The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: omochain on October 28, 2018, 03:42:47 AM
Quote from: whitey on October 28, 2018, 03:09:03 AM
Quote from: omochain on October 28, 2018, 01:37:38 AM
There you go again Whitey. Limping your unbalanced way to false equivalency Limbaugh nirvana.

So following your logic the Democrats are responsible for Antifas actions

https://www.dailywire.com/news/34776/man-attacked-antifa-holding-fascist-american-flag-james-barrett
That would not be following my logic. Then your logical conclusions and mine are not quite the same. But you have Hannity, Limbaugh and Alex Jones in your corner and I'm looking to Paul Krugman for support. ..... now don't be coming back with I don't subscribe to Hannity etc like you always do. When you parrot everything they say.

So there are violent right wing ar$eholes, and their violence is a direct result of Trumps rhetoric.......am I on the right track with that statement?

So then we have the violent left wing ar$eholes, like Antifa and the guy who shot up the baseball game.  Who if anyone is responsible for inciting their violence?

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on October 28, 2018, 03:54:34 AM
Quote from: omochain on October 28, 2018, 03:42:47 AM
Quote from: whitey on October 28, 2018, 03:09:03 AM
Quote from: omochain on October 28, 2018, 01:37:38 AM
There you go again Whitey. Limping your unbalanced way to false equivalency Limbaugh nirvana.

So following your logic the Democrats are responsible for Antifas actions

https://www.dailywire.com/news/34776/man-attacked-antifa-holding-fascist-american-flag-james-barrett
That would not be following my logic. Then your logical conclusions and mine are not quite the same. But you have Hannity, Limbaugh and Alex Jones in your corner and I'm looking to Paul Krugman for support. ..... now don't be coming back with I don't subscribe to Hannity etc like you always do. When you parrot everything they say.

So there are violent right wing ar$eholes, and their violence is a direct result of Trumps rhetoric.......am I on the right track with that statement?

So then we have the violent left wing ar$eholes, like Antifa and the guy who shot up the baseball game.  Who if anyone is responsible for inciting their violence?
It's not symmetric, Whitey

Here's how the violence works on the right

@alexkotch

Replying to
@alexkotch
So let's review here:

—Thursday: Fox Business airs interview with ghoul who claims Soros is behind the migrant caravan
—Saturday morning: Neo-Nazi massacres 11+ Jews, his social media posts show he's claimed Jews funded caravan
—Saturday night: Fox re-airs the interview
https://mobile.twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1056324117329297409/video/1

How does it work on the other side?

J70

Quote from: whitey on October 28, 2018, 01:46:42 AM
Quote from: J70 on October 28, 2018, 01:33:27 AM
Quote from: whitey on October 28, 2018, 12:21:25 AM
Quote from: J70 on October 27, 2018, 11:56:50 PM
Quote from: whitey on October 27, 2018, 11:36:20 PM
Quote from: J70 on October 27, 2018, 11:09:21 PM
Quote from: whitey on October 27, 2018, 10:24:05 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 27, 2018, 09:52:41 PM
4 Jews murdered in a synagogue by a white supremacist. Fine people per Trump

This is for Whitey

Paul Krugman
@paulkrugman
·
8h
My point is that it's all of a piece: there's a straight line running from voodoo economics, to climate change denial, to deep state paranoia and the false flag hysteria we're seeing this weekend. And pious appeals for civility are not going to change anything 7/

First of all I'm not a Trump supporter, I didn't  vote for Trump (in either the primary or presidential election) and I actually hate Trump

Secondly do you blame Democratic rhetoric for one of Bernie's supporters shooting up a ballgame

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/06/14/homepage2/james-hodgkinson-profile/index.html

Last week Trump literally congratulated the congressman from Montana for his assault (for which he was convicted) on a reporter from the Guardian two years ago. He is always calling the media enemies of the people. He has joked that he will cover the legal costs for supporters at his rallies who assault protesters. He has been complaining this week that the pipe bombs were taking the focus off the caravan, using the word "bomb" in quotes. His media support and his son have endorsed the false flag bullshit, basically dismissing a real and deadly threat to leading Democratic figures as nothing but a scheme cooked up to harm him politically. He routinely dehumanizes both his political opponents and those groups he uses as scapegoats and punching bags.

