Div 1 - Mayo v Kerry, McHale Park, 20/02/2011 @ 2.30 pm

Started by AbbeySider, February 14, 2011, 05:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: the old vet on February 17, 2011, 01:58:25 AM
could anyone tell me the laois team for sunday.

wrong thread. Google is your friend  ;)

western exile

From Mayo GAA

Mayo Team to face Kerry on Sunday is as follows:
1) Robert Hennelly,
2) Tom Cunniffe, 3) Ger Cafferkey, 4) Chris Barrett,
5) Peadar Gardiner, 6) Trevor Howley, 7) Kevin McLoughlin,
8 ) Jason Gibbins, 9) Ronan McGarrity,
10) Aidan Campbell, 11) Andy Moran, 12) Alan Dillon,
13) Aidan O'Shea, 14) Aidan Kilcoyne, 15) Mark Ronaldson

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: western exile on February 17, 2011, 04:39:46 PM
From Mayo GAA

1) Robert Hennelly,

Interesting. Would have preferred to see Cafferkey at 6 and don't consider either Barrett or Cunniffe to be corner-backs, regardless of how they might have played against NUIG. No need to see Peadar either but then I guess he hasn't played yet this year for Mayo from the start. Half-forward line is good, so too Killer and Ronnie inside. Aidan at 13? Not sure. That midfield could be hard to shift.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Tubberman

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 17, 2011, 04:45:10 PM
From Mayo GAA

1) Robert Hennelly,

Interesting. Would have preferred to see Cafferkey at 6 and don't consider either Barrett or Cunniffe to be corner-backs, regardless of how they might have played against NUIG. No need to see Peadar either but then I guess he hasn't played yet this year for Mayo from the start. Half-forward line is good, so too Killer and Ronnie inside. Aidan at 13? Not sure. That midfield could be hard to shift.

Mixed views on that team. Wouldn't be mad on having Cunniffe and Barrett as corner backs either. Would have liked to see Cafferkey again at CHB - he was loose in the first half v Down, but had good second half.
Presume O'Shea will move out the field a bit and leave the 2 quick lads inside. Or maybe swap with Kilcoyne and play FF.

We don't really seem to be solving the main problem area of the full back line, but it's only the 2nd game of the league so will wait and see what happens. Hopefully the gameplan and coaching will help to improve this area as much as fresh faces would.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AbbeySider

From Mayo GAA

1) Robert Hennelly,

Cafferkey Vs Donaghy
Howley Vs Darran O'Sullivan(?)
Possibly the Gooch Vs Barrett or Cunniffe

Could be a disaster but ill hold off judgement.

Keith Higgins is going to Oz on Saturday and is gone for 3 weeks, and missing for 3 NFL games. - big call.
Small full back line. Big tests ahead at the weekend.

ross4life

From Mayo GAA

1) Robert Hennelly,

That's pretty close to the championship team i would say.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on February 17, 2011, 05:05:46 PM
From Mayo GAA

1) Robert Hennelly,

Cafferkey Vs Donaghy

Keith Higgins is going to Oz on Saturday and is gone for 3 weeks, and missing for 3 NFL games. - big call.

Of those possible defensive match-ups, I believe Chris Barrett did well on the Gooch in Kerry a couple of years ago. Pity then that the Gooch is out with an eye injury! I'd worry seriously about the spine of that defence against Donaghy at 14 and either of the D O'Sullivans at 11. Have we anyone for Donaghy though. Perhaps Killeen but a roasting now would finish him in my opinion.

And ross4life, maybe it is but it is very hard to know how we'll line out yet. A long way off knowing our best fifteen.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 17, 2011, 05:11:05 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on February 17, 2011, 05:05:46 PM
From Mayo GAA

1) Robert Hennelly,

Cafferkey Vs Donaghy

Of those possible defensive match-ups, I believe Chris Barrett did well on the Gooch in Kerry a couple of years ago. Pity then that the Gooch is out with an eye injury! I'd worry seriously about the spine of that defence against Donaghy at 14 and either of the D O'Sullivans at 11. Have we anyone for Donaghy though. Perhaps Killeen but a roasting now would finish him in my opinion.

And ross4life, maybe it is but it is very hard to know how we'll line out yet. A long way off knowing our best fifteen.

Ya it still might be experimental, but I wouldnt experiment against Kerry if you know what I mean.
I would send out my strongest possible 15, as if you dont you could be exposed.

