?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Under Lights on September 09, 2018, 09:40:31 PM
Quote from: wide as a gate! on September 08, 2018, 09:35:28 PM
Any reports from matches so far?

https://mobile.twitter.com/darrellcoyles/status/1038867787035422720/video/1

That's shocking. Magherafelt have known exactly what to expect for the guts of a year and that's their response.

Heading for a series of 0-1 to 0-0 games in the not too distant future.

Although thirty years ago there weren't many more scores.

paddyjohn

Stick a knife in every ball in the county. Forgot Derry football. Disgraceful, I tell you what I'm finished with them after that.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: paddyjohn on September 09, 2018, 10:01:40 PM
Stick a knife in every ball in the county. Forgot Derry football. Disgraceful, I tell you what I'm finished with them after that.

In fairness, that's how our neighbours used to deal with an impending win for the Davitt's.

Chief

Magherafelt management need to take a long look at themselves.

Too many talented players in their ranks to be playing that pointless and idiotic brand of football.

You'd be better to get completely stuffed than to adopt a system that allows the opposition to dander across their own 45 with the ball for 5 minutes without anyone laying a glove on them.

RedHand88

Is it true it wasn't even at full-time, it was at the end of the first half?!

Mario

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 09, 2018, 11:28:51 PM
Would it not be a lot worse if it was at full-time?

Magherafelt are getting a lot of abuse for this but I can understand why they did it, going in a point down at ht against the best team in the county and getting a chance to regroup isn't the worst outcome, better than pushing up and conceding another point or goal just before ht. They probably thought let's get a turnover and try and build a counter but weren't counting on Slaughtneil playing among themselves for 5 minutes.

At end of day neither team was trying to score and Slaughtneil should share part of the blame. As good as Slaughtneil are, when I go to watch them at Owenbeg I don't expect to be entertained, they play boring effective possession football. If they come up against another team that plays it eg Coleraine or Ballinascreen the game is terrible and inevitably Slaughtneil win by a couple of points as they have better players. The problem is if you don't play that way and come up against a team of equal ability that does you will get beat.

That video is a microcosm of all that is wrong with Gaelic at the minute but I don't know what the solution is.

Chief

Quote from: Mario on September 10, 2018, 01:25:02 AM

Magherafelt are getting a lot of abuse for this but I can understand why they did it, going in a point down at ht against the best team in the county and getting a chance to regroup isn't the worst outcome, better than pushing up and conceding another point or goal just before ht. They probably thought let's get a turnover and try and build a counter but weren't counting on Slaughtneil playing among themselves for 5 minutes.

At end of day neither team was trying to score and Slaughtneil should share part of the blame. As good as Slaughtneil are, when I go to watch them at Owenbeg I don't expect to be entertained, they play boring effective possession football. If they come up against another team that plays it eg Coleraine or Ballinascreen the game is terrible and inevitably Slaughtneil win by a couple of points as they have better players. The problem is if you don't play that way and come up against a team of equal ability that does you will get beat.

That video is a microcosm of all that is wrong with Gaelic at the minute but I don't know what the solution is.

I'm sorry but I disagree. There should be no expectation that Slaughtneil try to kick or run the ball into a half of a field with roughly 25 players in it, 15 of which are opposition. Especially when that's exactly what Magherafelt wanted them to do. They wanted Slaughtneil to run into them, get turned over and then Magherafelt would hit them on the counter.

Essentially Magherafelts game plan was if they went ultra negative Slaughtneil will be daft enough to play in a way that allows Magherafelt to win possession. Just because Slaughtneil are smart enough to avoid that trap doesn't mean they share the blame

Franko

Quote from: Mario on September 10, 2018, 01:25:02 AM

Magherafelt were playing with the advantage of a very strong breeze at this stage.  But chose to let Slaughtneil run the clock down.  It was idiotic stuff.

Estimator

From the clip it looks like the M'felt management took Jim McGuinness' article literally and ran with that game plan. It looked ridiculous. I wasn't at the game and have no idea if it was like this in its entirety.

You could argue that both teams were aware that half time was imminent. Slaughtneil were happy holding the ball as they would have the benefit of wind in the second half. M'felt were happy going in a point down and hopefully stick with them in the second half.

Ulster League Champions 2009

ONEDerry

Total dross and not the just the game yesterday. The overall standard is terrible. Is there a player on show anywhere that you could say that's in the top 50 players in the country.  Any lad trying to develop as a forward has to face this shite at most clubs where he could be told to spend half the game in his own half.
Fair play to Slaughtneil for what they have done the last few years but their success has papered over the cracks across the board that the  standard is so poor. It's hard to name a forward that would make it on to county teams in the top 2 divisions.

JoG2

With Limavady beating Ballerin well yesterday, here is the final list of intermediate teams who'll be play junior next year:

Ballerin   
St Marys Slaughtmanus GAC   
Desertmartin   
St Michael's GAC Lissan   
Craigbane
Doire Trasna   
Drum

Christ, there will be a few heavy tankings dished out next year

Derry Optimist

Unfortunately personal circumstances did not allow me to see any of the Derry  Championship football games at any level over the weekend.  Would appreciate if anyone who attended any of the matches could tell me which players stood out in either the winning or defeated teams.

It would appear that if Slaughtneil are going to retain the title they will have to overcome another potential banana skin in Coleraine. The Ballinderry/Glen and Lavey/Loup quarter finals could also go either way.One would expect Ballinascreen to overcome Greenlough, especially if the latter are missing key players.

ONEDerry

First off I thought the same and you'd have a bit of concern but clubs are just going to have to try and do the unthinkable for some - develop the players skills and fitness and improve retention of young lads through to play for their senior teams. God forbid that a few clubs have to actually do what is needed to try and play a bit of decent football so that they can compete.

Quote from: JoG2 on September 10, 2018, 01:43:02 PM
With Limavady beating Ballerin well yesterday, here is the final list of intermediate teams who'll be play junior next year:

Ballerin   
St Marys Slaughtmanus GAC   
Desertmartin   
St Michael's GAC Lissan   
Craigbane
Doire Trasna   
Drum

Christ, there will be a few heavy tankings dished out next year

Link

Quote from: Chief on September 09, 2018, 10:56:02 PM
Magherafelt management need to take a long look at themselves.

Too many talented players in their ranks to be playing that pointless and idiotic brand of football.

You'd be better to get completely stuffed than to adopt a system that allows the opposition to dander across their own 45 with the ball for 5 minutes without anyone laying a glove on them.

I thought your yellow card was a bit harsh last night. Should have had a shot a few times in 2nd half too.
How was the mood in the dressing room at half time?

markl121

What way does the club championship work out this year? Does it still overlap with the league? Was hoping we would have the slaughtneil lads back for the league this year. We need them.