Sigerson Cup 2009

Started by Our Nail Loney, January 28, 2009, 10:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Open yer eyes Man

I called him a clown earlier in this thread and was reprimanded for it.

Sigerson was always renowned for being the toughest brand of football in any competition.  Rarely would there have been any sendings off, never mind four in one game.  The referees always let the players get on with it and didn't seek to be at the centre of it themselves.  Sigerson was always tough, hard and brutal at times but it was the same for all teams.

It seems to be reduced to a namby pamby affair not helped by clowns like Padraig Hughes.  Others can referee Sigerson sensibly, why can't he?

Goats Do Shave

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7868547.stm

Not sure if Courtney deserved a straight red from these pics, the lad took a hell of a knock, but it looked like big Paul was protecting himself.

Big Colm Cav did the damage!

Fair play till the beeb for having highlights!

passedit

Quote from: laoisgaa on February 05, 2009, 01:38:16 AM
QuoteAusty also lead with 'there were 4 players sent off...',

Are you sure that it was Austin that gave the report - it doesnt sound like him

QuoteTypical BBC, if there was no sending offs, im sure they wouldnt have mentioned the game!

In fairness to the BBC it's not their fault that players were sent off - anyhow they always give Queens-UUJ and the Sigerson Cup decent enough coverage - at least 2-3 mins on Newsline every time they play - or there is a big game in Ulster - they may send a camera/reporter to the St. Mary's game next week.

There was a full program of National League games at the weekend and the BBC saw fit to show Twatson cruising round Europe at our expense and an item about a freestater joining an english soccer club before a few seconds of the dublin fireworks. They're beyond parody at this stage.
Don't Panic

bennydorano

I've always thought Paudie wasn't that bad of a ref tbh, I thought there were a few south armagh blinkers on when boys talked about him on Armagh threads, but he was shocking yesterday.  I actually thought he caused the melee with his nonsense,the Courtney sending off looked scandalous from where I was standing and the TV coverage later did Hughes no favours either.

The game itself was poor, UUJ bossed it from start to finish, Queens tactics have been there for all to see for a few years now so MCGuickan had plenty of time to work on the game.  Queens gave away inches in about 6 positions around MF and they paid for it.  AS stated Hughes at CHB for UUJ was outstanding, closely followed by Cavanagh.  I thought most of the damage was done by the UUJ HF line who seemed to have all the time in the world.  Queens seemed devoid of ideas with only Vernon, MCGoldrick and Kielt looking like they were interested.

Will Hunting

Just reading this blog article on yesterday's game:
http://oakleafers.blogspot.com/2009/02/poly-claim-derby-day-spoils.html

I didn't realise queens and uuj had played each other so many time in recent years. Some rivalry! Looks like yesterday was the exception to the rule - in terms of the margin of victory.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 05, 2009, 09:26:37 AM
How good is Gareth Haughey now?  I remember seeing his at full back for CBS a few years ago but haven't seen him since.
I haven't seen Haughey play for a year or two, but did he do nets a few years back for Drumragh?

Aidan Girvan from the Rock looks like a class act anytime I have seen him play.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

amigo

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on February 05, 2009, 10:34:46 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on February 05, 2009, 09:26:37 AM
How good is Gareth Haughey now?  I remember seeing his at full back for CBS a few years ago but haven't seen him since.
I haven't seen Haughey play for a year or two, but did he do nets a few years back for Drumragh?

Aidan Girvan from the Rock looks like a class act anytime I have seen him play.

I dont think Haughey was on!! The other corner back was McDermott going by the paper!!

The GAA

Quote from: Carbery on February 05, 2009, 09:25:16 AM
Looks like the Queens manager may be in trouble as regards the comments he allegedly made to reporters after the game and which appear in some of this morning's newspapers.

What'd he "allegedly" say?

Carbery

Quote from: The GAA on February 05, 2009, 10:38:14 AM
Quote from: Carbery on February 05, 2009, 09:25:16 AM
Looks like the Queens manager may be in trouble as regards the comments he allegedly made to reporters after the game and which appear in some of this morning's newspapers.

What'd he "allegedly" say?

O'Rourke blasts referee
From Paddy Heaney at the Dub
Queen's manager Aidan O'Rourke launched a scathing attack on the referee who took control of the Belfast derby game at the Dub yesterday.
Crossmaglen whistler Padraig Hughes sent off four players in the second half.  A mass melee in the 50th minute led to straight red cards for Queen's Joe O'Kane and Jordanstown's Niall McKeever.
Queen's substitute Paul Courtney received the third red card of the game for a high elbow charge on Ciaran Donnelly, while UUJ's Packie Downey was ordered off for two yellows.
Despite the high card count, the game was largely played in a good spirit until the indiscipline became a factor in the last quarter.  Queen's boss Aidan O'Rourke insisted that Jordanstown were deserving six-point winners but that didn't stop him from delivering a corcuscating criticism of his fellow county man:  "He lost control because he has no understanding of the general flow of how football is played.  He knows a few bits and pieces about pulling jerseys..."
The Armagh player went on to make even stronger criticism of the referee's performance, although he acknowledged that he was not the reason for Queen's losing:  "But that is bye the bye.  He certainly didn't beat us today. He was atrocious for both teams."
O'Rourke is currently serving a one-month suspension for comments made to a linesman during the Dr McKenna Cup.

Irish News

TacadoirArdMhacha

Very poor perforamnce from QUB - just simply didn't get going. Was very frustrating to see the amount of attempted cross field balls going sttaight to Poly men. Poly dominated the middle and even when they got the possession, Queens didn't have the cutting edge they've had in recent years from the likes of Miceal O'Rourke, James McGovern and Eoin McCartan. In hindsight this Queen's side possibly became a little overrated after qualifying from the weakest McKenna Cup group. UUJ thoroughly deserved their victory.

On the referring, i have to say my initial reaction was that Courtney stuck up the elbow but the TV is inconclusive I suppose. Definitely thought the last Poly shouldn't have stood both for charging and an illegal handpass.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

nutsy--1

i didn't make the game but suprised at the result fair play to jordanstown. i counldn't believe there were 4 sent off until i heard Hughes was the referre.
i heard jordanstown had a good plan for stopping queens midfield.

Overthebar!

ok game with the poly deserved winners, heard mcguckian was looking forward to the game and the match showed why!
poly hungrier in all departments, think courtney deserved to go seen him in the bust up landing a few punches as well, had some silly job in queens for a year to come on and kick a few stray cross field passes to uuj...your man ireland should have had a look in imo!

bennydorano

I think Joe Ireland was part of the backroom team not the panel.

Fluffysocks

big springy (adrian mcguckin) does it again! mastermind!