Kildare v Sligo

Started by Dinny Breen, July 22, 2012, 11:18:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

No excuses only offer my apologies for that abysmal performance.  No midfield no chance.
Im f...ng disgusted with that performance
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

shapes

I'm very disappointed with that Sligo performance, we have no midfield and no physical presence in a modern day physical game. Kildare had more tactics from the throw in and were able to block the runners and also put pressure on and off ball on some of our playmakers. Strange that Maye was deployed as a sweeper so early. Again we were too slow on the line. O'Hara and Egan in too late they should have been on earlier around the middle. Time to rebuild with the minors and U21s.

Donnellys Hollow

Much improved. Sligo were poor but Kildare never let them settle into it. Foley was superb again around the middle. Johnny looks like he's coming good at the right time and Ollie had another fine game on Kelly. Plenty to be positive about but big step up next week.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Richiej on July 28, 2012, 06:03:47 PM
If Kildare win tonight they will draw Dublin in the quarter final. It's the only potential draw that would comand a full house at Croke park. The Gaa don't want Kerry and Dublin meeting at the quarters stage . It's too early. So it's the dubs I'm afraid!
::)

Syferus

Quote from: shapes on July 28, 2012, 11:03:17 PM
I'm very disappointed with that Sligo performance, we have no midfield and no physical presence in a modern day physical game. Kildare had more tactics from the throw in and were able to block the runners and also put pressure on and off ball on some of our playmakers. Strange that Maye was deployed as a sweeper so early. Again we were too slow on the line. O'Hara and Egan in too late they should have been on earlier around the middle. Time to rebuild with the minors and U21s.

People are always way too trigger happy with the 'let's tear it up and get the kids in there'.

Take it from a county who was forced to do just that, it's a long an arduous road, one we aren't even close to approaching the end of, five seasons into the project. Sligo have some hugely talented players at key positions, Ross Donovan, Charlie Harrison, Alan Costello, David Kelly and Adrian Marren. That should be what you build a team around.

On today's viewing the very worst thing Sligo could do is throw a load of young fellas out there. I'd say Sligo need to hit the gym for the next six months as Kildare bullied them in the tackle so much - Sligo men simply couldn't live with the physicality Kildare brought to bear on them. They just looked shell-shocked, rattled and rushed on the ball, always worrying as much about Kildare coming at them as trying to push forward. Putting in players with far less conditioning work done isn't a recipe for anything other than failure.

seanog

Quote from: Syferus on July 29, 2012, 12:24:59 AM
Quote from: shapes on July 28, 2012, 11:03:17 PM

People are always way too trigger happy with the 'let's tear it up and get the kids in there'.

Take it from a county who was forced to do just that, it's a long an arduous road, one we aren't even close to approaching the end of, five seasons into the project. Sligo have some hugely talented players at key positions, Ross Donovan, Charlie Harrison, Alan Costello, David Kelly and Adrian Marren. That should be what you build a team around.

On today's viewing the very worst thing Sligo could do is throw a load of young fellas out there. I'd say Sligo need to hit the gym for the next six months as Kildare bullied them in the tackle so much - Sligo men simply couldn't live with the physicality Kildare brought to bear on them. They just looked shell-shocked, rattled and rushed on the ball, always worrying as much about Kildare coming at them as trying to push forward. Putting in players with far less conditioning work done isn't a recipe for anything other than failure.

That worries me from a Mayo perspective because Sligo matched us in the physical stakes. I'll have to wait for the highlights , it just seemed to me (listening to oceanfm comm) Sligo were not at the races , lost midfield hands down and lots of wayward kicking.Maybe the Mayo loss knocked the stuffing out of them, really should of been able to dust themselves down though and get stuck in.

Anyway hardluck Sligo, don't let it get you too down, still not a bad side and i really doubt todays performance is a true reflection of your potential .

Dinny Breen

Syferus, cheers for the parking advice, worked a treat, some Kildare supporters parked almost 2 miles from the ground  :o
#newbridgeornowhere

Rossfan

Syferus gets something right  :o ;D ;D
I don't think Sligo will want to see the Hyde for many a year.
I suppose Walsh will pack it in now?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Donnellys Hollow

The 4 points conceded on Saturday was the lowest score conceded by a Kildare team in championship football since they held Laois to 3 points way back in 1935.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Rossfan

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 30, 2012, 11:57:14 PM
The 4 points conceded on Saturday was the lowest score conceded by a Kildare team in championship football since they held Laois to 3 points way back in 1935.
Sure one of them 4 was wide  ;D
I hope standards of umpiring was better in the 1930s  >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magpie seanie

Thankfully family reasons meant I missed this debacle. One of my mates rang me last night and thanked me for not ringing him after the game for a report. 'nuff said.

Well done Kildare and good luck in the next round.

Give and Go

I think Walsh made some valid points about cynicism in the game afterwards. Harrisson was red carded for swinging back at Johnny Doyle. Every game I attend, club or county, I witness corner backs pushing, shoving, goading, holding or pawing the corner forwards. I have never seen an umpire act on it until the corner forward reacts and retaliates in some form. Both players might get yellow. But the forward has been penalised unfairly and is drawn into a physical battle that negates skill and fair play.
I have seen Johnny Doyle play for Kildare a few times this year. He is getting away with murder! Every game he plays he is constantly blocking opponents runs and even dragging them down. He has a great name and I suppose it's the opposite of the old saying - 'give a dog a bad name!'......
But it's that cynicism that is ruining the game and the failure of referees, umpires and administrators to see it baffles me.