Div 1 - Mayo v Kerry, McHale Park, 20/02/2011 @ 2.30 pm

Started by AbbeySider, February 14, 2011, 05:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Solan the Great

This will be interesting. Everyone knows what happens when Mayo meet a Kerry team or play in Croke park.

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 16, 2011, 03:41:16 PM
No official team announced yet. Probs tonight. Was strong rumours on Twitter that Andy Moran would be captain. Which would mean no Dillon I presume?

I'd like to see something like this

Hennelly
R Feeney C Hallinan K McLoughlin
T Cunniffe G Cafferkey K Higgins
R McGarrity  J Gibbons
A Campbell A Moran C Freeman
M Ronaldson  A Kilcoyne  C O'Connor

Feeney is a better corner-man than out the wing, same I think about McLoughlin. Higgins probably better there too but lets see how he gets on on the wing. Cunniffe is nothing but a wing-back. Although none of that half-back line can kick the ball too well but we'll see.

I'm picking the forward line presuming Dillon doesn't play. If he does, take out one of the wing men. I've left Aidan O'Shea out as well, let him find his form first. And I don't think anyone is being dropped yet because Horan is still trying things. I'd give Hennelly the nod in goal too. Better keeper than Kenny O'Malley imho.

I saw that rumour too, I guess he is injured but I didnt hear anything.
Id like to see Hennelly between the sticks too. He handled a few high balls well against NUIG and looked confident. His kickouts may not be as accurate but that could have been just on the night.

Regarding the team, I think Feeney did too well at wing back to be moved out of there against Down so I would leave him. Also Cunniffe, Barrett and Higgins have been doing Ok in the corners. I think I would also give Aidan O Shea a go at Centre Forward for a change and switch him inside now and again. Gardnier was one of the only ones who stood out for NUIG the last night. I dont think Freeman is near the pace of it yet.

Hennelly
T Cunniffe, C Hallinan, K Higgins
P Gardnier, G Cafferkey, R Feeney
R McGarrity, J Gibbons
A Campbell, Aidan O Shea, Andy Moran
M Ronaldson, A Kilcoyne, C O'Connor

ross4life

No official team announced yet. Probs tonight. Was strong rumours on Twitter that Andy Moran would be captain. Which would mean no Dillon I presume?

I thought Andy Moran has been selected as the Captain for 2011? anyways would be silly to drop Dillion one of your most experienced & best forwards.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mannix

pstg,
you really have a sore spot with Mayo. what county are you from? i see westport on your sidebar thing but cannot see how this fits.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: mannix on February 16, 2011, 05:31:37 PM
pstg,
you really have a sore spot with Mayo. what county are you from? i see westport on your sidebar thing but cannot see how this fits.

He let it slip when he described St. Jarlath's are 'us' recently.

Na nGaillimhĂ­ aren't exactly renowned for their performances against the Kerrymen either are they?
MWWSI 2017

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: muppet on February 16, 2011, 06:43:38 PM
pstg,
Na nGaillimhĂ­ aren't exactly renowned for their performances against the Kerrymen either are they?

Up to recently enough we were actually a bit of a bogey team for Kerry. Having beaten them in 3 All-Ireland finals and 3 semi-finals.

Since 84 though they've won 3 of the last 4 meetings in the championship including the 2000 final replay.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on February 16, 2011, 04:06:18 PM
This will be interesting. Everyone knows what happens when Mayo meet a Kerry team or play in Croke park.

Yes well we beat them in the league last year so it only applies in croke Park.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: muppet on February 16, 2011, 06:43:38 PM
pstg,

He let it slip when he described St. Jarlath's are 'us' recently.

St Jarlaths was a boarding school  ::) It took students from all over the country. It being my Alma mater I will always refer to it as "us" I have some stories about the Mayo lads and there first introduction to a shower.

mannix

Do tell, they must be worth hearing if you hate mayo that much. Mayo were skinned alive by Kerry twice recently in croke park, do we hate Kerry people? I do not think we do, I don,t know anyone that does, we respect them and try to be like them. You should do the same with mayo teams and people. The man that will be in charge of your taxes and healthcare will soon be a mayoman.
How does that grab you?

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: mannix on February 16, 2011, 08:20:36 PM
Do tell, they must be worth hearing if you hate mayo that much. Mayo were skinned alive by Kerry twice recently in croke park, do we hate Kerry people? I do not think we do, I don,t know anyone that does, we respect them and try to be like them. You should do the same with mayo teams and people. The man that will be in charge of your taxes and healthcare will soon be a mayoman.
How does that grab you?

look this is a serious thread. Do not ruin it with your constant trolling please. Mayo God help us will soon turn into Ireland god help us with Inda Kinny in charge.

mannix

I am not sure what "trolling" is so I will leave it with you, a mayo man in charge could be no worse than  biffo,lenihan and bertie ahern. Are you under pressure because of them? 

AbbeySider

mannix etc stop replying to that vvanker, he is just looking for attention and we are rising to it.

Going back to topic, I hear the team won't be announced until after the first round of the sigerson so we will see have we any injurys after that.

moysider

Quote from: AbbeySider on February 16, 2011, 04:09:40 PM

I'd like to see something like this

Hennelly
R Feeney C Hallinan K McLoughlin
T Cunniffe G Cafferkey K Higgins
R McGarrity  J Gibbons
A Campbell A Moran C Freeman
M Ronaldson  A Kilcoyne  C O'Connor

Feeney is a better corner-man than out the wing, same I think about McLoughlin. Higgins probably better there too but lets see how he gets on on the wing. Cunniffe is nothing but a wing-back. Although none of that half-back line can kick the ball too well but we'll see.

I'm picking the forward line presuming Dillon doesn't play. If he does, take out one of the wing men. I've left Aidan O'Shea out as well, let him find his form first. And I don't think anyone is being dropped yet because Horan is still trying things. I'd give Hennelly the nod in goal too. Better keeper than Kenny O'Malley imho.

I saw that rumour too, I guess he is injured but I didnt hear anything.
Id like to see Hennelly between the sticks too. He handled a few high balls well against NUIG and looked confident. His kickouts may not be as accurate but that could have been just on the night.

Regarding the team, I think Feeney did too well at wing back to be moved out of there against Down so I would leave him. Also Cunniffe, Barrett and Higgins have been doing Ok in the corners. I think I would also give Aidan O Shea a go at Centre Forward for a change and switch him inside now and again. Gardnier was one of the only ones who stood out for NUIG the last night. I dont think Freeman is near the pace of it yet.

Hennelly
T Cunniffe, C Hallinan, K Higgins
P Gardnier, G Cafferkey, R Feeney
R McGarrity, J Gibbons
A Campbell, Aidan O Shea, Andy Moran
M Ronaldson, A Kilcoyne, C O'Connor

Is Dillon injured? A round of Sigerson on Thursday too. I would go along with most of those 2 teams with a preference fpr Sniper's in a couple of positions.

One thing that would concern me is that a Mayo team without Dillon, McLoughlin and Alan Freeman would be losing an awful lot of class. Possibly an arguement for 3 of top 5 quality we have available to us. All 3 were crucial in recovery v Down.

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: AbbeySider on February 16, 2011, 10:30:02 PM
mannix etc stop replying to that vvanker, he is just looking for attention and we are rising to it.

Going back to topic, I hear the team won't be announced until after the first round of the sigerson so we will see have we any injurys after that.

When I see your posts I have to remind myself.