who turned down the visit to meet the queen at croke park?

Started by unitedireland, May 18, 2011, 03:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Quote from: Agent Orange on May 19, 2011, 04:53:00 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 19, 2011, 04:45:43 PM
Quote from: Agent Orange on May 19, 2011, 04:39:34 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on May 19, 2011, 02:05:28 PM
As I have repeatedly said, people can oppose this visit and be perfectly capable of "moving on". My reference to "moving on" in reply to Hardy is tongue in cheek.
The idea (which MANY people seem to have) that if you oppose the visit, then you must be a dinosaur who can't move on is condescending. When such visit becomes less divisive, then the time might be more apropriate. If you think it isn't divisive, think about the topic of this thread. A lot of people are still very raw in the six counties about the ills visited upon them by British forces and by a British Government which continues to withhold the truth on hundreds of cases of collusion/state murder. If the British establishment could come clean, then maybe this farcical nonsense contained in her speech last night, and the media's spouting of "moving on" and "maturing as a nation" might be taken more seriously in the north east. "The Queen" produced a speech last night which was carefully sculpted to avoid having to make any type of an apology despite the fact that her security forces and government have been found guilty of certain instances of, and are suspected of much deeper involvement in, state sponsored murder of 'her subjects' in Ireland. It seems to be the elephant in the room for Republicans which official Ireland is determined to ignore.

Nally Stand can I ask what your position is in relation to the recent republican murder in county Tyrone?

That's a pretty leading question Agent Orange. In fairness to Nally Stand he has said on numerous threads that he supports the GFA. I seriously doubt anyone involved in, or supportive of, that act would be a supporter of the GFA.

I am not going to read through all his posts, but it would be interesting to know how these guys seem to be able to sit comfortably with a foot in both camps. They seem to be loyal to the crown when it suits them, but yet they seem to be vehemently opposed to her visiting Ireland.

1. I have never been, nor will I ever be loyal to any crown.
2. The victim in the murder you speak of was my friend so how the fcuk do you think I feel about it and how the fcuk do you think I feel about a**holes trying to drag it up to score cheap points?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Nally Stand

Quote from: LeoMc on May 19, 2011, 05:15:54 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on May 19, 2011, 01:39:19 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on May 18, 2011, 06:46:50 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on May 18, 2011, 06:33:54 PM
Quote from: Hardy on May 18, 2011, 04:55:25 PM
Quote from: rrhf on May 18, 2011, 04:40:47 PM
Only surmising hardy I just know that such a political event as this was received no airtime or debate.  We debated the life out of foreign sports etc. But not a birdy on this. If a conservative organisation like the gaa,allows itself to be politicised for events like this. There must be a serious sweetener on offer.   

Or it could be that it just wasn't as controversial among GAA members as the "foreign" sports debate, etc.

Could it be that we have, in fact, moved on, if you'll pardon the expression?

I think those who lived through the worst of it would struggle to move on. I dont personally have a problem with the Queen entering Croke Park- however I can see why others would.

Aye it must be very easy to move on when the last time a british soldier harassed or murdered anyone in your locality was almost a century ago
What is the appropriate time to wait before moving on?
As I have repeatedly said, people can oppose this visit and be perfectly capable of "moving on". My reference to "moving on" in reply to Hardy is tongue in cheek.
The idea (which MANY people seem to have) that if you oppose the visit, then you must be a dinosaur who can't move on is condescending. When such visit becomes less divisive, then the time might be more apropriate. If you think it isn't divisive, think about the topic of this thread. A lot of people are still very raw in the six counties about the ills visited upon them by British forces and by a British Government which continues to withhold the truth on hundreds of cases of collusion/state murder. If the British establishment could come clean, then maybe this farcical nonsense contained in her speech last night, and the media's spouting of "moving on" and "maturing as a nation" might be taken more seriously in the north east. "The Queen" produced a speech last night which was carefully sculpted to avoid having to make any type of an apology despite the fact that her security forces and government have been found guilty of certain instances of, and are suspected of much deeper involvement in, state sponsored murder of 'her subjects' in Ireland. It seems to be the elephant in the room for Republicans which official Ireland is determined to ignore.

You are correct, people are entitled to object without being labelled. But how long do we wait until the time is right? Do we wait 10 years, 20 years, 100...
There were a lot of families bereaved on both sides and a lot more suffered injustices and injuries. Some people may find it difficult to see GSTQ played in Croke Park but others have the same issues with seeing former members of the IRA in government. Should we have waited 10 years, 20 years, 100 from the ceasefires for that?

