The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Actually, maybe Trump shouldn't get credit - he still labeled the independent ethics body as "unfair" and was only quibbling about the timing, while Kellyanne Conway earlier supported the move to abolish it.

screenexile

Quote from: J70 on January 03, 2017, 04:03:31 PM
Looks like Trump (or his advisors) have seen the light too and are discouraging the move, ostensibly because there are "bigger" priorities (most would say the act stands as indefensible on its own merits, but I guess they have to play ball).

Hopefully they'll drop it.

Duly dropped . . . that didn't take long!!

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/02/politics/office-of-congressional-ethics-oversight-of-ethics-committee-amendment/

whitey

Quote from: J70 on January 03, 2017, 04:53:01 PM
Actually, maybe Trump shouldn't get credit - he still labeled the independent ethics body as "unfair" and was only quibbling about the timing, while Kellyanne Conway earlier supported the move to abolish it.

Whatever he does or says he'll get criticized....like the time he publicly disavowed the "alt right" group....he didn't do it fast enough for CNN

http://www.aim.org/on-target-blog/cnn-asked-why-did-trump-wait-so-long-to-reject-the-alt-right/

J70

He could have straight out told them it was a unacceptable to try to scrap an independent ethics panel in favour of one controlled by partisan committee chairmen.

It's not rocket science.

J70

And it did take Trump a weekend to disavow the support of David Duke, which any normal politician, left or right, would have swatted away like a fly!

whitey

Quote from: J70 on January 03, 2017, 05:39:29 PM
And it did take Trump a weekend to disavow the support of David Duke, which any normal politician, left or right, would have swatted away like a fly!

May be he had more important things going on-LOL......KKK membership represents somewhere between 0.001% and 0.003 % of the US population.  Should we demand Hillary or Obama publicly disavow every Nation of Islam or Anti Police fringe group????

That was nothing more than a "gotcha opportunity" for the MSM

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 03, 2017, 05:58:51 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 03, 2017, 05:39:29 PM

May be he had more important things going on-LOL......KKK membership represents somewhere between 0.001% and 0.003 % of the US population.  Should we demand Hillary or Obama publicly disavow every Nation of Islam or Anti Police fringe group????

That was nothing more than a "gotcha opportunity" for the MSM

Sorry whitey, but that is nonsense.

Duke endorsing him, while a story, was not the big issue. That Trump prevaricated, presumably in an attempt not to rile the alt-right/KKK/whatever, was the issue. Had he said, when asked, that he found the views of Duke repugnant and wanted no part of his or his followers support, as he should have, it would have died there and then.

Trump is solely to blame for giving oxygen to that story, NOT the media. It was a perfectly legitimate question to ask. Voters are fully entitled to know what his views are on such matters, especially when there is some common ground between his platform and the wishes of the far right.

BTW, BLM had run ins with Hillary and Bernie which got plenty of coverage, especially from the right. Even stew, on this board (probably this thread) was posting about the "superpredators" stuff.

whitey

Maybe for Democratis  on either coast that was a big issue, but the voters saw it for what it was...nonsense

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 03, 2017, 06:40:28 PM
Maybe for Democratis  on either coast that was a big issue, but the voters saw it for what it was...nonsense

So a candidate for president of the US choosing NOT to disavow the support of a self avowed racist and KKK leader is NOT something that matters?

And why the distinction between "voters" and "Democrats on either coast"??

Are they not voters too?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on January 03, 2017, 07:19:15 PM

So a candidate for president of the US choosing NOT to disavow the support of a self avowed racist and KKK leader is NOT something that matters?

Are they not voters too?
He did disavow them.....he just choose not to disavow them IN AS EXPEDITOUS A MANNER AS THE MSM DEMANDED-

The election is decided by the swing voters in the swing states.....just because you and people who share your political views have your knickers in a twist about it, doesn't (and didn't ) make it a pivotol issue for the people who ultimately decide who the election

J70

1. I didn't say I had my knickers in a twist, nor did I say it was a pivotal issue. You are dismissing it as nonsense, which I am disputing. Indeed, YOU are the one who brought the issue up in the first place in an attempt to score a point against the so-called MSM.

2. Give me a break with the "expeditious manner" nonsense. I seriously doubt you even believe that sentence yourself. There was only one correct answer to the question, but Trump hedged, probably because he didn't want to alienate potential supporters. It was only after the blowback that he reconsidered and issued a definitive disavowal. After that, people moved on, as they would have done if he'd done what he should have in the first place (and which he'd had no problem doing earlier in his career).

Trump fucked up. Accept it.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on January 03, 2017, 08:04:40 PM
1. I didn't say I had my knickers in a twist, nor did I say it was a pivotal issue. You are dismissing it as nonsense, which I am disputing. Indeed, YOU are the one who brought the issue up in the first place in an attempt to score a point against the so-called MSM.

2. Give me a break with the "expeditious manner" nonsense. I seriously doubt you even believe that sentence yourself. There was only one correct answer to the question, but Trump hedged, probably because he didn't want to alienate potential supporters. It was only after the blowback that he reconsidered and issued a definitive disavowal. After that, people moved on, as they would have done if he'd done what he should have in the first place (and which he'd had no problem doing earlier in his career).

Trump fucked up. Accept it.

He didn't... and any reasonable person could see through the games the MSM were playing, asking him for a spontaneous response to what amounted to a pile of nonsense......give me a break

Thankfully the voters saw it for what it was....and I didn't even support Trump

J70

You're embarrassing yourself whitey.

stew

Are they not voters too?

You do realize Clinton wanted EVERYONE to be able to vote, including rapists, child molesters and murderers don't you???

I wonder who they would have ended up voting for??????? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. ::)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

J70

Quote from: stew on January 03, 2017, 09:26:44 PM

Are they not voters too?

You do realize Clinton wanted EVERYONE to be able to vote, including rapists, child molesters and murderers don't you???

I wonder who they would have ended up voting for??????? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. ::)

Still on the beer stew?  ??? ??? ::) ;D

But, given that you want to introduce a red herring to the conversation, you do realize that in most states, ex-felons that have completed parole/probation can vote? Some states only withold the right from inmates. A couple even have no restrictions.

Is that all Hillary's fault?