Div 1 - Mayo v Kerry, McHale Park, 20/02/2011 @ 2.30 pm

Started by AbbeySider, February 14, 2011, 05:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boosabum

One point from two home games is a poor return, Galway next week with a real point to prove in terms of their internal goings on. Don't see us beating dublin away and with Billie Joe capable of running up hughe scores for Armagh it could be a real dogfight to stay up. Early days yet but the forwards, bar Moran, were piss poor yesterday. Considering horan was able to knock the ball over the bar for 50 yards in his hayday, you would expect him to encourge forwards to shoot instead to going back and over the pitch. As many have said, the backs performed well but i fear for some of them later in the year. The feenys seem to be a good addition but there are still lots of questions hanging over the guys. As for poor AOS, can't run, can't catch. can't stay on his feet. It's difficult to know to do to get him motoring. He could have got the curly finger as quick as ronnie yesterday. Roll on Tuam, a victory over the old rivals could kick start the campaign

muppet

Massive optimism to depression in one afternoon.  ???

This is February. As for criticising an amateur player who gives his all to two sports most for most of the year, because he wants a few weeks holidays and a life for a bit of February and March, I just don't know.

I shouldn't worry though, it won't last long, when we beat Galway or whoever we will be world beaters again.
MWWSI 2017

Kerry Mike

QuoteI shouldn't worry though, it won't last long, when we beat Galway or whoever we will be world beaters again.

From the Examiner this morning just on cue....

"MAYO could become a super-power of the GAA world".

That is the bold statement of the county's strategic action plan committee chairman Liam Horan after launching the document on Saturday.

While acknowledging the remark could come back to bite him, Horan made the statement in the belief Mayo's fortunes on the playing field can prosper if they succeed in tapping into the unrivalled amount of demographic wealth they possess. Creating a worldwide supporters club and repatriating funds from major Irish centres across the globe is one of seven key recommendations made in the plan, which also include the appointments of a director of football coaching and a commercial director.

While the county board — who commissioned the report, were opposed to its publication, board chairman Paddy McNicholas attended the launch.

The action plan will be voted on by a county board meeting next month but in the meantime the committee intend holding information meetings with the respective divisional boards.

Speaking on Saturday night, Horan asked people to understand that the report wasn't intended to be the last but the first word in improving Mayo GAA, which was knocked so badly last year after the senior footballers' abject All-Ireland championship.

"The process of compiling our report led us to this conclusion: based on the passion and goodwill that exists for Mayo, here in Mayo, all over Ireland, and all around the globe, we are absolutely confident that Mayo could become a super-power of the GAA world.

"It is a naive statement. A wiser committee might shy away from it, because it sets us up for a fall. It is a statement that will be easily thrown back in our faces.

"Where's the super power now?' some may ask when we slip meekly out of the qualifiers this year or next. 'Whither now for the project to dominate the world?" they'll caw. Let them have their moment of pithy triumph.

"We should hold true to our aspirations, and focus solely on arranging our forces and marshalling our troops: as a large emigration county, our people have been cast to the four corners of the world, and with absence doing what it does to an already fond heart, these people are perhaps our greatest asset right now — our 16th man.

"Let us go about our business so that Mayo people all over the world have a wheel they can put their shoulder to — let's become the first county to have Mayo supporters branches in all the major 'Irish' cities."

Another of the key proposals is the establishment of a Mayo Gaelic football academy for high-potential players in the 18-22 age group and the appointment of an academy manager. The committee also propose the establishment of a Mayo GAA brand, which they see as a key element in capitalising on the support for the county.

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: muppet on February 21, 2011, 12:36:50 PM
Massive optimism to depression in one afternoon.  ???

This is February. As for criticising an amateur player who gives his all to two sports most for most of the year, because he wants a few weeks holidays and a life for a bit of February and March, I just don't know.

I shouldn't worry though, it won't last long, when we beat Galway or whoever we will be world beaters again.

I dont  think the point was about the player personally, it has more to do with the signal it sends out, he is only back training 6 weeks and heads off for 2, good luck to him if he wants to do this, surely he knew this league campaigin would be a tough one and all hands to the pump is what is needed. As for playing two games etc. not going to go there.

boosabum

The fear may have been that he would go for a longer spell originally. Although the point is valid that he should be in situ bearing in mind a new management team is trying to cobble a relatively new team and squad together.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on February 21, 2011, 12:15:56 AM
I am the only one totally confused as to how on earth the mayolads are trying to question the clearest penalty decision i have ever seen... ::)

The clearest case of charging I have ever seen.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

southsidejohnny

Sligonian, you still around you prim and proper soldier of Sligo. Hope you are not finding the rareified air of Division two not too intoxicating you. Still managed by a Galway man I see and powered by a former Mayo panalest. A yes, the big inferiorty complex is alive and well, a hatred of Mayo. In fairness i dont blame you. If I came from a county that never NEVER won a single Connacht U21 title and lived  besdie a county who has won four All Irelands at that level I too would be full of hate. Ah yes, the minors, two titles in 128 years along with 3 Senior titles. Not a big pile of chips to look at is it Sligonian?. Anyway keep sucking on your "I hate Mayo " loolipop and I look forward to either Leitrim or the Rossies baling ye this year. You lot will probably choke to them again this year. By the way, save me the "we bet Mayo and Galway last year " mantra. Ye actually bet the worst ever Mayo and Galway teams ever to tog. Blue moons dont come too often. Yours is nearly up. Loser.

Tubberman

Quote from: southsidejohnny on February 21, 2011, 10:07:02 PM
Sligonian, you still around you prim and proper soldier of Sligo. Hope you are not finding the rareified air of Division two not too intoxicating you. Still managed by a Galway man I see and powered by a former Mayo panalest. A yes, the big inferiorty complex is alive and well, a hatred of Mayo. In fairness i dont blame you. If I came from a county that never NEVER won a single Connacht U21 title and lived  besdie a county who has won four All Irelands at that level I too would be full of hate. Ah yes, the minors, two titles in 128 years along with 3 Senior titles. Not a big pile of chips to look at is it Sligonian?. Anyway keep sucking on your "I hate Mayo " loolipop and I look forward to either Leitrim or the Rossies baling ye this year. You lot will probably choke to them again this year. By the way, save me the "we bet Mayo and Galway last year " mantra. Ye actually bet the worst ever Mayo and Galway teams ever to tog. Blue moons dont come too often. Yours is nearly up. Loser.

Jaysus Johnny, that was Sligonian being reasonable  :D
You'd want to save some of the vitriol for summer when he gets really annoying  :P
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ross4life

"worst ever Mayo and Galway teams ever to tog" christ you haven't watched many Mayo & Galway teams have you?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

rosnarun

if the mayo at last have found a full back line as they seemed to have yesterday then  the league has been a tremendous success so far. Putting out your strongest team and winning when no one else is fools no one any more . It did ud feck all good last year . though it was fun while it lasted. not much fun the day in longford was it?
positives from yesterday
hennelly , feeney feeney cunniffe , Mclaughlin andy , Campbell.
Negative
No proper freetaker (4 / 5 different  one Probably cost us the game in reality)
Dillion's worst game ever for Mayo
Ref was cuck altogether  free count 35 against Mayo, 23 against kerry , Crazy stuff
handling on both side was terrible
every thing else was pretty neutra,l a dog of a game
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

highorlow

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Tubberman

Quote from: highorlow on February 24, 2011, 08:26:10 PM
Who went away on holidays?

Keith Higgins gone to Oz for a few weeks (3 I think).
Not sure if it's holidays or some other reason e.g. wedding or something.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."