Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, Ireland, July 2013

Started by Sandino, November 28, 2012, 02:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: T Fearon on July 09, 2013, 03:38:53 PM
Bill Gates etc do not promote or self style themselves as the Champions of the oppressed, they quietly, in the latter stages of their lives, use a substantial portion of their wealth for the benefit of others.

The crucial difference here is that Springsteen and Bono, above all other major recording artists, allegedly side with the poor and oppressed and arguably do so only for crass commercial reasons and for their own benefit.

I have no great problem with the likes of Alan Sugar, Richard Branston etc making millions, as that is what they unashamedly set out to do,but it's those who laughingly claim to be on the side of the poor and oppressed,while living in huge mansions etc that get on my nerves.

Once again I am flabbergasted by the amount of people who continue to take vicarious offence on behalf of these Rock stars,as if I've shattered their conceptions of a saintly figure they revere.

Get over it, believe me they do not care about you, after they've relieved you of a considerable wad of dosh for tickets to see them.

And you've been to Rome how many times?

I near fell off the chair when I read that.

T Fearon

What has that got to do with two rock stars pontificating about world hunger, working class etc and making millions on the back of it?

deiseach

Quote from: T Fearon on July 09, 2013, 04:12:46 PM
What has that got to do with two rock stars pontificating about world hunger, working class etc and making millions on the back of it?

Irony isn't dead, it's been cremated and fired into space.

johnneycool

Who else do you know who pontificates (big clue right there) about world hunger and is making millions whilst living in big mansions?

Stop digging Tony.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Total red herring.Catholic missionaries and agencies like Trocaire have been active for decades alleviating poverty in the world's most deprived areas.Also the present Pope is preaching and leading by example in spurning ostentation and praticising charity.Using photographs of his predecessor invalidates your argument completely.

J70

Bill Gates etc do not promote or self style themselves as the Champions of the oppressed, they quietly, in the latter stages of their lives, use a substantial portion of their wealth for the benefit of others.

The Melinda and Bill Gates Foundation is low profile??  ;D

The crucial difference here is that Springsteen and Bono, above all other major recording artists, allegedly side with the poor and oppressed and arguably do so only for crass commercial reasons and for their own benefit.

How does it benefit Springsteen's sales of records and tickets to focus on the poor and oppressed, as opposed to youthful dreaming of escape or "cars and girls" or even foreign policy or whatever other areas he's covered in different albums? The Ghost of Tom Joad is one of his lowest selling. The latest album hasn't set the world alight either. For the first time in a long time (or maybe ever) he's not bringing the tour back to the US after Europe this year. And his partisan political grandstanding has alienated a good portion of his audience.

I have no great problem with the likes of Alan Sugar, Richard Branston etc making millions, as that is what they unashamedly set out to do,but it's those who laughingly claim to be on the side of the poor and oppressed,while living in huge mansions etc that get on my nerves.

As others have alluded to, are you this cynical about the catholic church and their motives?

Once again I am flabbergasted by the amount of people who continue to take vicarious offence on behalf of these Rock stars,as if I've shattered their conceptions of a saintly figure they revere.

I'm not offended. I just think you're talking shite!

Get over it, believe me they do not care about you, after they've relieved you of a considerable wad of dosh for tickets to see them.

Yeah, I think we're all aware that rock stars have no personal feelings for us, but thanks for that anyway!

And no one is holding a gun to anyone's head making them buy concert tickets or songs off iTunes. I'm pretty selective in who I go to see. I happen to think Springsteen is superb value for money, so I go when I can. Same with the NY Knicks. Baseball, not so much.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on July 09, 2013, 07:39:52 PM
Total red herring.Catholic missionaries and agencies like Trocaire have been active for decades alleviating poverty in the world's most deprived areas.Also the present Pope is preaching and leading by example in spurning ostentation and praticising charity.Using photographs of his predecessor invalidates your argument completely.

Pourquoi?
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Because the present Pope has initiated major reforms.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on July 09, 2013, 08:32:22 PM
Because the present Pope has initiated major reforms.

So if Bruce brings out a new album rapping about his crib and all his bling, you will be cool with him then?
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on July 09, 2013, 09:40:34 PM
No.I will be indifferent.

Thought so.

You can't simply dislike someone, you must be superior to them in some way.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Dislike? Ive been to many Springsteen and U2 concerts and enjoyed them.I just do not buy into this voice of the oppressed stuff.

Same as catholicism,I believe in the Theology but accept that many humans within the church have at best been guilty of serious mistakes and at worst,unimaginable corruption.

fearglasmor

Quote from: T Fearon on July 10, 2013, 12:21:16 AM
Dislike? Ive been to many Springsteen and U2 concerts and enjoyed them.I just do not buy into this voice of the oppressed stuff.

Same as catholicism,I believe in the Theology but accept that many humans within the church have at best been guilty of serious mistakes and at worst,unimaginable corruption.

A Question. This "voice of the oppressed stuff", are you taking this from something Bruce Springsteen has actually said, or is it deduced from the lyrics of his songs ?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: muppet on July 09, 2013, 04:51:09 PM

I thought of world hunger when i saw the gold ceiling at the Vatican.