Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on May 27, 2019, 04:37:09 PM
I lol'd at the part "She alleges the hotel was negligent because the swing was "unsupervised" and there were no signs to instruct patrons how to use it safely."

If she doesn't know who to use a swing, its her parents she should be suing.
Well we know her father is an idiot.

johnnycool

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on May 29, 2019, 01:02:00 PM
I lol'd at the part "She alleges the hotel was negligent because the swing was "unsupervised" and there were no signs to instruct patrons how to use it safely."

He was no idiot, he is/was a devious hoor in his time with Dublin GAA.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: johnnycool on May 29, 2019, 03:43:23 PM

Disagree. He may have thought he was or given that impression, but he is/was an idiot.

Name one positive from his time?

johnnycool

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on May 29, 2019, 03:55:50 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 29, 2019, 03:43:23 PM

Disagree. He may have thought he was or given that impression, but he is/was an idiot.

Name one positive from his time?

None for Dublin GAA, but plenty of personal positives in progressing his political aims.

Baile Brigín 2

TabClear

Lar Naparka

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 24, 2019, 01:36:57 PM
Quote from: five points on May 24, 2019, 01:30:59 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 24, 2019, 01:19:20 PM

This would be a statement that would make up part of the statements of negligence and would be one of maybe 15-16 statements.  The barrister would draft it and it would generally be a catch all type statement to ensure that no possible cause is left out.  What I would like to know is why have the rest of the statements not been released.....maybe because they are not so newsworthy and 'shocking'?  People are being played...

Still risible and still deserving of nothing but contempt. She's a TD for heaven's sake.

On the specific point I would agree with you but on the general issue of media reporting of PI claims I have serious issues about the cherry picking of the facts
I didn't bother getting involved in this thread until now. TBH, I felt a bit sorry for Ms. Bailey in one way- she was just the wrong person the wrong place at the wrong time. Loads of others have been doing this for years and I mean pushing frivolous injuries as a reason for exorbitant awards is nothing new.
I have had enough direct, personal experience of damage claims as a plaintiff, defendant and witness to stand over what I am saying. Can't help feeling legal arguments don't count for as much as the choice of judge and the time of day does. Judges have their peculiarities and the outcome of any case can depend on the present disposition of the buck on the bench.
Two recent claims put me in this state  of mind.

It was reported in yesterday's papers that a case brought by a couple was thrown out by a judge in Limerick Circuit Court. The pair claimed compensation for personal injuries and car damage when another driver tipped their car in a shopping car park. (That's the condensed version.) Sean O'Donnabhain, the judge, having viewed cctv footage, said the impact was so minor that neither the car nor the couple could have suffered any damage. He dismissed their claims and awarded costs to the insurance company defending the case.
Can't help feeling that I wish we had more like him and that he saw the case for what it was- fraud by any name one cares to mention.
However, there was  another recent case that comes to mind, where I wish Sean O'Donnabhain was hearing it. A woman brought a claim for substantial damages against Dunnes Stores.
It seems she was shopping in one of the stores and managed to fall into an open top freezer!
She wanted a portion of Donegal Catch but the problem was that the only ones left were at the back of the display fridge and her arms were too short to reach in and retrieve what she wanted.
So she overreached and fell in!
(Dunno how she managed to do that but that's what she claimed anyway.) Fact is she won her claim and was awarded substantial damages. JUdge reckoned Dunnes should have notices warning people not to overreach for anything but to seek out store personnel instead. (FFS!)
What do both of those cases and Maria Bailey's have in common?
IMO, all plaintiffs took legal advice before pursuing their respective cases but all wound up with greatly varying results.
It's improbable any any of those three, or tens of thousands of others, pursue personal injury claims unless they are assured that they have a very good chance of succeeding. Chances are that they handed over their money, VAT included, before their cases were called so win, lose or draw, those who decide if a case goes forward or not are the only ones likely to win.
In short, Bailey deserves all the flak she's getting but nothing is said about the whoever advised her to present her claim and probably assured her she'd be on a winner.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

gallsman

Lar, there is LOTS being said about the legal advice she received. It has been widely speculated and discussed that it was Josepha Madigan with her on the night in question and who provided her advice on how to proceed.

screenexile

WTF is this guff???

https://www.facebook.com/470501739724875/posts/2036277646480602?s=61411625&v=e&sfns=mo

I know Tyronies are always a bit behind Derry but is this their answer to Derry Girls??

Jesus wept!!

armaghniac

If Madigan gave her legal advice then she didn't do a great job given the claim about not being able to run when she had been in a race a week later.
No doubt she brings similar qualities as a  minister.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Godsown

New program on BBC. " No place like Tyrone". first 5 mins. Biggest pile of shite I have seen in years

Milltown Row2

Your man had one of the sheep up his shirt!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Godsown on June 03, 2019, 10:45:48 PM
New program on BBC. " No place like Tyrone". first 5 mins. Biggest pile of shite I have seen in years

Well at least it must be an accurate account of the place.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Keyser soze

Anything with that bellend Hugo Duncan involved is sure to be a complete cringefest.