When you can point to anything even remotely equivalent from the likes of Bernie, come back to us.

Haha.....and people affialiated with the DNC were actively planting troublemakers at Trump rallies to cause trouble.   If you get down in the dirt, expect to get a few belts in the gob

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/21/us/politics/video-dnc-trump-rallies.html

Like I said, when you have evidence that Bernie or the likes encourage violence or don't immediately condemn it when done in their name, come back to us.

LOL.....he was actually accused of inciting violence by the DNC

https://people.com/celebrity/bernie-sanders-accused-of-inciting-violence-in-nevada-weighs-kentucky-recount/

So some Bernie supporters got in a heated scuffle because they were pissed off over superdelegates or whatever. Do you have any actual quotes from Bernie comparable to what Trump regularly engages in?

Are there quotes of Bernie or any other Dems congratulating people for attacking reporters or offering to pay legal costs or generally dehumanizing opponents in the way Trump casually does.

For someone who professes to hate Trump, you never miss a chance to draw a false equivalency between him and the Dems.

You must not have read the article. 

"But Reid was angered and "surprised" when Sanders responded by issuing a defiant statement in which he dismissed the accusations as "nonsense" and condemned the way in which Nevada and other states have handled their delegate process."

Maybe I dont quite understand what you and Seafoid are saying/implying

You seem to be claiming that all or most of  the violence on the right is caused by Trumps rhetoric......is that correct?

So if as you claim, Democrats dont incite their supporters to violence how do you account for all of the instances of violence inflicted upon conservatives and Trump supporters by supporters of the left?

Maybe there are just crazy violent people who support both sides and will act out regardless.

I'm saying that Trump's political career is built on demagoguery. Hatred for and scapegoating of the "other", whether that is Mexican immigrants or Muslims or women he perceives as less than attractive or media legitimately reporting on his vitriol and corruption. He endorses and congratulates people for inflicting violence on his perceived "enemies". He bends over backwards to avoid criticism of far right racists. He endorses the tactics of violent, strongman dictators while doing all he can to antagonize long term, peaceful US allies. He then has the nerve (or maybe it's just cluelessness) to talk about the media inciting people while abdicating any responsibility for the increasing political tension and divisive tone in the country.

It's like Paisley preaching the coming apocalypse in the north over catholic civil rights or whatever political compromise was currently being negotiated and then, repeatedly, denying having made any contribution to the atmosphere in which the ensuing violence took place. It took the murder of those Quinn kids during Drumcree, after 30 years of his appalling rhetoric, for him to finally begin to see the light.

There is simply no one on the Democratic side whose entire strategy is to use demonization and dehumanization like Trump does to whip up his base. Most politicians, on both sides, realize they have some responsibility as leaders and representatives of the community. Thank f**k it wasn't Republican politicians and conservative Christians who were targeted and murdered this week. God knows where Trump would have taken it or what the response would have been. FFS he dined out for a week on the supposed Democratic "mobs" who were about to bring down the GOP and the country.

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on October 28, 2018, 11:20:35 AM

This is for Whitey

Paul Krugman
@paulkrugman
·
8h
My point is that it's all of a piece: there's a straight line running from voodoo economics, to climate change denial, to deep state paranoia and the false flag hysteria we're seeing this weekend. And pious appeals for civility are not going to change anything 7/

First of all I'm not a Trump supporter, I didn't  vote for Trump (in either the primary or presidential election) and I actually hate Trump

Secondly do you blame Democratic rhetoric for one of Bernie's supporters shooting up a ballgame

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/06/14/homepage2/james-hodgkinson-profile/index.html

Last week Trump literally congratulated the congressman from Montana for his assault (for which he was convicted) on a reporter from the Guardian two years ago. He is always calling the media enemies of the people. He has joked that he will cover the legal costs for supporters at his rallies who assault protesters. He has been complaining this week that the pipe bombs were taking the focus off the caravan, using the word "bomb" in quotes. His media support and his son have endorsed the false flag bullshit, basically dismissing a real and deadly threat to leading Democratic figures as nothing but a scheme cooked up to harm him politically. He routinely dehumanizes both his political opponents and those groups he uses as scapegoats and punching bags.

