Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, Ireland, July 2013

Started by Sandino, November 28, 2012, 02:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: T Fearon on July 08, 2013, 09:03:13 PM
Sorry but multi millionaires and tax evaders rabbiting on about oppression,and the poor downtrodden salt of the earth do not tug at my heartstrings,nor do I need to know that they pretend to care.

Still won't answer what is a simple question.

J70

One also wonders why Springsteen so vociferously campaigns for and endorses Democrats, as opposed to Republicans, who, if you believe Tony, should be his natural political bedfellows.

T Fearon

That's a simple one.Democrats theoretically are the fit for his lyrics.Look I'm not even saying that Sprinsteen and Bono don't believe in their respective causes,but the fact that they are sitting on millions,and add to their vast wealth each day,means that they benefit personally and willingly from the "system" they claim to despise,and they both have necks made of brass to continue to pontificate lyrically or otherwise against the system.

They cannot separate their beliefs from the system and retain credibility or as Bono says of his tax efficient schemes "That's the way business works"

ONeill

100% behind Anthony here. Bruce has fooled you all.

Would also like to throw Nathan Carter into the mix. I bet he hasn't even tasted a Wagon Wheel. Wee skitter has women and children up dancing and him never ates chocolate himself. Pisses me off. Fcuk you Nathan.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

T Fearon

Thanks Shane.I knew I could rely on your support. :P

ziggy90

Quote from: ONeill on July 09, 2013, 07:55:45 AM
100% behind Anthony here. Bruce has fooled you all.

Would also like to throw Nathan Carter into the mix. I bet he hasn't even tasted a Wagon Wheel. Wee skitter has women and children up dancing and him never ates chocolate himself. Pisses me off. Fcuk you Nathan.

Says it all really :o.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

J70

Quote from: T Fearon on July 09, 2013, 06:27:35 AM
That's a simple one.Democrats theoretically are the fit for his lyrics.Look I'm not even saying that Sprinsteen and Bono don't believe in their respective causes,but the fact that they are sitting on millions,and add to their vast wealth each day,means that they benefit personally and willingly from the "system" they claim to despise,and they both have necks made of brass to continue to pontificate lyrically or otherwise against the system.

They cannot separate their beliefs from the system and retain credibility or as Bono says of his tax efficient schemes "That's the way business works"

Theoretically?

Democrats means much higher taxes for men like Springsteen. And as I've already stated, but you yet again ignore, the "system" doesn't have to be corrupted as it was in the lead up to the collapse. There is nothing contradictory about earning wealth and despising the chicanery of Wall Street and the political corruption that enables it.

But at least you're now giving him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his genuine belief in these issues, and no longer accusing him of "crass" cynicism!

T Fearon

You cannot, with a straight face and any credibility, wax lyrically about the poor,oppressed etc, if you're a multi millionaire operating with a commercial contract and charging 100 plus euros/pounds a ticket  and exorbitantly priced merchandise for your gigs. That is the plain and very simple irrefutable fact.

Now by all means enjoy Springsteen's shows but don't try to portray him as some sort of Mother Teresa like champion of the oppressed and poor, none of whom could afford to go to see his rallies (gigs) or purchase his (commercial) output or branded merchandise (official of course, not to be confused with the hawkers selling material of similar quality at a much more competitive rate)

J70

Quote from: T Fearon on July 09, 2013, 10:57:30 AM
You cannot, with a straight face and any credibility, wax lyrically about the poor,oppressed etc, if you're a multi millionaire operating with a commercial contract and charging 100 plus euros/pounds a ticket  and exorbitantly priced merchandise for your gigs. That is the plain and very simple irrefutable fact.

