, against Dublin I think.

Kilkenny wore black shorts in the 1976 Leinster hurling final against Wexford but were beaten by 17 points and that was the end of the black shorts for them.

Tyrone look shit since going back to white shorts a couple of years ago.

Blue and black is an almost unheard of combination in GAA. Light blue and navy is a reasonably commonplace combination, but I don't think I've seen an Inter Milan-style blue-black combination ever.

Maghera GFC, Cavan

St Pats Maghera - Blue, white and black.

Is there any red, white and blue or those colours in any order apart from New York??

seafoid

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 24, 2015, 11:02:25 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 23, 2015, 10:36:16 PM
Also re the sash, Maurice fitz' club in kerry, the Mary's, have a sash. Blue on white.

An Ghaeltacht freisin!

That background is iconic

GalwayBayBoy

5 Sams

Quote from: seafoid on February 24, 2015, 06:39:28 PM
Also re the sash, Maurice fitz' club in kerry, the Mary's, have a sash. Blue on white.

An Ghaeltacht freisin!

Brandon on one side of the pitch and jump over the other sideline and you are in the Wild Atlantic. Serious location for a football field.
Would Love to know how many AI senior medals in total were won by club members. 24 from the Sés is a pretty good start.
The Aristocrat Years

Old yeller

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 24, 2015, 04:09:19 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 24, 2015, 04:07:02 PM
Quote from: Sidney on February 24, 2015, 12:05:32 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on February 24, 2015, 11:06:09 AM
Quote from: deiseach on February 24, 2015, 11:03:22 AM
Quote from: Unlaoised on February 24, 2015, 10:38:25 AM
Also why do most county teams wear white shorts when they don't match....

I think (open to correction on this) everyone wore white shorts to begin with because players would bring their own shorts to games.

I think you're right. Down started the non white togs craze in 1968...I think.
Down first wore black shorts in the 1963 National League semi-final, against Dublin I think.

Kilkenny wore black shorts in the 1976 Leinster hurling final against Wexford but were beaten by 17 points and that was the end of the black shorts for them.

Tyrone look shit since going back to white shorts a couple of years ago.

Blue and black is an almost unheard of combination in GAA. Light blue and navy is a reasonably commonplace combination, but I don't think I've seen an Inter Milan-style blue-black combination ever.

Maghera GFC, Cavan

St Pats Maghera - Blue, white and black.

Is there any red, white and blue or those colours in any order apart from New York??
I always thought the Magera jersey was class!

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 24, 2015, 07:55:56 PM

An Ghaeltacht freisin!

Brandon on one side of the pitch and jump over the other sideline and you are in the Wild Atlantic. Serious location for a football field.
Would Love to know how many AI senior medals in total were won by club members. 24 from the Sés is a pretty good start.

I think it's 10 outside Sé's off top of my head. O'Cinnéide has 3, Tom Long, Séamus MacGearailt, Micheál O'Sé (former commentator on minor finals as gaeilge) all have 2, Aodán MacGearailt has 1. That's won on the field now..Ronán O'Flahartha was a sub for Kerry for a bit and has 1 maybe. Might be missing someone else.
34 celtic crosses isn't bad considering it's mountains, sheep and football essentially! EDIT: Forgot about Mickey Murphy who was full forward in 1955. Make that 35.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

seafoid

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 24, 2015, 07:55:56 PM

An Ghaeltacht freisin!

Téir faobhar na  faille siar
tráthnóna gréine go Corca Dhuibhne,
Is chifir thiar ag bun na spéire
ag ráthaíocht ann
An Uimhir Dhé, is an Modh Foshuiteach, Is an tuiseal gairmeach
ar bhéalaibh  daoine:"

Fill Arís
le
Seán Ó Ríordáin

blewuporstuffed

Are there many clubs that have the 'tricolour' jersey?(like offaly)
In tyrone we have 2, carrickmore & kildress. Is this common in other counties?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

ballinaman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 24, 2015, 07:43:13 PM
A potted history on county colours on the GAA website.

http://www.gaa.ie/about-the-gaa/provinces-and-counties/about-county/county-colours/
The real reason why Mayo sport the bould Green and Red....

"Colonel Maurice Blake of Towerhill was a landlord in South Mayo, and patron of his local football team, Carnacon. When Carnacon played Belcarra in 1887, Colonel Blake saw the chance to make a political point – Blake was a Catholic, and Belcarra were sponsored by a local Protestant, Unionist, family, the Brownes. In the light of this, Colonel Blake insisted that Carnacon line out in strips that featured Green above Red, in reference to Dr Croke's fear, expressed his famous letter to Michael Cusack, that if the Irish did not stand up to express their nationality, we might all just as well "clap hands for joy at the sight of the Union Jack, and place 'England's bloody red' exultantly above the green."

http://spailpin.blogspot.co.uk/2006/02/green-above-red.html

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: ballinaman on February 25, 2015, 09:49:43 AM

http://www.gaa.ie/about-the-gaa/provinces-and-counties/about-county/county-colours/
The real reason why Mayo sport the bould Green and Red....

"Colonel Maurice Blake of Towerhill was a landlord in South Mayo, and patron of his local football team, Carnacon. When Carnacon played Belcarra in 1887, Colonel Blake saw the chance to make a political point – Blake was a Catholic, and Belcarra were sponsored by a local Protestant, Unionist, family, the Brownes. In the light of this, Colonel Blake insisted that Carnacon line out in strips that featured Green above Red, in reference to Dr Croke's fear, expressed his famous letter to Michael Cusack, that if the Irish did not stand up to express their nationality, we might all just as well "clap hands for joy at the sight of the Union Jack, and place 'England's bloody red' exultantly above the green."

http://spailpin.blogspot.co.uk/2006/02/green-above-red.html

What a deadly wee story....fair play
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

deiseach

That bit about Offaly winning a competition to wear the green white and yellow gold. Apart from why that would be considered a prize - it's orange in the tricolour, orange! - does anyone have any evidence that it's true? What was the competition? An egg and spoon race? That might explain the ubh in Uíbh Fhailí, aha ha.

I'll get my coat...

AZOffaly

It was Clara that won it I believe. And less of your cheek. Away with yer blahhhhhhhs.

JoG2

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 25, 2015, 09:22:45 AM

2 north Derry teams, Drum and Glack wore tricolour (green, white and gold (not orange) )jerseys for a while back in the very late 80's, early 90s. Drum for a season and Glack for a few but both reverted back to their original colours

Owenmoresider

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 25, 2015, 09:22:45 AM
Gortletteragh in Leitrim have been sporting it in recent years, though they were traditionally the Kerry colours.

On Leitrim, three more rare colour schemes there:
Allen Gaels and Annaduff:

Allen Gaels have had the sky blue and white/navy blue togs combo going back for some time. Annaduff's wouldn't be one I've seen too often either.

Leitrim Gaels, purple and green:

charlie linkbox

Quote from: Walter Cronc on February 24, 2015, 04:09:19 PM

Ahascragh/Fohenagh in Galway are red, white and blue.
Ahascragh were red and white and Fohenagh were blue and white and they amalgamated round about 2002 I think.