When you can point to anything even remotely equivalent from the likes of Bernie, come back to us.

Haha.....and people affialiated with the DNC were actively planting troublemakers at Trump rallies to cause trouble.   If you get down in the dirt, expect to get a few belts in the gob

Like I said, when you have evidence that Bernie or the likes encourage violence or don't immediately condemn it when done in their name, come back to us.

https://people.com/celebrity/bernie-sanders-accused-of-inciting-violence-in-nevada-weighs-kentucky-recount/

So some Bernie supporters got in a heated scuffle because they were pissed off over superdelegates or whatever. Do you have any actual quotes from Bernie comparable to what Trump regularly engages in?

Are there quotes of Bernie or any other Dems congratulating people for attacking reporters or offering to pay legal costs or generally dehumanizing opponents in the way Trump casually does.

For someone who professes to hate Trump, you never miss a chance to draw a false equivalency between him and the Dems.

"But Reid was angered and "surprised" when Sanders responded by issuing a defiant statement in which he dismissed the accusations as "nonsense" and condemned the way in which Nevada and other states have handled their delegate process."

You seem to be claiming that all or most of  the violence on the right is caused by Trumps rhetoric......is that correct?

So if as you claim, Democrats dont incite their supporters to violence how do you account for all of the instances of violence inflicted upon conservatives and Trump supporters by supporters of the left?

Maybe there are just crazy violent people who support both sides and will act out regardless.

I'm saying that Trump's political career is built on demagoguery. Hatred for and scapegoating of the "other", whether that is Mexican immigrants or Muslims or women he perceives as less than attractive or media legitimately reporting on his vitriol and corruption. He endorses and congratulates people for inflicting violence on his perceived "enemies". He bends over backwards to avoid criticism of far right racists. He endorses the tactics of violent, strongman dictators while doing all he can to antagonize long term, peaceful US allies. He then has the nerve (or maybe it's just cluelessness) to talk about the media inciting people while abdicating any responsibility for the increasing political tension and divisive tone in the country.

It's like Paisley preaching the coming apocalypse in the north over catholic civil rights or whatever political compromise was currently being negotiated and then, repeatedly, denying having made any contribution to the atmosphere in which the ensuing violence took place. It took the murder of those Quinn kids during Drumcree, after 30 years of his appalling rhetoric, for him to finally begin to see the light.

There is simply no one on the Democratic side whose entire strategy is to use demonization and dehumanization like Trump does to whip up his base. Most politicians, on both sides, realize they have some responsibility as leaders and representatives of the community. Thank f**k it wasn't Republican politicians and conservative Christians who were targeted and murdered this week. God knows where Trump would have taken it or what the response would have been. FFS he dined out for a week on the supposed Democratic "mobs" who were about to bring down the GOP and the country.
Trump is a proto-fascist. He uses emotion and fear to divide people. He uses threats of violence to intimidate. Fox trades in conspiracies which he retransmits at his rallies.
Most of what he says is bullshit.

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on October 28, 2018, 11:31:58 AM
Quote from: J70 on October 28, 2018, 11:20:35 AM

This is for Whitey

Paul Krugman
@paulkrugman
·
8h

Trump is a proto-fascist. He uses emotion and fear to divide people. He uses threats of violence to intimidate. Fox trades in conspiracies which he retransmits at his rallies.
Most of what he says is bullshit.

That's fair enough......but what is fueling the violence on the left?

J70

What violence?

Antifa counter protests the neo-Nazis and alt-right and fights break out.

A deranged half-wit tried to massacre a GOP contingent playing baseball, but unless you can point to a politician using apocalyptic language and demonization in the manner of Trump inciting his actions, I'm not sure what you are trying to prove.