Now by all means enjoy Springsteen's shows but don't try to portray him as some sort of Mother Teresa like champion of the oppressed and poor, none of whom could afford to go to see his rallies (gigs) or purchase his (commercial) output or branded merchandise (official of course, not to be confused with the hawkers selling material of similar quality at a much more competitive rate)

Well if that's your attitude, then no one with any money should champion any cause that exists due to lack of funding, whether poverty, health or environmental! Bill Gates does sterling work, but sure he only has the money to do it in the first place because he's cleaning up with Microsoft's long standng near-monopoly!  :

And, by the way, I don't recall equating Springsteen with Mother Theresa.

johnneycool

Quote from: J70 on July 09, 2013, 01:50:24 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on July 09, 2013, 10:57:30 AM

Well if that's your attitude, then no one with any money should champion any cause that exists due to lack of funding, whether poverty, health or environmental! Bill Gates does sterling work, but sure he only has the money to do it in the first place because he's cleaning up with Microsoft's long standng near-monopoly!  :

And, by the way, I don't recall equating Springsteen with Mother Theresa.

Did Mother Theresa no have a few bob about her as well as dubious political friendships?

muppet

Tony you are one of the defenders of the Catholic Church on this site, Sean Brady in particular.

Get off your high horse.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Bill Gates etc do not promote or self style themselves as the Champions of the oppressed, they quietly, in the latter stages of their lives, use a substantial portion of their wealth for the benefit of others.

The crucial difference here is that Springsteen and Bono, above all other major recording artists, allegedly side with the poor and oppressed and arguably do so only for crass commercial reasons and for their own benefit.

I have no great problem with the likes of Alan Sugar, Richard Branston etc making millions, as that is what they unashamedly set out to do,but it's those who laughingly claim to be on the side of the poor and oppressed,while living in huge mansions etc that get on my nerves.

Once again I am flabbergasted by the amount of people who continue to take vicarious offence on behalf of these Rock stars,as if I've shattered their conceptions of a saintly figure they revere.

Get over it, believe me they do not care about you, after they've relieved you of a considerable wad of dosh for tickets to see them.

mb80b60

Quote from: T Fearon on July 09, 2013, 03:38:53 PM
Bill Gates etc do not promote or self style themselves as the Champions of the oppressed, they quietly, in the latter stages of their lives, use a substantial portion of their wealth for the benefit of others.

The crucial difference here is that Springsteen and Bono, above all other major recording artists, allegedly side with the poor and oppressed and arguably do so only for crass commercial reasons and for their own benefit.

I have no great problem with the likes of Alan Sugar, Richard Branston etc making millions, as that is what they unashamedly set out to do,but it's those who laughingly claim to be on the side of the poor and oppressed,while living in huge mansions etc that get on my nerves.

Once again I am flabbergasted by the amount of people who continue to take vicarious offence on behalf of these Rock stars,as if I've shattered their conceptions of a saintly figure they revere.

Get over it, believe me they do not care about you, after they've relieved you of a considerable wad of dosh for tickets to see them.

Once again Tony avoids answering the points raised to him.

muppet

Tony they write and sing songs about anything and everything. They make no promises and everyone is free to take or leave what they offer.

You do know that the 'Yellow Submarine' isn't real or there isn't an actual 'Stairway to Heaven'?
MWWSI 2017

belleaqua

;D ;D

There ya go again!

You're not dealing with idiots here yet you continue to spout the same rubbish over and over and have it rebuffed and refuse to answer the questions you were asked and ignore any points that have been thoroughly refuted.

I certainly don't view Springsteen as a saintly figure. The only vicarious offense we are taking is people spouting bullshit and lies in an effort to bolster their futile arguments.

For the final time though you struggle to see it, Springsteen has been beating the same drum thematically for his entire musical career. It took him 5 or arguably 7 albums before he became commercially successful. Yes we know he is now a multi multi millionaire due to his success. Yes we know he continues to make massive money from this music. However those of us here who seem to be relatively clued in also know the background to it, the motivations for it and choose to believe that as the evidence is there. You consistently refuse to acknowledge or accept that there is no element of exploitation here. It's a voluntary act to buy these tickets but again we don't accept a coherent response.

Also give me one instance of Springsteen referring himself as being 'the peoples poet' or 'championof the oppressed'? Remember these are your words now not his or anyone elses on this forum.