I would not presume to  tell you to not voice your opinion or be delighted about the events but IMO* we all need to swallow the bile and get on with things lest we become green Jim Allisters.
BTW I have no objection to the events in Dublin. I would no more hold the Queen accountable than I would blame the Meath mascot for 1996 (cue Hardy!).

*I am not trying to start a debate NS, just giving my opinion.

well I could put it like this, I know a local family who had a member murdered by loyalists. The dogs in the street know these loyalists were acting with security force collusion. That family has never been told the truth. How could I buy into the nonsense line that this visit moves people forward and still look into the eyes of anyone in that family? This visit is still too insulting and hypocritical to many of the people who should be looked out for most. When britain acknowledges that they were directly involved in a conflict here and not some poor refferee, then I would sit up and take them seriously or take their head of state's speeches seriously.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Ulick

Anyone know how many Co Board reps went to meet her granda when he came to visit?

red hander

Quote from: ONeill on May 18, 2011, 08:03:08 PM
I think it was a poor move by the Derry officials not to attend today as it might be their only chance to attend Croker on a big occasion for a few more decades.

Yep, they'd have certainly felt at home with the Saxe Coburg Gothas considering the amount of inbreeding has gone on in that clan

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 19, 2011, 05:32:59 PM
well I could put it like this, I know a local family who had a member murdered by loyalists. The dogs in the street know these loyalists were acting with security force collusion. That family has never been told the truth. How could I buy into the nonsense line that this visit moves people forward and still look into the eyes of anyone in that family? This visit is still too insulting and hypocritical to many of the people who should be looked out for most. When britain acknowledges that they were directly involved in a conflict here and not some poor refferee, then I would sit up and take them seriously or take their head of state's speeches seriously.

So you're not willing to move on then. Why do you get so upset when people point out the fact?

Eamonnca1

The idea (which MANY people seem to have) that if you oppose the visit, then you must be a dinosaur who can't move on is condescending.

It's the truth. You don't want to move on by your own admission. Fact.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 19, 2011, 07:15:20 PM
The idea (which MANY people seem to have) that if you oppose the visit, then you must be a dinosaur who can't move on is condescending.

Aye that's it. Drop the condescending, better than thou shite.

ONeill

I see Tyrone GAA are saying they weren't asked.

I think I'm insulted by this. I'll ask around to see if I am.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 19, 2011, 07:46:52 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 19, 2011, 07:15:20 PM

Aye that's it. Drop the condescending, better than thou shite.
Ok. With all due respect, you're incapable of moving on.

Is that better?

trueblue1234

You're a bit slow Eamonn. NS has stated that he doesn't believe that enough has been done by the British to allow everyone to move on. That doesn't mean he's Incapable of moving on. Nor does it make him a dinosar. Your last few posts have been extremely condescending.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Rossfan

In "De Paper" today :-

Ulster GAA boards claim Croke Park snub for Queen's visit
By John Fogarty

Friday, May 20, 2011

FOUR of the five Ulster county boards in the North who did not attend Queen Elizabeth II's visit to Croke Park on Wednesday have claimed they weren't invited to the event.

a d v e r t i s e m e n t

County board officials from Tyrone, Fermanagh, Derry and Antrim told the Irish Examiner they were not asked to go to Headquarters for the British monarch's historic trip.

However, it is understood all counties' Central Council delegates were extended an invitation to attend.

Only Down were reported to have been represented at the Jones' Road venue, while it was claimed neither the Donegal, Cavan or Monaghan boards had any officials there.

But a number of delegates from the five counties were unable to get to Croke Park due to work commitments and it is believed the invitation was non-transferable.

Armagh, the fifth Ulster county who had no representation at the visit, refused to comment on the matter.

"It's not something we want to get involved in," said county secretary Paddy Óg Nugent. "We will be saying nothing about it whatsoever."

However, Tyrone chairman Ciaran McLaughlin was adamant in his claim his county hadn't been requested to be in attendance on Wednesday.

"I've no comment to make on it, to be honest, quite simply because the counties weren't invited individually in the first place," he said, "and that's the bottom line.

"There's no point in me saying anything more about it. People can say what they want but I know the facts and that's what I'm sticking with."

Fermanagh secretary Tom Boyle also insisted his board had not been asked to attend.

He also raised the issue of GAA President Christy Cooney's letter to counties instructing them that he was the Association's only spokesperson on the event at Croke Park.

"The only correspondence we got from Croke Park was the letter in which we were told the only person allowed to comment on the queen's visit was the Uachtarán," stated Boyle.

