Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: yellowcard on August 05, 2014, 02:57:55 PM
Of Man Utds 3 centre backs I would rank them as : 1)Evans 2)Smalling and 3)Jones. Evans is the most assured of the two. Jones is much too rash and goes to ground far too easily, hes a last ditch backs to the wall defender. Smalling is fairly good positionally but poor with the ball at his feet. Against better sides you need your centre backs to be comfortable on the ball and that is a glaring weakness with the current centre backs.

The one thing out of the three of them that I would really notice is Smallings poor positioning and timing.  Last year alone he was at fault for a lot of goals such as the Spurs one in January etc.  As for Jones, I think he can only be judged when he gets a good run of games in this position as for too long he has been shifted about (same applies to Smalling).  Evans had a great season two years ago and I think he could excel in this new formation.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

yellowcard

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 05, 2014, 03:30:57 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 05, 2014, 02:57:55 PM
Of Man Utds 3 centre backs I would rank them as : 1)Evans 2)Smalling and 3)Jones. Evans is the most assured of the two. Jones is much too rash and goes to ground far too easily, hes a last ditch backs to the wall defender. Smalling is fairly good positionally but poor with the ball at his feet. Against better sides you need your centre backs to be comfortable on the ball and that is a glaring weakness with the current centre backs.

The one thing out of the three of them that I would really notice is Smallings poor positioning and timing.  Last year alone he was at fault for a lot of goals such as the Spurs one in January etc.  As for Jones, I think he can only be judged when he gets a good run of games in this position as for too long he has been shifted about (same applies to Smalling).  Evans had a great season two years ago and I think he could excel in this new formation.

I'll be very surprised if LVG doesn't invest in at least one CB though. Hummels would be an upgrade on what is there at the moment if he can be bought.

Shrewdness

Mats Hummels would definitely be a top class buy in defence for United, but i can't see it happening. Don't think he'll leave Dortmund this season....A name that is cropping up regularly is Thomas Vermaelen of Arsenal..Barcelona are also linked with him, and to be honest, i'd be inclined to let them have him..He's even injured at the moment.

Minder

One of the finest ever Man Utd servants has announced his retirement, surely he will enter the pantheon
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

laoislad

Quote from: Minder on August 06, 2014, 01:11:35 PM
One of the finest ever Man Utd servants has announced his retirement, surely he will enter the pantheon
Just seen that. Gonna be hard to replace him.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

magpie seanie

United fans are obssessed with Liverpool - isn't that the way it is?

AZOffaly

It's a mutual obsession seanie. Who retired by the way?

laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 06, 2014, 01:28:09 PM
It's a mutual obsession seanie. Who retired by the way?
Howard Webb.

AZOffaly

Jaysus. Ferguson and Webb in consecutive seasons?

laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 06, 2014, 01:32:23 PM
Jaysus. Ferguson and Webb in consecutive seasons?
They are in talks with Mark Clattenburg as we speak.

AZOffaly

See this is another area LFC are falling behind. The Transfer committee need to get their finger out.

magpie seanie

I didn't even look it up - I knew well who the lads were on about. They're consistent, I'll grant them that!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 06, 2014, 01:56:26 PM
I didn't even look it up - I knew well who the lads were on about. They're consistent, I'll grant them that!

You're getting shocking grumpy seanie,  a bit of banter is all it is,  no different from EC and Shrewdless coming onto the LFC thread!

Shrewdness

Howard was an excellent referee who will be sorely missed by United people everywhere. So highly do we rate him, he should be given his own section in the museum at Old Trafford. Thanks Howard from United fans everywhere......Wouldn't be surprised if there is an issue with Vidal's fitness. He struggled with a knee injury during the World Cup. Juventus are in Indonesia and had a training session yesterday in which Vidal took no part.

laoislad

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 06, 2014, 02:24:36 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on August 06, 2014, 01:56:26 PM

You're getting shocking grumpy seanie,  a bit of banter is all it is,  no different from EC and Shrewdless coming onto the LFC thread!
Bit of an insulting comparsion in fairness.....