There is no "two sides of the same coin" argument here.

Once again, you appear desperate to deflect from the appalling lies, behaviour and rhetoric of a man you profess to hate.

Seamus

This is for Whitey

Paul Krugman
@paulkrugman
·
8h

Barely mentioned in the media, who incited this democrat to commit murder?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/anti-donald-trump-campaigner-clayton-carter-shoot-republican-dead-head-george-jennings-a7895966.html

Maxine incites the mob to violence:

http://www.southcarolinaliberty.com/maxine-waters-incites-the-mob-to-violence/

Hillary Clinton calls for incivility:

https://pjmedia.com/trending/hillary-clinton-calls-for-incivility-against-republicans/

Elevator protestor and illegal alien Ana Maria Archila admits she is a paid far left wing activist to the tune of $178K.

"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

seafoid

Whitey

You are in denial. Fox operates a parallel reality of conspiracies and hate. This is not conservatism.

@joelockhart
·
5h

« As a country we have to come to grips that a powerful corporation, Fox News, is responsible for the systematic spread of racial and religious bigotry.  the president and his partners at Fox everyday spread bizarre conspiracies designed to  incite Americans.  It's

Eg

https://mobile.twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1056324117329297409/video/1

The aim of the game is preventing the emergence of a new economic system.

You have skin in the game. Your 401k.
You are supporting actors who will eventually destroy it.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on October 28, 2018, 02:25:20 PM
What violence?

A deranged half-wit tried to massacre a GOP contingent playing baseball, but unless you can point to a politician using apocalyptic language and demonization in the manner of Trump inciting his actions, I'm not sure what you are trying to prove.

Once again, you appear desperate to deflect from the appalling lies, behaviour and rhetoric of a man you profess to hate.

Ehhhh......the violence perpetrated on Trump supporters outside several rallies in the run up to the election

So the Bernie supporter is a deranged halfwit???

I think last weeks bomber could be described in similar terms but that wouldn't suit the narrative

So you're seriously saying that the only people Antifa attack are the alt right?

I take it you didn't see this video then

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aQZQaqbWNVI

seafoid

Bill Kristol is a well known lefty

Bill Kristol
@BillKristol
This repulsive and dangerous filth is bring spewed courtesy of a publicly owned corporation. Will no one on the board, in management, or in a position of influence at Fox speak up? Will no one act? Or is Fox perfectly happy to give bigotry sanction and violence its assistance?

J70

Quote from: whitey on October 28, 2018, 03:18:17 PM
What violence?

Ehhhh......the violence perpetrated on Trump supporters outside several rallies in the run up to the election

I think last weeks bomber could be described in similar terms but that wouldn't suit the narrative

So you're seriously saying that the only people Antifa attack are the alt right?

1. I never claimed the pipe bomber wasn't likely someone with mental issues. I don't think I've commented on him personally at all.

2. What does that link you posted prove? Other accounts of the Portland "near riot" suggest that the protestors thought the guy might have deliberately driven into their protest (it would a lot more sense for the "near rioter" shouting for someone to get his number plate for those reasons rather than, as the host snidely reckoned, so that they could find his home address).

But that's beside the point. I never said that leftists don't get involved in violence. Clearly the antifa crowd are bent on meeting the neo-Nazi/alt-right crowd in a fight. And I'm sure plenty of protests will attract people who are interested in the scuffle/thrill of the fight as well as the cause.

The issue is the likes of Trump using lies and fear mongering to rile up his base and blatantly condoning and encouraging violence. Your link (and Seamus's ludicrous ones) also raise the issue of Democratic politicians telling their supporters to get in the face of GOP politicians when they see them out and about. Of course, the context for Maxine Waters (which these links don't give) was the utter disgrace that was the Trump administration tearing toddlers away from their parents at the border as well as, later, the fact that they needed to be basically brow-beaten into even requesting the most basic of investigations into the Blasey Ford allegations.
Personally, I wouldn't be one to shout at a politician in a restaurant, but the incidents with Huckabee-Sanders, Nielson and Flake were under extraordinary circumstances and I have no issue with a politician getting yelled at for issue like that, as long as there is no violence. The GOP was just fine with this type of loud, vocal, protest back in 2010 when they were crying about the deficit (ironic, isn't it?) and the government's filthy socialist hands getting on their Medicare.

