Cavan v Armagh - Kingspan Breffni Park - Sat, Apr 22, 2023 - 18:30

Started by illdecide, April 12, 2023, 11:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

What's your thoughts on this fixture guys?. I believe this is a tough one for both teams who will both fancy themsleves to win. Armagh have been playing at a higher level this year but got relegated. Cavan played at a lower level but got promoted so realistically both are Div 2 teams. I fancy Armagh to sneak it by 2 but it will be tight and Cavan will fancy themselves for this being at home, for me Cavan have a big strong team and will be hard to beat but it's exactly what Armagh need as Antrim were really poor and we learnt nothing from that game.

Cavan people how is your squad?. Do you have any inuries or suspensions?. Do you fancy your chances?.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Westside

It's an ideal game for both sides.

For Armagh, they're playing a team that blows hot and cold and have been deprived of a chance to play top teams because of a somewhat freak series of relegations. It will be a step up from Antrim but they will be confident they don't need to hit top gear to win this game.

Cavan get the chance to play a 'top' side on home turf. Armagh have been relentlessly talked up and many (outside the camp I'm sure) believe they have one eye on the All Ireland. In reality, they haven't won consecutive Ulster games since 2008 so there is huge pressure on the management and squad to deliver.

I think Armagh's poor performances in the league and the relegation will be better for them mentally. We've seen with Mayo what can happen when a team comes into Championship off the back of a brilliant league campaign. Whether O'Neill can play will be a factor but wouldn't be detrimental to their chances.

Cavan have injury worries of their own. Carolan whose inclusion was a revelation to the Cavan defence isn't fit and McVeety and Clarke are both nursing injuries. Gearoid looks way off the pace, he'll still play but hard to see him being the threat he has been in previous years and I think Armagh won't need to dedicate the same amount of attention to him as they usually would.

I think Armagh are rightly strong favourites and have a feeling that they may finally be coming into Ulster with a bit more steel about them. Not writing Cavan off by any means but I think we would need to have everything go right for us on the day and would probably need a couple of goals, something we have struggled with.

Armagh18

If we aren't hitting top gear then Cavan will eat us for breakfast. They're a team we always seem to struggle against. I do think that poor league campaign will stand us well and probably stop all the hype around us that never does any team any good.

Ethan Tremblay

I think a lot of people are mentioning that they are both div 2 teams and that leaves them somewhat even, 50/50.  That is not correct until next year. 
As obvious as that sounds, the realism is that Armagh played Kerry, Galway, Mayo, Tyrone, whereas Cavan played Westmeath, Tipp, Fermanagh and Antrim.  The gulf in difference between the teams they have faced this calendar year is way off. 

Armagh succumbing to narrow defeats to Kerry, Galway and Tyrone also lets them know they are operating close to teams in the mix for the AI. 

That all being said, Cavan have had a good history of beating Armagh over the past 10 years, and Brefini has not been a good place for Armagh either.

On paper Armagh should win this without worry, but Cavan will hold no fear of them and give them a tough game. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Itchy

Quote from: illdecide on April 12, 2023, 11:01:39 AM
What's your thoughts on this fixture guys?. I believe this is a tough one for both teams who will both fancy themsleves to win. Armagh have been playing at a higher level this year but got relegated. Cavan played at a lower level but got promoted so realistically both are Div 2 teams. I fancy Armagh to sneak it by 2 but it will be tight and Cavan will fancy themselves for this being at home, for me Cavan have a big strong team and will be hard to beat but it's exactly what Armagh need as Antrim were really poor and we learnt nothing from that game.

Cavan people how is your squad?. Do you have any inuries or suspensions?. Do you fancy your chances?.

I think we are pretty much back to full strength unless someone got injured since the league final. I do fancy our chances but I say that with the game being a 50:50 game. We have a tendency to raise our game for matches like this (and lower it for inferior opponents). And knowing Mickey Graham, it is all about championship so I have no doubt he will spring something from left field here. Really looking forward to it as a spectacle, should be as big a crowd as there has been in Breffni for a long time too.

seafoid

If Cavan won it would be interesting for the Sam Maguire permutations

Westside

Quote from: seafoid on April 12, 2023, 03:29:09 PM

Does Cavan winning this game have impact on Sam permutations?

yellowcard

In saying that both sides are now division 2 outfits, that is factually correct but only for next year. Armagh have been operating at a few levels above Cavan for a few seasons now and playing against the best teams in the country on a weekly basis is a big advantage. That could be countered by Cavan having home advantage and with Armagh potentially missing 2 key forwards in Murnin and Rian O'Neill, although I would expect O'Neill at least to make this match. A lot of this Cavan team seem to have been around for a while and I'm not sure they are a team necessarily on an upward curve even though they've got 2 consecutive promotions. I think Armagh have the better players and just need to avoid over analysing the game and allow the players to play with a bit more freedom. Forget about the relatively poor recent Ulster championship record and focus on the opportunity that exists to get to an Ulster final. Although it will be a battle I'm reasonably confident we will have what it takes.         

anportmorforjfc

Anyone able to get access through season ticket to buy for this game? Not letting me access game but tickets are onsale separately for terrace.

seafoid

Quote from: Westside on April 12, 2023, 03:41:00 PM

Yes. it means that if Cavan win the semi they go into the Sam Maguire, at the expense of Meath of Kildare

Westside

Quote from: seafoid on April 12, 2023, 04:36:59 PM
Quote from: Westside on April 12, 2023, 03:41:00 PM

Yes. it means that if Cavan win the semi they go into the Sam Maguire, at the expense of Meath of Kildare

Cavan winning this game has no implications on the Sam Maguire. If they win the semi final it would.

seafoid

Something else about Co Armagh

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/2023/04/12/sile-denvir-i-never-see-any-kind-of-modernity-as-a-negative-you-have-to-embrace-it/
"Their musical experiences are quite similar," Denvir says, reflecting on the contributions of the singers, just one of whom, Piaras Ó Lorcáin, is from a non-Gaeltacht area; in his case Crossmaglen, in Co Armagh.
Ó Lorcáin's contribution also brings the value of collecting and archiving songs into sharp relief. "Piaras is really interesting," Denvir says. "He would have learned his songs from Bláithín Nic Cána, who would have learned from Páidrigín Ní Uallacháin. So he's from a stronghold of poetry, song and culture going back and beyond the 17th and 18th century. So he comes from a ceanntar Gaelacha," she says, referring to an area that is rich in Irish culture but not native Irish-speaking.

Itchy

That's great Seafood but maybe you'll take it to an appropriate thread

Armagh Girl

Was able to access for Season Tickets, but it only gives you the choice for outside seating....Section CU.from memory the last time we were in Breffni this was also the case for all Season Ticket holders.  The covered Stand is not so big, therefore not enough covered seats for Season Tickets.  Just have to hope it doesn't rain!

armaghniac

Quote from: Armagh Girl on April 12, 2023, 08:05:20 PM
Was able to access for Season Tickets, but it only gives you the choice for outside seating....Section CU.from memory the last time we were in Breffni this was also the case for all Season Ticket holders.  The covered Stand is not so big, therefore not enough covered seats for Season Tickets.  Just have to hope it doesn't rain!

At this early stage, the forecast for the second half of next week seems quite good. A nice day will bring a crowd and a good atmosphere.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B