"I have had no more correspondence about it since then.

"The information that seems to have gone out seems to imply all county secretaries and chairmen were invited to the event. They were not all invited to the event.

"I can understand why some people weren't invited because of keeping up appearances and all that sort of thing. But there was no formal invitation sent to the Fermanagh secretary or chairman."

Derry secretary Liam Peoples echoed Boyle's point about being told not to comment about the occasion.

"We were instructed not to speak about the visit. The only person permitted to was the president but nobody else was given the opportunity to comment.

"I don't know what the protocol was, whether there were some people invited and some people who weren't but I wouldn't be annoyed about it."

Peoples' equivalent in Antrim, Frankie Quinn, confirmed neither he nor the board received an invitation to be present for the queen's visit.

"No invitation came to me for me personally or the county board," he said.

While maintaining their silence about the visit as requested by Cooney, several officials in Ulster are furious with the manner in which the matter has been dealt with by central GAA powers from a public relations perspective.

Some have even suggested they have been "gagged" by Croke Park.

Cooney's directive had been an attempt to ensure the Association maintained a dignified response to the visit.

This appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Friday, May 20, 2011

Read more: http://irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/ulster-gaa-boards-claim-croke-park-snub-for-queens-visit-155218.html#ixzz1MsVxtDtZ
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Banana Man

to be honest i think this 'gang up on Nally' mentality or anyone who dares object to the queen is disgusting. Especially the cheap dig at trying to corner him on the murder of a policeman when everyone knows his position. In fact that is absolutley rotten.

He doesn't agree with the Queen's visit, neither do I - i don't think the time is right yet but out of respect for democracy I am keeping my own counsel. She's not that big an event to me as she has come to Ireland many times, this is just one more to me.

But to try and vilify Nally because he has a stance is sickening and i despair for the future of Ireland where no one is allowed to object to something they don't agree with, are we returning to our role as serf's?

haranguerer

Christ, some organisation it seems the GAA has turned into - a complete dictatorship. Its really worrying.

Whatever your views on the queen, and what the right thing to do is, and how it shows how progressive we are, the GAA represents its members, and the hierarchy should be aware of this. Instead it seems they're acting with impunity, believing to be safe from criticism because their stance is largely supported by the media and wider public as a whole.

Sean Kelly was interviewed on bbc ni (radio) and he was saying how great it was and how it showed we were great etc, and how much we had in common - quote ' we speak the same language' - am I mistaken in believing the GAA was set up specifically to promote Irish language and culture, and here this clown is speaking on his authority as an ex-gaa president contradicting everything the organsiation was set up for?! Its a joke.

Personally, I'm not that bothered the queen came, but its galling to see my president been a patronising bitch with her 'waows', and much moreso the gaa showing absolutely no respect for their members by purporting to speak for all without checking what all wanted them to say. They could have been a lot more dignified without being any less welcoming. Their entire ideals ditched it seems for the sake of a weeks good publicity.

Tubberman

Quote from: haranguerer on May 20, 2011, 10:16:43 AM
Christ, some organisation it seems the GAA has turned into - a complete dictatorship. Its really worrying.

Whatever your views on the queen, and what the right thing to do is, and how it shows how progressive we are, the GAA represents its members, and the hierarchy should be aware of this. Instead it seems they're acting with impunity, believing to be safe from criticism because their stance is largely supported by the media and wider public as a whole.

Sean Kelly was interviewed on bbc ni (radio) and he was saying how great it was and how it showed we were great etc, and how much we had in common - quote ' we speak the same language' - am I mistaken in believing the GAA was set up specifically to promote Irish language and culture, and here this clown is speaking on his authority as an ex-gaa president contradicting everything the organsiation was set up for?! Its a joke.

Personally, I'm not that bothered the queen came, but its galling to see my president been a patronising bitch with her 'waows', and much moreso the gaa showing absolutely no respect for their members by purporting to speak for all without checking what all wanted them to say. They could have been a lot more dignified without being any less welcoming. Their entire ideals ditched it seems for the sake of a weeks good publicity.

Was Sean Kelly speaking as an Irish MEP or as a GAA member?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rossfan

What percentage of the GAA membership are actively promoting an Ghaeilge?
What percentage of GAA players or officials are able to be interviewed as Gaeilge ar TG4?
98% of Irish speak English ( unfortunately ) as their forst language and the GAA percentage is about the same I suspect.
Are they all to be "harangued"   :D or is that honour specially reserved for Sean Kelly because he upset the backwoodsmen while he was Uachtaráin?

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM