GAA Club and county colours

Started by Lone Shark, February 23, 2015, 10:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 23, 2015, 10:36:16 PM
Also re the sash, Maurice fitz' club in kerry, the Mary's, have a sash. Blue on white.

An Ghaeltacht freisin!

The Aristocrat Years

deiseach

Quote from: Unlaoised on February 24, 2015, 10:38:25 AM
Also why do most county teams wear white shorts when they don't match....

I think (open to correction on this) everyone wore white shorts to begin with because players would bring their own shorts to games.

5 Sams

Another point on this Topic why did counties change their Primary colours aswell

Sligo were white with Black trim-now all black
Donegal were green with a yellow hoop-Now yellow with green trim
Wexford seem to change the Purple and gold sequence every year

The Cats be nicer with black shorts
Kerry with Green etc

Laois wore Blue shorts instead of white in the early 80s

Kildare,Kilkenny and Down are two counties I can think of that haven't messed around with the county colours for years ..Offaly were the same but a bit different now!

Fermanagh used to be green and red.
The Aristocrat Years

5 Sams

Quote from: deiseach on February 24, 2015, 11:03:22 AM

I think (open to correction on this) everyone wore white shorts to begin with because players would bring their own shorts to games.

I think you're right. Down started the non white togs craze in 1968...I think.
The Aristocrat Years

deiseach

Traditionally in rugby it's the home team that changes their kit if there is a clash. I think this is because the touring team, like the Lions, would travel with only one kit.

macdanger2

Another point on this Topic why did counties change their Primary colours aswell

Sligo were white with Black trim-now all black

According to a link that was posted earlier, Sligo were originally all black, then changed to white before moving back again in 2001

Canalman

Several clubs in Dublin have sashed jerseys. Off the top of my head St Anne's, Commercials, St Sylvesters, Faughs, Round Towers Lusk, Parnells, Thomas Davis. May be more.

Hardy

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 24, 2015, 11:06:09 AM

Correct, 5 Sams, but it was pre 1968 and post 1961. Here's a pic from the NFL SF v. Galway in 1965:

AZOffaly

THANK YOU!!! I said that here a good while ago and was laughed out of court. I distinctly remember Fermanagh playing against Offaly in the league back in the 80s, and wearing Green with red collars and cuffs. I think Peter McGinnity was playing the same day.

Hardy

Yes - Fermanagh used to wear green and red.

5 Sams

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 24, 2015, 11:44:16 AM

THANK YOU!!! I said that here a good while ago and was laughed out of court. I distinctly remember Fermanagh playing against Offaly in the league back in the 80s, and wearing Green with red collars and cuffs. I think Peter McGinnity was playing the same day.

The reason I remember it so clearly AZ is because they beat us in the championship in Newry in the early 80s (1982?) and they were wearing those colours.
The Aristocrat Years

Sidney

Down first wore black shorts in the 1963 National League semi-final, against Dublin I think.

Kilkenny wore black shorts in the 1976 Leinster hurling final against Wexford but were beaten by 17 points and that was the end of the black shorts for them.

Tyrone look shit since going back to white shorts a couple of years ago.

Blue and black is an almost unheard of combination in GAA. Light blue and navy is a reasonably commonplace combination, but I don't think I've seen an Inter Milan-style blue-black combination ever.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Sidney on February 24, 2015, 12:05:32 PM

Down first wore black shorts in the 1963 National League semi-final, against Dublin I think.

Kilkenny wore black shorts in the 1976 Leinster hurling final against Wexford but were beaten by 17 points and that was the end of the black shorts for them.

Blue and black is an almost unheard of combination in GAA. Light blue and navy is a reasonably commonplace combination, but I don't think I've seen an Inter Milan-style blue-black combination ever.

I cant stand the change either, cant understand why they did this.
Tyrone used to only wear the white shorts when they played derry as there was a clash of strips
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Club Rossa

Tyrone only started wearing red shorts in the early 80s.I prefer the all white kit myself.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Sidney on February 24, 2015, 12:05:32 PM

Maghera GFC, Cavan