Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onthehill

Quote from: CornerBackNo2 on May 09, 2012, 11:10:54 PM
Heard a rumour that Wallace has quit?

Walked out of training on Tuesday night...a few things recently would suggest alls not well. Does anyone else know what's goin on?

btdtgtt

Threatened to quit / left not happy - but no resignation and continuing to play happy families at minute.
All a bit of deja vu for Antrim.

DearyMe

Training tonight - all will be made clear after that  ;)
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

Jesusjones

Its hard to believe, anyone any ideas of what the problems are? When he was appointed so many of the players were delighted. I wonder what has happened to create such a bad atmosphere?

btdtgtt

We always get the "players delighted" articles when any new manager is appointed. Bottom lines is it's too early in his fledgling career in county management to be seen to walk away from a team right before championship.
Maybe our loughiel contingent can shed some light?

Seamroga in exile

I've no idea what's going on.      :)
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Minder

Heard turnouts had been poor at training and fellas generally fcukin about, nothing new in Antrim really.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: btdtgtt on May 10, 2012, 12:07:20 PM
Threatened to quit / left not happy - but no resignation and continuing to play happy families at minute.

Told you things where not good last week, but some clown sidetracked to topic to have a go at Dick(check out antrim post page 60). Sounds as if Jerry has lost the changing room. Hope imm wrong for the sake of the players but its all bad vibes at the minute.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Onthehill

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on May 10, 2012, 06:01:38 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on May 10, 2012, 12:07:20 PM

Told you things where not good last week, but some clown sidetracked to topic to have a go at Dick(check out antrim post page 60). Sounds as if Jerry has lost the changing room. Hope imm wrong for the sake of the players but its all bad vibes at the minute.

Antrim Post "Well I just made a decision that it was time to step aside....myself and Jerry just weren't on the same wave length on certain things and at the end of the days he's the manager. I think it was for the best for everyone concerned" said Gregory O Kane

This in contrast to Wallace

"I know there's a name already being bandied around but I'm not; I'm going to hold tough at the moment.

"We're going quite well, there's a good training group, everything is good in the camp, the players are all involved.

"With Gregory stepping away, everyone is wondering are there problems in our camp. I could dispel those [rumours].

"The players are a happy bunch of players. They're looking forward to the match against Westmeath on the 19th, as I am. We'll move on."

I also was told that Sambo isn't happy either...so there's something not right.

manballandall

Think he might be a few weeks behind in ref to wing HS

btdtgtt

Is Seamus Shannon replacing McCullough then HS?

DearyMe

I believe Antrim manager is too acceptant of standards in Antrim!  His frustration has turned to anxiety as he gets close to championship. 
O Kane leaving has rocked the boat - was Wallace listening to him?
Have heard other so called prominant 'hurling men' saying Wallace hasnt a clue.

better have a clue, come the 19th!

How was county training last night????? ;)
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

optimus cheese

Quote from: hardstation on May 11, 2012, 07:51:37 AM
Quote from: btdtgtt on May 10, 2012, 10:19:09 PM
Is Seamus Shannon replacing McCullough then HS?
Looks like it, yeah.
Aidan Hamill still involved I suppose?

saffron89

Quote from: DearyMe on May 11, 2012, 12:14:40 PM
I believe Antrim manager is too acceptant of standards in Antrim!  His frustration has turned to anxiety as he gets close to championship. 
O Kane leaving has rocked the boat - was Wallace listening to him?
Have heard other so called prominant 'hurling men' saying Wallace hasnt a clue.

better have a clue, come the 19th!

How was county training last night????? ;)

who are these prominant 'hurling men' SIE and MR" DearyMe indeed :P

saffron89

Oh no is Jerry going to start talking shite in the press like previous Antrim managers.

Wallace urges Cork hurlers to get more physical

By Michael Moynihan

Friday, May 11, 2012

Antrim hurling boss Jerry Wallace has called on the Cork County Board to change refereeing practices within the county to prepare players for the inter-county game.

Speaking in the wake of Kilkenny's 14-point win over Cork in Sunday's Allianz HL Division 1A final, Cork native Wallace said club games on Leeside were not physical enough to ready players for facing the likes of Kilkenny.

"Without being critical of anyone," said Wallace, "one observation I've made in training teams in Kerry and at the inter-county level with Antrim, Limerick and Cork over the last 10 years is that club players in other counties take more hits — the play is more physical than you see in Cork.

"I was at a junior game recently in Cork and one player hit 1-6 from frees and another 0-9 from frees, and I thought 'that can't be good for Cork hurling'."

Wallace called on Cork GAA chiefs to be proactive in dealing with the matter. "The Cork Board should look at issuing a directive to let the play go, say on a trial basis in the senior hurling leagues. Referees should be told to give players more leeway when it comes to physicality in the game and not to blow small or technical issues.

"When you look at the Examiner reports it'd be better for inter-county team if three or four fellas were getting 0-2 each from play rather than fellas getting 1-4 or 1-5 from frees.

"It's clear from last Sunday club competition in Cork is not preparing players for inter-county games against Kilkenny, in particular."

Wallace instanced a Kilkenny native now playing in Cork as further proof of the difference in refereeing styles between the two counties.

"This Kilkenny player, playing in Cork for several years, said to me: 'the referees seem to blow for everything here'. That comment is the kernel of the issue for me. The referees may say I'm having a cut off them, but I'm not; I just want to see what can be done to improve hurling in Cork."

Wallace, who has trained Ballyduff to senior hurling titles in Kerry as well as training Cork and Limerick, pointed out that the Kilkenny senior team prepare specifically for physical encounters: "I've seen Kilkenny train and they seem to play a lot of A versus B matches to condition players rather than doing a lot of drills.

"You can count the number of frees awarded at those training sessions on one hand, but what's more important to me is the culture of the team when it comes to those frees being awarded.

"I was at one session when two frees were awarded, but Henry Shefflin, who was playing, didn't come out to take them. The player who won the free did, but appeared to put them well wide on both occasions; that suggests to me there's no kudos for winning that kind of free compared to getting a score from play or doing something else in open play. Everyone knows if Henry's fit he takes the frees for Kilkenny, but presumably Brian Cody gets him to do his free-taking practice down in Ballyhale because if he's in Nowlan Park for Kilkenny training he's there to play a game."

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/wallace-urges-cork-hurlers-to-get-more-physical-193564.html#ixzz1uaCKR2Kt