Kildare v Sligo

Started by Dinny Breen, July 22, 2012, 11:18:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Sligo have a great record against Kildare, if they can do the mass defence they'll win at a canter...
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

QuoteJohnston seemed to have done well last night. Obviously I'd wish if he was still playing with Cavan but don't begrudge him playing with Kildare now. He got an extended bit of game time with the extra time so that would have helped. Do ye reckon he will start against Sligo?

He looked sharp when he came on, scored what everyone thought was a brilliant point but was controversially waved wide. Eoghan O'Flaherty is suffering indifferent form so could come in for him, Kildare will have to rotate this week so I think he will start and his cameo last night would have brought him on as he would have got a good 40 minutes under his belt.

My concern though is that he has become a target and Limerick zoned in on him as soon as he came on and for a second time in 2 weeks got no protection from a referee and was yellow carded for protecting himself.
#newbridgeornowhere

rodney trotter

Cheers, Kildare haven't bad options from the bench when they can bring on Johnston and Fogarty.
Sligo are a bit unpredictable, Lost to Leitrim at home in the Championhsip last year, and beat Galway in Pearse Pk this year. They have some very good players like Limerick, but would still expect Kildare to win that game, should be close though.

Donnellys Hollow

Suppose we can't possibly be as bad again but Sligo should be the fresher team. A lot of the Kildare team were going down with cramp in extra time and that might count against them next weekend.

Team selection will be interesting. Leper helped turn the game and both Chalky and Paudie O'Neill did well around the middle when they came on.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Cosmo Kramer

I think this game depends on Sligo, Kildare are well exposed at this stage - we know where they stand. In terms of ability I'd say there is little between them, but whereas Kildare consistently show as a top ten team or thereabouts Sligo are capable of massively underperforming e.g Down 2010 and Leitrim last year. If Sligo haven't got the attitude for the qualifiers right Kildare will win at a canter but if they perform like they have done so far in the championship it'll be a 50/50 game.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Captain Obvious

Donegal used a mass defence v Kildare last year and didn't win at a canter.

sligoman2

I think we have a good chance of upsetting kildare in this one.  All depends on attitude and i ant see Kevin walsh let this team feel sorry for themselves for a second time
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

LilySavage

Anyone know where this game is on?

Donnellys Hollow

Double header in Croke Park with Meath v Laois possibly. Cavan or Roscommon other options.

Any news on Ollie Lyons? We'll need him fit to mark David Kelly. I remember him doing a decent job on him in the past, albeit in only an O'Byrne Cup match against DCU. He looked in a bad way coming off on Saturday night.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 23, 2012, 10:30:14 AM
Double header in Croke Park with Meath v Laois possibly. Cavan or Roscommon other options.

Any news on Ollie Lyons? We'll need him fit to mark David Kelly. I remember him doing a decent job on him in the past, albeit in only an O'Byrne Cup match against DCU. He looked in a bad way coming off on Saturday night.

Think he just cramped up, McGeeney didn't seem too worried post-game.

Would prefer a provincial venue for this.
#newbridgeornowhere

Syferus

Breffni has club championships running all weekend. I know I'm biased but the R4 double bill at Croke Park was a failure last year and these games always have a better atmosphere in smaller county grounds.

magpie seanie

Hoping for Croke Park for a number of reasons. Think we have a good chance in this one.

seafoid

This is Kevin Walsh's chance to show what a good manager he is. He has the footballing brain to get the tactics right for this one and Kildare are fragile in spots .

commonman

I'm hearing Hyde Park will be confirmed as the venue

magpie seanie

Its the Hyde and 6.30pm Saturday. Doubt I'll make it now.