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on October 28, 2018, 04:26:18 PM
Quote from: whitey on October 28, 2018, 03:18:17 PM
What violence?

1. I never claimed the pipe bomber wasn't likely someone with mental issues. I don't think I've commented on him personally at all.

2. What does that link you posted prove? Other accounts of the Portland "near riot" suggest that the protestors thought the guy might have deliberately driven into their protest (it would a lot more sense for the "near rioter" shouting for someone to get his number plate for those reasons rather than, as the host snidely reckoned, so that they could find his home address).

But that's beside the point. I never said that leftists don't get involved in violence. Clearly the antifa crowd are bent on meeting the neo-Nazi/alt-right crowd in a fight. And I'm sure plenty of protests will attract people who are interested in the scuffle/thrill of the fight as well as the cause.

The issue is the likes of Trump using lies and fear mongering to rile up his base and blatantly condoning and encouraging violence. Your link (and Seamus's ludicrous ones) also raise the issue of Democratic politicians telling their supporters to get in the face of GOP politicians when they see them out and about. Of course, the context for Maxine Waters (which these links don't give) was the utter disgrace that was the Trump administration tearing toddlers away from their parents at the border as well as, later, the fact that they needed to be basically brow-beaten into even requesting the most basic of investigations into the Blasey Ford allegations.
Personally, I wouldn't be one to shout at a politician in a restaurant, but the incidents with Huckabee-Sanders, Nielson and Flake were under extraordinary circumstances and I have no issue with a politician getting yelled at for issue like that, as long as there is no violence. The GOP was just fine with this type of loud, vocal, protest back in 2010 when they were crying about the deficit (ironic, isn't it?) and the government's filthy socialist hands getting on their Medicare.

Fox is a huge part of the problem :

https://www.judicialwatch.org/press-room/in-the-news/chris-farrell-migrant-caravan-consists-of-mostly-males/

whitey

Fox News is a disgrace but from day 1 many in the MSM (NY Times, CNN, MSNBC) sought to delegitimize Trumps victory.....do you not think their rhetoric has contributed to the behavior of Antifa and other violent leftists

Not satisfied with deligitimizingbthe Presidency, they are now seeking to delegitimize the Senaye, the Congress and the Supreme Court.......very very dangerous path to be going down which could/can/will/did have deadly consequences

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on October 28, 2018, 05:43:42 PM
Fox News is a disgrace but from day 1 many in the MSM (NY Times, CNN, MSNBC) sought to delegitimize Trumps victory.....do you not think their rhetoric has contributed to the behavior of Antifa and other violent leftists

Not satisfied with deligitimizingbthe Presidency, they are now seeking to delegitimize the Senaye, the Congress and the Supreme Court.......very very dangerous path to be going down which could/can/will/did have deadly consequences
Taking the piss out of Trump doesn't result in anyone dying. Spewing anti Semitic tropes about Jewish conspiracies is dangerous. You cannot compare Fox and the newspapers.

J70

Quote from: whitey on October 28, 2018, 05:43:42 PM

How have they "delegitimized" Trump or his victory? By reporting what he says and does? Should they ignore, for example, when he refused to disavow the support of David Duke? When he takes the side of Putin over his own administration?

The Senate, Congress? They've been stuck below 20% approval for more than a decade.

The Supreme Court? The right has been up in arms over the court for years. They wanted to lynch John Roberts after the Obamacare decision. Anthony Kennedy after gay marriage. And I think Mitch McConnell has done more than anyone in recent years to poison the country against the Supreme and lower courts.

I do agree that sooner or later, if things continue, some elected official is going to be killed. The likes of Giffords and Scalise were lucky to come out of it alive. The pipe bomb nut could have have ended up causing major carnage, not least to some poor postal worker or mailroom employee.