Regarding Donaughy, I would have chosen Ger Cafferkey to play CB and take D O Sullivan, follow him everywhere and would have added Alan Feeney or Cathal Hallinan to the full back line for some height at least. I dont really trust Cafferkey under a high ball as much although he is a great defender and I would like to have seen more of him at CB from what the North Mayo and Ballina lads rave about.

Regarding Howley? He is a bit small at that level for centerback at that level. I think the NFL final against Cork last year and the Meath championship game the year before that drove that point home.

I hope im wrong in all of that.

REDCOL

Gooch is available for selection, expect Eoin Brosnan at 6, Killian Young back, No Declan O Sullivan

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on February 17, 2011, 05:09:00 PM
From Mayo GAA

1) Robert Hennelly,

That's pretty close to the championship team i would say.

I hope not.

Cosmo Kramer

I know we are starting with a clean slate this year and all that, but surely some lessons have to be learned from the previous management reign? One being that, decent enough defender though he is, Howley is not the answer at CHB. I'm really surprised we're trying him out there yet again.

Glad to see Barrett in, I'd like him to get a run of games and see if he is good enough, if he is we might be able to move Higgins out to the half back line. Would have liked to have seen Richie Feeney in the other corner.

I like the look of the team from 8-15 and except for Alan Freeman I think that could be close to our summertime midfield, half forward and full forward line. I hope AOS has a good game and proves a few people wrong.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Mid Down Gael

The Kerry Senior Football team V Mayo Sunday 20th February 2011

1. Brendan Kealy  (Kilcummin)  2. Pádraig Reidy  (Scartaglin) 3. Marc Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) 4. Shane Enright (Tarbert)

5. Aidan O'Mahony (Rathmore) 6. Eoin Brosnan  (Dr. Crokes) 7. Jonathan Lyne (Legion)

8. Seamus Scanlon (Currow) 9. David Moran  (Kerins O'Rahilly's)

10. Gary O'Driscoll (Skellig Rangers) 11. Darran O'Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) 12. Donnchadh Walsh (Cromane)

13. Colm Cooper (Captain)Dr. Crokes 14. Kieran Donaghy  (Austin Stacks) 15. David Geaney (An Daingean)

16. Tomás Mac a t'Saoir (An Ghaeltacht) 17. Anthony Maher (Duagh) 18. Paul Geaney  (An Daingean)

19. Killian Young (Renard) 20. Kieran O'Leary  (Dr. Crokes) 21. Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers)

22. Brian Maguire (Listowel Emmetts) 23. Adrian O'Connell  (St Michael's Foilmore)

24. Daithí Casey  Dr. Crokes 25. Bryan Sheehan (St. Mary's)

Bainisteóir: Jack O'Connor (Piarsaigh Na Dromada)

spuds

Was it last year Brosnan left the Kerry panel around same time as Mike Frank ? Was he asked back or wanted back ??

So many questions  :)
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

southsider

Horan has enough full back options on the bench anyways with feeney, hallinan and killeen there. obviously no set league panel yet, rotation policy amongst the challengers for positions on the panel seems to be the way for now.

moysider

Quote from: southsider on February 17, 2011, 09:11:25 PM
Horan has enough full back options on the bench anyways with feeney, hallinan and killeen there. obviously no set league panel yet, rotation policy amongst the challengers for positions on the panel seems to be the way for now.

Could it be that he thinks Caff is still the best option for 3? Also Higgins missing may have spooked the selectors into conservatism. That s the problem. We re inclined to go back to what we know, the tried and tested, even though the test results may have been questionable in the past. Whatever about Donaghy and Gooch on Sunday, I m disappointed Caff has not been left to grow into the 6 during the league. Thought he was very good there against Down once the whole half back line started to push up on their men. And one track-back and interception he did saved a certain goal that would have buried us. I d have that before somebody spraying passes about. Trevor Howley should be given the opportunity to make a wing position his own. Although I would absolve Howley from a lot of criticism aimed at him last few years. Attacking wingbacks left him dreadfully exposed at times, with silly lurches forward and then turn the ball over. What was he supposed to do ? Not even a McGeaney, Gormley or a Moynihan would cope with that exposure. At the end of the day his size is a problem. His stopping power is all about the hit. It s a risky strategy. Caff has the size and long arms to wrap runners up.
  Long term I dont think Andy is an 11.